Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dad's Tinny

Re: Dad's Tinny

If you chock it up more than 2" you will probably lose that motor off the back. There are only 2 shaft lengths available to you, 15" and 20" that is all that have ever been made for tinnies and small outboards. Yes you can get 25" in big offshore motors. The external keel does not matter. Go to any boat shop and measure a short shaft transom and a long shaft transom. You will find that they are 15" and 20". Raising the transom 2" May help a bit, but it won't be right. Easiest fix would be to sell the old long shaft motor and buy a late model 8 horse. Looking at the prop set-up that is a very old outboard, and would be unlikely to have all 9.9 hp left. Once the motor is set up, those foils are fine, I ran them on my short shaft 15hp Merc on a short shaft Stacer hull with an external keel for years, and they are now on a short shaft Quintrex hull in Victoria still doing the job they were designed to do.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Very old tinnies had varying transom heights. This is obviously a very old tinnie. I have also owned very old tinnies, and have had to deal with their idiosyncrasies.

Sometimes a block of wood is needed under the engine mount to lift it up a bit to get the right height. Bit of a bugger on this old boat as the design isn't really allowing for it, so you need to come up with a fix. You might be able to do something with a bit of aluminium box section. Try to retain the lip to stop the engine sliding up and off when (not if) the clamps loosen.

Sure as shit though, if you add 5" to it, you'll need a different engine becasue it will ventilate until the cows come home.

The blokes who have their blinkers on and are insisting it either needs a 15" or 20" engine or transom are just giving you bad info.

Chocking it up was just to get the right height before committing to a permanent solution. I got a 2 inch section (2 lots of 25x50 rhs made into 50x50)made up at work for nothing so that's why I am starting there. Once we figure out if we need anymore than that, it will become permanent.

When it gets raised it will also have bolts used to secure it.