Thread: GC Bag Out - Jew and Spanyids 22/3/2015

GC Bag Out - Jew and Spanyids 22/3/2015

Headed out Sunday morning for a quick fish on the 24 fathom reefs off the Gold Coast. Baits were small but plentiful. Anchored up on my Jew spot and managed to get 2 nice fish in quick succession, lost another 3 better quality fish in the process due to being taken into the structure I was fishing. Also got bitten off by a good Spanyid on mono. Once I got my bag of Jew I then targeted the Spanyids and they were around in good numbers. I lost plenty due to light wire bite offs but they would not touch the heavy stuff. Ended up with my bag of 7-10kg fish.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: GC Bag Out - Jew and Spanyids 22/3/2015

What an awesome day out!
    All took the live bait?

I lost plenty due to light wire
    mate what was size holding and what was breaking??

Think you need a bigger esky....

Nice

what boat do you fish out of. That a 40 four stroke on the back?
    Cheers

Steven

Jackson - All caught on live Yakka's. Jew on the bottom and Macs slow trolling.

Wayno60 - Wire was 30lb single strand, they wouldn't touch any heavier. They were biting/breaking it between stinger hook and single hook. The biggest fish was 115cm.

Badone - a long Mackerel box is the next investment.

Steven - Boat is a 4.45 with 40 HP Yamaha 4-stroke.

Sensational catch solo,out of a tinny. Well done champ.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Certainly appears as though you have the technique and spot pretty well nailed!
    Be eating fish for awhile!

Good one Leigh!

Is that a Rogue gaff from BCF? How are you finding it? Wilson ones have gone to cr@p! Just trying my first Rogue but it keeps opening in the gape. Nice and sharp out of the shop though.

Don't buy another BG Saltist. The silver Saltists are fine but I have stripped the drive on a BG and it is a different construction. I have a couple of the cheaper Daiwa Seagates. Feel exactly the same as the Saltists but only $130. Another surprise packet is the Finn Nor Offshore. Got one of them from Mo for $120. Should have bought three at that price. Just packed it in now after a few years and ready for a rebuild.

Smithy, The saltist OH has been good no issues so far, the spin reel on the other hand has needed a new main gear and now onto my 4th bail arm. Not good at all.

Jackson, we eat lots but this trip all the Macs were given to the teachers I work with so all was eaten fresh. I don't mind freezing Jew so have a few feeds in the freezer.

Smithy, gaff is ok.
    Just the one I leave on the boat. I prefer my top shot gaff.