Thread: Kayak coming out of retirement electronics update ideas

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Kayak coming out of retirement electronics update ideas

So since moving to Ipswhich dragging 6m of glass around looking for a fish is getting a little painful on the pocket so I think it's time to dust off the paddle.

Cleaned it up tonight and everything still looks serviceable bit of silicone here and there just to be sure and for shits and giggles I tried out the old humminbird sounder ($99 4 or 5 years ago) sadly it worked!!! However that won't stop me replacing it.

Looking around it seems colour sounders for not much $$$ is full of choices right now so after a bit of guidance. $200 up to $300 tops gives me a few options from most major brands but what is and isn't needed? So far have seen elite 4 chirp, dragonfly 4, and a garmin something that all fit the $$$ are any better than the other or all pretty similar?

I'm running a Simrad in my boat and it goes well so lowrance would be logical and easy to learn however I'm a ray marine fan from way back so that's an option. Also hearing good things on Garmins latest gear and I'm assuming humminbird have one around the mark too.

Any good ones? Bad ones to look out for? Any guidance at all really would be good.

Cheers

Marchy

Re: Kayak coming out of retirement electronics update ideas

I went through the same thing a month or so ago for my kayak. The answer depends on what you want to do.

For me, my fishing is in shallow creeks like Tingalpa Ck and places like Wellington Pt and out front of Manly Marina. The water is pretty shallow and there is not a lot of structure like fallen trees, etc, that I'm trying to find fish amongst. So for me it meant that downvu/down imaging was not really of any value and neither was chirp. I also reckon that a sounder on a kayak is going to have a relatively short life compared to one mounted safely within the cabin of a boat. This meant that I didn't want to spent big $.

I ended up with a Lowrance Elite 3X. For $130 it does everything I want. the elite 4X has bigger screen and better resolution I think but I decided I was better off spending $130 than $220 for the 4X. From what I could gather the Garmin 301 series is better quality than the Lowrance (and is reflected in the price). I reckon if and when my 3X dies I will look at the Garmin 301C. I did notice that the Humminbirds seemed to be higher priced than the others.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I had a look at the garmin 301dv and 301c as well as elite 3x. Wasn't overly impressed with the elite 3x but it is priced to suit. The 301's both look good and were on sale but still $299 and $229. BCF would have got some money out of me if they had offered to communicate with me in any way. Oh well I'm sure I'll find a shop willing to take my $$$ soon. Im sure the 3x would do the job however I really don't know where I'll fish (sunny coast maybe on the weekend) so still leaning towards down view or the like.
    Thanks for your opinion

Garmin is a good unit. Works well in auto mode so you don't have to fiddle with buttons while paddling. Very clear picture and readable in full sunlight which is good. Mine is getting some green death on the plugs at the moment but has a hard life on the kayak. I'd buy the same again. I looked at the down imaging lowrance but still not sold on them for kayaks.
    nil carborundum illegitimi