Thread: Which lurer

Which lurer

Hi Guys, as you know I lost my 18ft c/c to fire a fortnight ago and I am considering buying a smaller boat for creek and down the straights etc. The question is I am after any information you can give me regards hard body, vibes, soft plastics’ you name it. Most of my fishing life has been spent fishing reef’s and arti’s many miles to sea or up the island so this type of fishing is not new but unfamiliar to me. I want to chase jacks, salmon, barra and other good table fish. I am not asking for locations but lurers etc that you have found to work on the type of fishing that my wife and I going to try and catch. Thank you in advance.

Mossy
    Cheers Mossy
    Fishntales of Hervey Bay and Fraser Island
    Call Sign Fishntales VHF Ch 73 & 22
    5M Savage Cobia Centre Console

Re: Which lurer

Pristine lures and classic f18 barra lures have done the damage on many large barra for me

Nilsmaster invincible, Jackall transam and 100mm squidgy fish would be my 3 choices if i had to. Ben

Western creeks - transams, mad mullets and mini micros
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

For those sort of fish there are thousands of different lures which will all have their day.

It is more important to learn where to cast and how to retrieve. A very simplified version for barra and jacks is - they like structure - get your lure as close as the structure as possible (i.e. if it's a fallen tree, actually bounce the lure off the trunk, if it's a drain cast your lure up into the drain). Then keep your lure as close as possible to the structure for as long as possible.

There's more to it than that but just asking which lure is good wont get you anywhere.

For the soft plastics give Gobblers a go as a soft plastics novice they have done the job for me. I also like to use jig heads from a member on this site Dayoo good value and a nice guy to deal with. Oh they are both small Brisbane based operators so its nice support.
    Google Moreton Bay Charters and have a look at the success he has using these down this way.

Mark

Thanks a lot guy's it has opened my eye's a lot I am glad there are people like you that are willing to help and give advice.

Mossy
    Cheers Mossy
    Fishntales of Hervey Bay and Fraser Island
    Call Sign Fishntales VHF Ch 73 & 22
    5M Savage Cobia Centre Console

Mossy you must be devastated about your cc. How did it happen, were you on it, and hope everyone is ok..