Thread: Kids combo

Kids combo

I'm looking to get my 5 and 7 year old kids a little combo. I don't want to buy the toy crap you see around that probably won't last more than a couple of outings. I'd prefer to pay a bit more and get them something that should last at least 5 years.

Mostly just typical estuary and calm water beach fishing up here in SE QLD.

Any suggestions on combos and suppliers?

Re: Kids combo

For a reel I would stick with any of the shimano range. My pick would be the sienna for under $50.
    When it comes to rods there are a thousand to choose from, for my 5yo I just got a 8' bigfield rod. Nice slow action great for whiting fishing, and very light so she has no problem holding it.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

For young kids, a glass rod is best as they are a bit more forgiving than graphite to everyday bumps, knocks and high sticking. Something about 6 feet with a good light tip. Any graphite spin reel from the major brands should sort out the reel. How long it will last will come down to how much maintenance Dad does when it gets dropped in the sand or water.

BCF had a good Shimano combo with a Sienna 2500 (or 2000) and a nice 6 foot spinning reel. Good starting rod with plenty of strength in the butt.

My 5/yo has been using a 'TACKLE RAT" combo. All the Tackleworld shops stock them. Blue for boys, Pink for girls.
    It's only 4 foot long so really easy to handle & I find myself fishing with it when I take the boys out. It has landed some quality fish no problem.

I handed down a couple of my older set ups and bought some nice new rods and reels for me!!

What about an alvey combo?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

First reel I had was an alvey, was cursing it when I was a kid trying to get the cast down but glad I stuck with it, it laughs at sand..
    Jn

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    For young kids, a glass rod is best as they are a bit more forgiving than graphite to everyday bumps, knocks and high sticking. Something about 6 feet with a good light tip. Any graphite spin reel from the major brands should sort out the reel. How long it will last will come down to how much maintenance Dad does when it gets dropped in the sand or water.
    This is the key, an outfit that withstands being dunked or left on the sand and how easy it is to service. A rod like the old ugly stick - If a kid treats a rod this badly and can still fish with it in the end .... Always loved this add!!!

I am surprised at how many reels use the same bearing in the bail arm roller - both my Penn applause, 4 , 6 and 8000 series, and my Ci4 Straddic use the same, and no matter which reel, this bearing will eventually have issues and seize. I buy a heap of spares from small bearing company, when there is even a hint (very distinct noise when winding) I replace the bearing. I am surprised how many anglers don't pay attention to this, and for a kid trying to reel in the fish of a lifetime, if the line guide is not spinning, to me its nearly as essential as a smooth drag, but easily fixed at very little expense. Google SMR74A-ZZSMC3 and you will find it. The rest of most reels stand up to the punishment when wrinsed in fresh water ( shower, not dunked) when you get home.

Scalem