Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

Re: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

Just a little revist to this old post, now 2 years on. The Ulterra ultimately had 6 major failures while under warantee. A disaster and a unit clearly desinged for calm fresh water lakes, not the harsh blue water chop of an open ocean. Just too much to go wrong which was always my worry. That said, and absolute credit where it is due, I took the motor back to the dealer after the last failure and said enough. I don't want it fixed and as I know the 72 inch 110 with manual deploy is now available in Australia, I want an upgrade (downgrade) to the old style bullet proof model. I was prepared to pay a fair and reasonable amount to swap over but due to lobbying by my dealer and the history of at sea failures, Min Kotta have done a straight swap at no cost. Restored my faith in the company and Australian branch. Actually prepared to cop it on the chin that the Ulterra is a bit too precious for our conditions. The new manual deploy unit has just arrived in Brisbane and will be installed next week. I have loved the experience of "electric anchoring" and it has at least doubled if not tripled my catch rates so really never want to go back to anchoring in deep water. Well done Min Kotta Australia and I look forward to spending more time on the water and less time with the boat in the shed waiting for (another) repair job.

Thanks for the update KC, I got a 80/72 manual deploy one after reading about your dramas previously. I was hoping I wasnt wrong by going with a normal one, now I dont feel too bad about the trip to the front to drop it in.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Yep it's on my bucket list :-)
    Manual model
    Cheers

Trev

I came to within a bees dick of buying one but it was a case of bad luck & ….. a little self justification that I ended up with a manual 80lb .
    The bad luck was (after ringing BLA) that due to how far the motor needed to extend during deployment - it would hit the bow rail ( I would either need to cut the bow rail or modify the mounting ( which would then impede access to the deck hatch) ……. so while feeling sorry for my self I came to the conclusion that auto stow & deploy + height adjust were 3 more things that could go wrong - and knowing that Minn Kota's are notorious for having issues I felt better ……

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just googled electric trolling motors and was very surprised . China seems to make a very large range from $50US. To $350US. They all look similar too. Mmmmmmmm
    i wonder where these premium brands are actually made. Not castng any aspersions but i wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Just googled electric trolling motors and was very surprised . China seems to make a very large range from $50US. To $350US. They all look similar too. Mmmmmmmm
    i wonder where these premium brands are actually made. Not castng any aspersions but i wonder.
    You don't have to wonder where they are copied

An 1895 article in Scientific American entitled "A Portable Electric Propeller for Boats" stated: "Briefly described, it consists of a movable tube which is hinged at the stern of the boat, much as an oar is used in sculling. The tube contains a flexible shaft formed of three coils of phosphor bronz. This tube extends down and out into the water, where it carries a propeller, and at the inboard end an electric Motor is attached, which is itself driven by batteries." It was invented and sold by the Electric Boat company.[1][2]
    The electric trolling motor was invented by O.G.Schmidt in 1934[3] in Fargo, North Dakota, when he took a starter motor from a Ford Model A, added a flexible shaft, and a propeller. Because his manufacturing company was near the Minnesota/North Dakota border, he decided to call the new company Minn Kota. The company still is a major manufacturer of trolling motors.
    Cheers

Trev

Both Minn Kota & Motorguide are manufactured in the US & Torqeedo are German made

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Both Minn Kota & Motorguide are manufactured in the US & Torqeedo are German made

Chris
    and chinese iphone rivals are pretty good too. I am reaching the stage that made in america doesnt guarantee the best in lots of areas. Doesnt mean chinese are inferior quality either. Is it time to question this sort of product too? Have there been any tests or reviews on the alternatives?

I have to admit - $3.5k for an electric motor with GPS is a lot of money - IT isn't that expensive and electric motor with some seals - I think the price is a reflection that there isn't good competition
    Cheers

Trev

and chinese iphone rivals are pretty good too. I am reaching the stage that made in america doesnt guarantee the best in lots of areas. Doesnt mean chinese are inferior quality either. Is it time to question this sort of product too? Have there been any tests or reviews on the alternatives?
    Im sure Great Wall and Haval cars are really good💩
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    I have to admit - $3.5k for an electric motor with GPS is a lot of money - IT isn't that expensive and electric motor with some seals - I think the price is a reflection that there isn't good competition
    We are paying a massive premium here .... BLA are stinging us big time. I actually imported one out of the US and even with shipping and duties I saved over a grand. Yes I rolled the dice on warranty but I knew that repairs we relatively simple and the parts are reasonably inexpensive. .... the usual failures are in the head unit which are literally plug and play.

anyhow .... 1 year on and no dramas.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Bla are gougers. Same with cannon downriggers. The motorguide is a mercury outboard, with a full parts breakdown and support at any mercury dealer. Plus integration into navico products.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Bla are gougers. Same with cannon downriggers. The motorguide is a mercury outboard, with a full parts breakdown and support at any mercury dealer. Plus integration into navico products.
    At the end of the day the money ends up inthe same spot. Brunswick owns BLA. At the end of the day, the market sets the price. If people stop buying them because the competition has a better product, prices fall.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Imported a Cannon downrigger last year …… close to half the price - Yep another BLA gouge

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Imported a Cannon downrigger last year …… close to half the price - Yep another BLA gouge

Chris
    look there are always people who will pay more for perceived quality. I just thought out loud about the chinese units. I tried to search for reviews but google being from the US, its not easy getting info from anyone else who doesnt pay for advertising . Allibaba has literally hundreds of different vendors. But then, thats a different rabbit hole.