Thread: Pb long nose emperor and more off mackay

Pb long nose emperor and more off mackay

Had a couple of trips out wide off Mackay lately, the fish have been chewing especially the nans, Iv'e found a few spots that have been littered with them and it's been good to be able to leave them biting . First trip started with terrible weather so we stuck to the channel but the fish didn't seem to mind and the weather got better with every hour and the following morning was a glass out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	long nose emperor.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	107932

We had a couple of firsts on this trip, it was Bennys first trip out and the lucky bugger caught his first red from the first drop, later that night he caught his first 80cm Long nose emperor and that's a first on me boat too, this fish fell to a live squid and although a great looking fish we found out later the flesh was extremely tough and if there is a next time a catch n release method will be used.
    On the trip home I come across a show and pulled up for a quick drift, I was letting me dropper rig down with a whole sannit on it when it suddenly ran out quicker like a mackerel smashed but to our surprise a bloody MARLIN jumped out off the water 20 metres from the boat and then I realised I had hooked him. Well to say the next couple of minutes was an adrenalin rush would be an understatement , it was crazy . The leaping out of the water, the head shakes followed by some blistering runs its no wonder people get hooked on catching these awesome beasts. It finally threw the hooks and we spent the next hour trolling around , drifting baits down with no luck but it was a great way to end a trip and am keen to tick one off me list this year.

Name:	long nose nanss.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	107933

Name:	long n red.jpg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	107934

Name:	long fish.jpg 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	107935

Next was a day trip and we were lucky to get out there ( bit of a story in the boating section ) Was taking 4 out but me mate must have had a big night so it ended up being just the 3 of us and we jagged some good weather. Had a few dramas with sharks but at least we still managed to get most of our fish up in 1 piece. We managed a good mixed bag of nans, RTE, some good reds and cracker grassies to 58cm and I ended up catching another snapper, we also got 2 at Christmas time which spun us out a bit cause its a bit hot in Mackay that time of year. All in all was a bloody good day trip, even though we are still doing some miles its good to know you can catch a good feed in a number of hours.

Webster

Name:	long nans.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	107937

Name:	fish day.jpg 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	107936

Re: Pb long nose emperor and more off mackay

Awesome fish there mate.

Absolutely killing it. Great catches. Ben

Thats a cracking report boys!!

Totally envious

Tony

Blog Entries

As the spli enz song goes
    i see red
    i see red
    i see red

so much red!!!!
    Great catch

Great report guys

Awesome catch

Well done

thanks for sharing!
    Cheers

Trev

Cleaned up... Awesome catch fellas and good read.