Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Patrol

Buying a Patrol

Hi All
    I need some advice.

I want to buy a Nissan Patrol- GU from 99 to mid 2000. I don't want lift kits, big wheels--just a roof rack,awning, bull bar, maybe driving lights and side steps.
    Want some opinions on 4.5L and 4.8L petrol or 3L diesel. No turbo's. Gas maybe. Manual is preferred.

Any advice would be great.

Mrs H

Re: Buying a Patrol

The 3 litre Patrols of that Vintage are the ones that started the ZD30 hand grenade stories. That said, my Dad has one that has never missed a beat and I put 140 000 km on a 2001 with no issue. From all reports, most of the bugs were ironed out by about 2006 but there are ways to make the earlier versions more reliable and due to their reputation they are cheap to buy. All the 3 litre diesels are intercooled turbos. Both the 4.5 and the 4.8 are typical of big petrol engines in big 4wd's - go like stink but drink harder than an NRL player on mad Monday. The 4.2 litre turbo diesel is the cream of the crop as far as being rock solid is concerned but hold their value to a much greater extent if you can find one. There are some good forums on the Patrols - good places to do research

The 2.8 blows up better than the 3.0
    Agree with you re the 4.2
    There are still a few un-turboed 4.2s out there if your happy to change down to 3rd or sometimes even 2nd on long slopes or when towing up hill.
    What could go wrong.......................

Check out Patrol4x4.com.au but do a search before asking as there's plenty of info, advice and opinions to sort through regarding Patrols in that era.

Mate I just sold a 2005 4.2liter TD ute with full service history immaculate condition for its age for $17,000 I only had two people ring in 2months. It's definetly a buyers market. I wound not get anything less than the 4.2l turbo. IMO great value for money and indestructible I'm anoyed I sold to be honest. My mate had a petrol 4.8 about 99 model and that thing was thirsty. Good luck with it

Hi
    Thanks for your replies. I know what you mean about thirsty but we currently have a GQ petrol 4.2 so are not swayed by that. Towing is not an issue -maybe an occassional beach trip with a camper trailer that i am also hunting. Apart from that it will be my car to drive around town. Not looking for a ute although at one stage hubby suggested it but we both agreed a wagon would be more suitable for us.

Suppose i just keep looking and not be in a hurry to settle for something that doesn't quite fit my needs.

Anyone want to buy a Lancer.

Thanks
    Mrs H. (Ronnie)

Hi Ronnie H, The 1999, and 2000 model 4,2lt turbo diesel tray back have trouble with 5th gear towing they strip the end off the spline that the fifth gear sits on after time, it cost around $2000 to be fixed but most people do the hole box again that's around $3000, I think once there done they are right, I have 3 mates with them models and all of have had it done, and have not troubles again, so much for bullet proof nissen gear boxes, Craig

Hi Craig--I am aware of the gear boxes. I have also heard lately something about certain diesel motors in some models having problems with injectors but can't remember where i read it.
    I have been given a name of a bloke to call and ask his advice so will be doing that to see what he has to say. I have been looking for a few months now but just can't find anything that hasn't had something done to it.
    We did think ute but not now as with family holidaying we need the extra seats.

Thanks
    Ronnie

The 3ltr TD had injector problems along with oil starvation issues which caused them to destroy themselves. In any event the patrol is a very heavy vehicle (2t plus) and the load your putting on a high output 3ltr, 4cyl (more commonly used to power utes and mid sized 4x4) is high. The 3ltr does make reasonable power but is highly strung and "working hard" all the time.
    The 4.2ltr 6cyl TD wont win any land speed records but is barely working to haul the big troll around. It has a well regarded reputation (and rightly deserved) if looked after will give you thousands of km of trouble free motoring and easily will take you anywhere you want to go.
    The 4.5ltr and 4.8ltr petrols are good engines but are thirsty.
    If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular???

look for a good 6 cylinder turbo diesel and you're set for ever, pretty simple really.

Murf on here has about four diesels in his yard last count, might be worth contacting him.

and all his run on used fish and chip shop oil, just toss a couple of chips and scallops in the tank, and off you go.......

Post 10 contains all one needs to know.

However if you find a GU 2.8 or 3.0 with a dead motor I know a man who will drop a nice turboed 4.2 into it and make something to last your lifetime
    The one he is playing with atm is apparently good for about 6000rpm

The 4.2 TD is a very "understressed" power plant. Apparently when you give them a tickle and bolt the right bits on, they are good for nearly 500 horsepower or so I was told. The other issue apart from oiling issues that the 3 litre suffered from was the use of an electronically driven variable vane turbo. So the story goes, the MAF sensor (mass air flow) gets contaminated courtesy of blow by etc and then proceeds to tell the computer the engine is not getting enough air so it ups the boost. This coupled with the possibility of oil starvation due to small oil capillaries getting blocked and the tops of the pistons come off on a couple of cylinders. The old man does a 5000 km oil change and cleans the MAF sensor at every one. The engine has also had a catch can/oil separator fitted in the crankcase breather line and an EGR block. There is also a modification that takes control of the turbo away from the computer but to date he hasn't bothered.

Scottar,

I was talking to a man in the carpark of the local shopping centre yesterday and he told me that he just replaced the head on his 3.0 GU as it cracked at the back end. Picked it up, lucky man, even before it blew the head gasket.

Apparently those MAF sensors are a pierce of work not to mention the blow by.

It sure is a better plan to stick with 4.2 if possible.

Cheers
    Chimo