Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Tinny Needing A Engine

Old Tinny Needing A Engine

hey guys just picked up an old tinny but it doesnt have a builders plate, anyone know what size engine it would need? its 3.4m or 11 foot Sea Hunter looks to be built around the 1970's-1980's

Re: Old Tinny Needing A Engine

My experience is with a very similar sized tinny with an 8hp on it. Scoots along well with one person in it (20 - 25 km/hr), but slows down quickly with 2 or 3 people in it. I would say 8hp is minimum, probably be nice with 15hp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    My experience is with a very similar sized tinny with an 8hp on it. Scoots along well with one person in it (20 - 25 km/hr), but slows down quickly with 2 or 3 people in it. I would say 8hp is minimum, probably be nice with 15hp on it.
    yeah i was thinking around 8-10hp but thought i would get other peoples advice before i go buy a engine

It would have had a 10hp maximum new and it will scoot along one up with an 8 or 10.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

put a 15 and be happy

I have a 3.4 Savage V nosed punt and run a Mercury 15 Super (Tohatsu). One up the thing is a bit of a rocket but with me and a mate and all the usual gear it certainly wouldn't want any less. Admittedly neither of us fall into the slightly built category. I ended up fitting a foil to give her a hand to get her bum up onto the plane.

A 30hp with 9.9 stickers and a pvc pipe tiller extension
    Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

was looking at new engines

the mercury looks good

mercury 9.9hp 262cc

yamaha 9.9hp 245cc

tohatsu 9.8hp 169cc

parsun 9.8hp 169cc

the mercury looks to be the best bang for buck but is something like 10kg heavier than the tohatsu and parsun and comes with a 24 litre tank where as the last two models have 12 litre tanks

12 litre fuel tank will allow a bait tank to be installed

do u think the small 169cc engine will plane with 3x 80-90kg guys on board?

be pushing it for any of those engines to plane (though not impossible) with 3 90KG people and some gear, not to mention how "cosy" it would be with 3 big guys in a 3.4M boat.....

OH, and ditch the Parsun from the line up (in my opinion)

get a 15hp, some of the 9.9's are de-rated 15's, so will weigh the same anyway!

Had a 15 hp 2 stroke Yammmy many years ago on light weight 3.4 and could not go flat out as was too fast and nose started to bury itself.
    Personally would go the 15 and 10 at a pinch.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    be pushing it for any of those engines to plane (though not impossible) with 3 90KG people and some gear, not to mention how "cosy" it would be with 3 big guys in a 3.4M boat.....

I agree. Also be aware that with 3 people in a boat that size, there will be little freeboard, so watch out for waves and boat wakes. I once had to quickly start my motor and outrun a huge wake in mine (lucky I was drifting, so no anchor to worry about).

15hp engines are getting up there in price around $2000-$2200 i cant imagine anyone paying $2500 for the boat once im finished

altho the 9.9-9.8hp engines are only $1500-$1600

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    15hp engines are getting up there in price around $2000-$2200 i cant imagine anyone paying $2500 for the boat once im finished

altho the 9.9-9.8hp engines are only $1500-$1600

I wonder what the secondhand market is like?