Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual cab ute

Re: Dual cab ute

Had a 2005 Navara ST-R with the ZD-30 that did 250K from new without issue. I certainly didn't notice any lack of power or poor performance on the beach. The truck did everything asked of it. The bump stops do grind - if not greased regularly. They do have a nasty habit of locking the rears up under heavy braking if they don't have ABS fitted and while it always got me where I needed to be with over 2 tonne of boat, it really wasn't a happy camper so it got traded in. Provided I wasn't towing big loads I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. The standard suspension isn't the ducks nuts but be wary of rigs that have had lifts. Make sure you engage the hubs (but not put it into 4wd) when you take it for a test drive and get to over 80kph to check for front shaft vibration issues. There is a heap of info on the Navara Asia website if you want to do some more research.

Re: Duel cab ute

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    ...There is no such thing as a bad 4 x 4 on the beach only a bad driver.
    Ok LP, maybe "crap on the beach" was a little bit exaggerated, but if that was the case (a bad driver), then I was significantly 'less bad' with the following on the beach;
    PAJ NT Diesel3.2 TD auto
    D40 Nav 2.5TD man
    LC 100 TD manual
    PAJ NM 3.5L Petrol Auto
    PAJ NJ (?), 3.5L Petrol, auto and manual
    LC 60 D manual a/market turbo

Some of these only once on the beach, but then so was the D22 (manual). This 'once' was a 3 day trip - enough to get a good feel of the truck.

In terms of drivability on the beach, most of the others were so much better on the beach it was/is not funny - in my mind. If that makes me a bad driver then so be it
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Dual cab ute

Yep, no worries....

Auto's certainly make life easier on the beach... well, not the beach so much, as the soft stuff. ( sand )

On the hard sand, we'll only ever use 2wd anyway.

I think the tyre pressures, gear selection, momemtum and rpm have a huge amount of influence on how a 4 x 4 handles the soft sand ( where 4wd is needed ) and all those parameters are in the hands of the driver. Other things like diff locks and LSD's are another issue. Then you could argue suspension.... leaf spring vs coil etc.

But , in the end a good driver can get an average / bad 4 x 4 places a bad driver could not get a good 4 x 4 to.

It's all a matter of experience and opinions.

I have witnessed pimped 4 x 4's bogging at Indian head and at the same time, old 1980's Hi luxs driving around them in circles, saying " wazzup ? "

Offroad 4 x 4ing is another kettle of fish IMO. Clearance, lsd and diff locks, M/T's and articulation of the suspension are definately an advantage over stock 4 x 4's.

I think we may have gone off track a little....

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Dual cab ute

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    ...well, not the beach so much, as the soft stuff. ( sand ) ...

I think we may have gone off track a little....

cheers LP
    yep, that's what I meant, the soft stuff ... and yep, we've gone off track a little.
    Pun intended LP ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk