Thread: 1770 or Bundaberg for coral trout and reds

1770 or Bundaberg for coral trout and reds

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to Bundaberg to visit my parents for a week over Easter. Am dragging the boat up and intend on taking a few of my old mates for a fish.

I'll be chasing trout and reds mainly. Just wondering whether people think I would be better off launching at 1770 or Bundaberg. I went up to 1770 for the first time at New Years and got a few trout and red throat when I explored around Fitzroy. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to fishing anywhere north of Brisbane so would appreciate any advice.

I've already red Banana's tips on Coral trout which looks like a good start.

The boat is 6.2m walkaround plate boat so range isn't an issue, but I'd prefer to launch as close to the best fishing as possible. Also I planned on doing an overnighter so that is another factor.

Thanks guys!

Re: 1770 or Bundaberg for coral trout and reds

Seen the weather for easter. :-(

I will be up during the week after the long weekend.. I had a look at the wind maps but they only go up until Saturday 4 April, which is about 3 days before I plan on heading out.

Would still love any suggestions, weather permitting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason89 View Post
    I will be up during the week after the long weekend.. I had a look at the wind maps but they only go up until Saturday 4 April, which is about 3 days before I plan on heading out.

Would still love any suggestions, weather permitting!!
    You haven't said where u want to fish. That will determine the answer to your question. If u wanna fish the southern end of the bunker group, bundy is a good choice. If u wanna hit the norther end of the bunker group, 1770 makes more sense.

I have no particular destination in mind. I was asking which area out from Bundy or 1770 is better for catching trout and reds?

I'm thinking if the weather is fishable but not fantastic I'd prefer to head out of 1770 so I can anchor in Fitzroy lagoon when I'm not fishing.. As I said all I want is to fish somewhere that is more likely to hold a few quality fish

1770 is better I reckon. A lot closer to shelter too if you get some bad weather.