Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need some advice please

need some advice please

Hi Guys,

So I recently purchased a new boat and when I did, I knew the trailer was dodgy and it would need replacing. All well and good, and I have a new one on order. My problems is between getting the boat to be serviced, and back the front of the trailer (where the winch is) is FUBAR and I am worried that the next time I try and tow it float the boat onto the new trailer, It's going to collapse completely, and I am not sure what would happen in that instance.

Any advice would be great. The boat is a FibreGlass Sea-Ray 180 Sport, so not light.

See the pic and you will see what I mean. Not sure what do to now. The nearest boat ramp is a good 45 mins away.

Thoughts?boat.jpg

Re: need some advice please

This may sound a little odd but I have done it many times.

When you get your new trailer back it up to the old trailer with the boat on it. Front of old trailer is on the ground and new trailer goes over the top of it. Securely chock the old trailer and if necessary put some jack stands under it, leave the new one attached to the tow vehicle. Remove the winch post on the old trailer and attach winch from new trailer to boat .Wet down the rollers and/or skids on both trailers and winch boat from old trailer on to new trailer.
    Slow and steady and job is done.

You could get your self a new winch post: http://www.boattrailerspares.com.au/winch-post/
    Cheaper than picking your boat up off the road.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Looks like the winch mounting plate in that pic not the winch post. remove mounting plate remove winch and get plate welded.
    Looks like boat may have moved forward on the trailer at some time or winch too tight and bent mount.

Quote Originally Posted by stockhorse View Post
    This may sound a little odd but I have done it many times.

When you get your new trailer back it up to the old trailer with the boat on it. Front of old trailer is on the ground and new trailer goes over the top of it. Securely chock the old trailer and if necessary put some jack stands under it, leave the new one attached to the tow vehicle. Remove the winch post on the old trailer and attach winch from new trailer to boat .Wet down the rollers and/or skids on both trailers and winch boat from old trailer on to new trailer.
    Slow and steady and job is done.
    Holy crap!! Talk about not seeing the forrest for the trees! I guess I would have to remove the winch post etc, and obviously be very careful that the boat does not fall sideways as it traverses off the old trailer.

I have a way of securing the old trailer so that it can't move during the transition, so that's all good there.

My only concern is once it clears the wobble rollers at the rear, there is not much that will stop it from falling sideways - although thinking about it, the new trailer wobbles should stop that from happening as I can back the new trailer virtually right up to the nose of the boat.

Thanks man! Great solution!

It's easy and risk free to simply dump the boat onto grass and winch it onto the new trailer.

I don't know if I want to dump my glass boat onto the grass and drag it up onto a new trailer. I am liking the transfer method above I think.

Whatever you feel comfortable with, if you go from trailer to trailer make sure the side support is there as you transfer.
    I could see a time where the side support maybe in no mans land.

Maybe get a few mates on each side just for back up?
    Darren

If you drop the boat onto grass you actually drop it on to tyres along the keel and double or tripple tyres on either side to keep it stable.

When you winch it back onto old or new trailer wet the rollers, lube the centre roller pins and unhitch the trailer so the trailer slides under the boat as you winch.

Slow and steady and no risk or damage to boat or boater

QED

Cheers
    Chimo

PS That bracket just needs to bent and re-welded.
    What could go wrong.......................

nah drop it on the grass, most of us all do that when we repairing/replacing the trailers... no1 that crazy to goto the ramp each time for repair.. it'll get dirty but no dmg will be done.. just remember to tilt the motor up... otherwise afew friends of mine has used wood and tyres to support the ground base

Thanks guys for the input - Much appreciated. I will have a few mates on hand for sure.

Hi Guys,

So we have the new trailer here and this weekend it looks like we will have ago a transferring the boat over to the new trailer.

Question... How do I know where to set the rollers? This is a new trailer, and I am sure the rollers are not going to be in the perfect spot. So... is there a method to follow?

Here's a pic. It has wobbles at the back that pivot etc.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

i followed this worked well and had a few things i wouldn't have thought about without the guide

so links dont work here ill inbox the link

Hi Trev - The link in inbox doesn't work either.