Thread: Does anyone use Silicone spray ???

Does anyone use Silicone spray ???

Does anyone use silicone spray when cleaning down rods, reels, lures, split rings and hooks etc.

Re: Does anyone use Silicone spray ???

Spray with the hose that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Spray with the hose that's about it
    Ive moved away from the hose down these days. I like to use warm water under the tap or shower to disperse salt better plus control the water so as not to force it into the reel un-necessarily. Then when its dried off I use silicone spray. Ive been using it for about 18 months now and so far so good. As with water it doesn't need to be applied everywhere and gets a light wipe down after application. Seems to work a treat. After flicking hardbodies I throw them all in the sink with warm water, hang them all up to dry and then give them a good hit with silicone spray emphasis on the split rings and lure connections.
    The spray cans usually come with the plastic tube connection this helps direct a spray into tight areas like right up under rod guides where water/salt can hold. Same goes for the screws on reels.
    If left on a surface such as a rod or reel body it can hold dust.

I have read up a little about the pro's and con's of use on different materials and as long as it is wiped down from painted reel bodies it seems to be good.
    Maybe somene has had experience good or bad? I'd like to hear it.

Steve

I firstly clean my rods and reels with warm soapy water then rinse them off with warm water. I then spray the reel winch and guides and my reels with lanolin or Lanox whick is made from sheep wool. This does not affect U when it gets onto your line or hands as it does not have any petro oil in it thus does not contain ate your bait or braid or nylon line.

Ken

Great point Ken, one area I am hesitant to overspray onto is the line. Also silicone is VERY slippery so I ensure grips and handles are wiped down or avoided. I have used lanolin, it is definately a great product, a little too greasy for my liking. If the petrolium chemical is in the propellant would Lanolin spray also have it. Or would you use a pump bottle instead of an aerosol? Also the silicone spray is "food grade" so I'd imagine it wouldn't be much of a chemical deterant to fish.
    Hey Tuna flavored silicone spray, huh huh?

just a warm wash under the shower.

i was racing karts for a while and the best product to clean rubber marks of my panels was any wd40 or inox lanox etc
    dont know how they can say its safe when it dissolves racing slick rubber enough to wiped off with a cloth.