Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

Re: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

KC, I'm looking into one of these but will probably opt for the Terrova, partly price, partly to avoid the shit you have endured. I'm in a center consul so access is not an issue for me.
    Just wondering in your experience how they go in a bit of current. Im looking to use it out wide Red fishing and 2-3 knots of current is not unusual. What sort of run time do you get out of your batteries in hard running current? I'd look to have 3x 120aH batteries.

I typically fish in less current (but at times pretty stiff breeze) and have never gone even close to running low on battery power (3 by 120 AH) with about 10 hours pretty solid use. Really only use it as an electric anchor, not for moving and casting but I don't think you would have any issue. Mine is a pretty big lump of a boat. Big issue is that you can get sufficient depth off your mounting height to bury the prop. Cavitation on larger boats with only a 60 inch shaft is a problem. I notice 72 inch shafts are now available in the states on the standard model, but, as at this time, they are only on the Ulterras in Australia. My motor is now with an authorised repair agent awaiting outcome of warrantee claim. Will post results but, having become so spoilt, proably won't use the boat until it is fixed. Back to barra bashing for a while. Life's hard in the Whitsundays.

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I typically fish in less current (but at times pretty stiff breeze) and have never gone even close to running low on battery power (3 by 120 AH) with about 10 hours pretty solid use. Really only use it as an electric anchor, not for moving and casting but I don't think you would have any issue. Mine is a pretty big lump of a boat. Big issue is that you can get sufficient depth off your mounting height to bury the prop. Cavitation on larger boats with only a 60 inch shaft is a problem. I notice 72 inch shafts are now available in the states on the standard model, but, as at this time, they are only on the Ulterras in Australia. My motor is now with an authorised repair agent awaiting outcome of warrantee claim. Will post results but, having become so spoilt, proably won't use the boat until it is fixed. Back to barra bashing for a while. Life's hard in the Whitsundays.
    Hi Kc
    sorry to here about the major problem you had with your minn Kota, I hope bla will look after you and repair or replace your unit

I am looking at putting a trolling motor onto my 5.4 performance plate centre console boat and I am looking at the terrova minn Kota or motorguide xi5
    what dose you mate think of the motorguide I ask this because it look like I will be have to replacing my sounder also and l like the lowrance Ti 9" .

Again i hope all works out good for you.

Motorguide appears to be fine and a good bit cheaper. It does not look and feel as "robust" and this appears to be a pretty general opinion. Spot lock on the motorguide is excellent and I believe the newer min kota models also have improved GSP capacity for better spot lock. The older models wander around quiet a bit in breeze. They work fine in a good steady current but not in areas of low current and breeze. Lots of reviews on sites like The Hull Truth from users of both. I would rate my satisfaction level with the 55 terranova on my little boat at about 6/10 (due to wander) and the ulterra 9/10 for performance and fishability when it works but 3/10 for reliability.

Bit of an update for those who followed this. I got the ulterra back and refitted after warrantee repairs.....BUT...it appears they replaced the mother board with a new one, but one programmed for a 60 inch shaft. So when I take the 72 all the way down it stops dead with a full 12 inches of shaft stuck up in the air. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the 72 in the first place....sigh. Back she goes again. Kind of thought it would be something they would check before it left the workshop.

I thought that you could adjust it yourself. I have mislaid my cd so cannot check so Give them a ring.
    Cheers
    Ray

Local dealer rang repairer and we worked through the re-set program over the phone but the mother board is "apparently" set for a 60 inch and it needs a (another) new 72 board.

No good mate. Might stick with the anchor and deckie set up for now. Cheaper but does make a whining noise when I move a lot.

Know what you mean. Missus is getting a bit too long in the tooth these days so will stick with the leccy.

Hope you get it sorted kc.
    I read this thread with great interest !
    boats getting a rebuild now so will be off the water for probably 12 months. I thought the anchor winch was a fantastic new addition and with
    70 % of my fishing solo, a game changer !!!
    But these minn kota machines, wow, I can sure see the benefits.
    I had always thought they were for lakes and calm bays and no good for a fibreglass 5.5 mtr boat, so this has really got my interest up.
    I noted you said your catch rate jumped markedly ? I quite often chase whiting, which has made me put a dampner/ stocking over the anchor chain to
    quieten the anchor operation down, but one of these beasts, that would be a game changer.
    Tell me, it sounds as though there only bow fitted ? ( as mentioned, seen them advertised but never taken any notice)
    C

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Tell me, it sounds as though there only bow fitted ? ( as mentioned, seen them advertised but never taken any notice)
    C
    You can very successfully mount a bow mount MG (or MK I guess) on the stern of the boat. Mine worked a charm on my Cruise Craft until I sold the boat. Just need to find the mounting method, but on the CC it was easy. Mat.

Thanks mace, mines an older model cruise craft. Already starting to do some searching on these.
    cheers
    C

Mine fit perfectly on the rear-step area. not sure what model you've got though. Mat

More and more getting fitted up this way and a mate just fitted a 112 with 60 inch shaft on the 6 meter cruise craft 1/2 cab. They are revolutionising reef fishing. Really good for deep water shoals and quickly moving from bombie to bombie in the shallows. Don't think they will ever replace an anchor for things like whiting or bream fishing and I still use an anchor a lot in my creek boat if I am bait fishing. Happy to go out on a limb and say 200% more fish (at least) using one of these compared to anchoring if you are fishing reef edges, bombies or shoals. Have never seen one stern fitted. This would worry me a little pointing stern on to any waves plus not be as efficient in terms of the drag effect of the "blunt end" facing into sea or current.

Here is mates boat . Cruisecraft with bow mounted 112 lb Terrova. Has cut and hinged bow rail to allow deploy/stow motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images