Thread: Custom light spin for for the grand son

Custom light spin for for the grand son

Our oldest grand son has been wanting a rod built for him for a couple of years.
    I've held off mainly because he wanted a weave, but the themes he wanted were way too complicated.
    I finally decided that the only way he'd get the theme he wanted (mainly Thor, Hulk & Captain America) was to use decals.

Now that he's getting to an age that he can start to look after things, we decided to use some of the bits we had around.
    Blank is a United Composites G-USA graphite. Can't remember the model but it's about 3-6kg.
    Reel seat/Grip assembly is Matagi.
    Guides are PacBay Tich something or other.
    Decals are printed on clear laser decal paper and put over Bullards pearl white thread.
    Bullards black and Justice red metallic with Madeira gold sparkle tape round out the colour scheme.

There's no real advanced skills on this one. In fact it's very basic.
    The hardest part being the layout of the JT Dragon scale which was done with D thread then a very light coat of epoxy, but you could use gyprock mesh tape for that too.

Mainly putting it up to show people that even a beginner could build a nice looking rod with a little imagination.
    It's not so much the bling that makes a custom rod, but the fact that it's made using the bits you want and all put together to work with your reel of choice and more importantly, your size and style of fishing.

Seeing as how he's waited so long I through in a Daiwa 2000 reel and tackle bag with some gear to get him started.
    Also putting a catalogue with a heap of gear hilighted just so his old man doesn't get off scott free
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Re: Custom light spin for for the grand son

very nice I'm sure the lad will have many a happy day fishing

owen,
    that's a trick piece of work right there.

ian

Owen,
    Just right neither over done or under done,I know who his favorite Grandad is.
    Cheers Graham

Great looking rod Owen!

Will U be my grandad