Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: palm sized lever drag reel suggestions....

palm sized lever drag reel suggestions....

hey all. have a boat full of good gear everything from stradic 1000/t-curve to sustains right up to the big dog fin nor lethal 100.
    one setup i havent got but have wanted for some time, is a tiny palm sized lever drag overhead. narrow spool. think something as small as an okuma andros, or calcutta. have considered the marquesa ma12, torium, and talica. maybe saltist? just cant decide.
    the setup will be used for drifting unweighted baits for snapper, and some light jigging work. the reel will be teamed with a gomoku blue rod pe1-3.
    big tackle store are a days drive away so buying by post makes hard with no hands on.
    thanks, ken.

Re: palm sized lever drag reel suggestions....

Very few Lever Drags will match the Gomoku, most will be overkill. I run either a Zillion, or for a bit more capacity a Daiwa Pluton. The Accurate BX400 is a great little reel, capable of outfishing the Gomoku. http://fishhead.com.au/accurate-dfs-...custom-colour/ It's about the smallest decent lever drag I've seen. Maybe the Jigging Master Ocean Devil PE 4 could suit as well. It's a bit lower in price than the accurate. http://fishhead.com.au/jm-ocean-devil-pe-4/
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I've been using a Tyrnos 10 with 20lb line for a few years now for dropping soft plastics in 40-70m and it has accounted for some really good fish the best being an 18kg dollie.
    I do need a better rod for it though as the lucanus jig 200 is a bit of over kill for that size reel but there wasnt a lot of options around when I bought it that looked and felt right with that reel And the lucanus was about the only rod that had a thinner handle then the reel at the time.The gomoku rods look good.

I have a Daiwa Saltist LD20 single speed on a little ugly stick loaded with 30Lb braid for exactly that reason. Better than a traditional baitcaster due to the longer handle

MAte have a look at the Avet SX and MX reels. Google Charkbait for a look.

I have couple of saltist ld40's for about 4 years which have done solid offshore work. For a cheaper option they are ok. Single dog clutch in these not my preference for that style of real but I havn't busted them yet and I've tried pretty hard. They also need a full strip and water proofing when you first buy them as they leak like I sieve to spray etc. My pick of the more expensive ones would be accurate, Avets etc. Anything with twin dog clutch.

Scott

I have a little Tyrnos 10 on a Saltiga Hiramasa jig stick running 50lb Fins.......It catches the same fish where 20 years ago I would have been using a TLD25 and Live Fibre......with a quarter of the weight and three times the sensitivity...

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

I have a talica 10 but it's over kill for the 30lb setup I have. I would get a talica 8 if doing it again. Great reel with so much grunt while still being incredibly smooth.

Jigging Master PE3. A bit slow for serious jigging, but great when you hook up. Built like a tank and impressive in every aspect. Duncan from D and H reel repairs said it was the best built reel he's ever seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Fin-Nor Marquesa is the best bang for your buck by a country mile.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Jigging master pe2 has cast control as well or my new pe2 maxel hybrid but it has star drag absolute weapon only 6 in the country not offically released yet.My accurate 400 is also a beast. Any of these are weapons that outfish there ratings
    Cheers Graham

I reckon the Penn Fathom and Torque reels take the gong. Check out this review. The Penn Fathom has got to be the best bang for buck reel going around of its type. You would probably want the 15.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11570.0

after getting my hands on a few different reels like torium, calcutta etc, i ended up with a tekota 300. will convert to power handle from tekota 500, and its exactly the size i was after very compact narrow reel, still holds well over 300 metres of 20lb braid, and super smooth drag. took it out on the weekend and landed 4 nice snapper using z man nuked chicken in the pink and green glow. very smooth little overhead.

Another vote for the Marquesa from me. Excellent reel, very solid

Marquesa, solid machine.