Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Tinny Needing A Engine

Re: Old Tinny Needing A Engine

Try Southside Marine Components/Yatala outboard wreckers and I think there is another mob down the Gold Coast as well

QLD Outboards have a 6 or 8hp in there shop ring them 55937668
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

thanks Garry, buying seperate parts will probably cost a fair amount so far ive priced a carby with air filter and CDI those two were i think $290

i think the only cost effective option is as someone mentioned to buy a blown engine and make one from the two

im thinking the 8hp yamaha running is worth $600? what do u guys think?

also does anyone know the average speed for a 8hp 3.4m tinny?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    ?

also does anyone know the average speed for a 8hp 3.4m tinny?
    I have that same Yamaha motor and on the same size tinny. I get over 20 km/hr on my own (and I am heavy). About 15 with 2 people, and maybe down to 10km/hr with 3, depending on current and wind

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    QLD Outboards have a 6 or 8hp in there shop ring them 55937668
    just gave them a call, waiting for a call back

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    I have that same Yamaha motor and on the same size tinny. I get over 20 km/hr on my own (and I am heavy). About 15 with 2 people, and maybe down to 10km/hr with 3, depending on current and wind
    sounds good if i can get on the plane with 2 onboard that should work well, even if u use a hydrofoil

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    yeah i seen that one but its a 2005-2006 i think my model only goes to 2004 than changes?

sounds good if i can get on the plane with 2 onboard that should work well, even if u use a hydrofoil
    I have a foil on mine yes. Previous owner fitted it. He told me it needed it with 2 on board. I have had days with strong wind (bimini up) and a few waves when it will struggle. otoh, on a river in the calm, have cruised along nicely at 15km/hr.

just pulled the exhaust and thermostat covers off to check for corrosion, found none at all just a whole bunch of salt built up

did however snap two exhaust plate bolts and one rusty coil bolt there about $88 a bolt to be drilled out at the shop so i may just invest in a cheap ebay oxy and remove them my self

pistons look ok thru the exhaust port with plenty of oil so i dont think this enigne has been sitting long

back2boats could u possibly have the 6hp engine? the 6-8hp are the same engine but i dont know whats different maybe the carby like on the bigger yamaha models?

back2boats could u possibly have the 6hp engine? the 6-8hp are the same engine but i dont know whats different maybe the carby like on the bigger yamaha models?
    No, defintiely 8HP.

the guy who sold me the engine had two yamaha 8hp engines and he pulled a swifty on me he had one old and one newer engine he sold me the old engine with the newer engines cowling

i contacted yamaha last night and this is the reply

Hi Gary,

Thank you for contacting us at Yamaha Motor Australia with your question.
    We are able to confirm that our records show your Yamaha outboard motor
    is a 1989 model.

Hope this helps.

by all luck i checked gumtree this morning and found the same engine for sale i went and had a look at it, has compression, isnt seized, has a good gearbox, engine is complete, cheering

i should be able to make 1 running engine from the two

yesterday i was looking at the johnson/evinrude 9.9-15hp but thought they'd be a little heavier than the little yamaha and might make my small tinny ass heavy

well done.

i just picked it up old mate said theres something wrong with the engine and i can see he attempted to remove the exhaust plate

i will run the serial # by yamaha to see what year model the engine is

lucky i had a old style multicombo landyard keys and one fit, i gave her some fuel and gave her around 5 pulls and it fired up and idled great

i think there maybe internal corrosion so ill have to wait to tub test the engine

hows the plywood build going ?

you sure do like punishing yourself with messed up engines

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    hows the plywood build going ?

you sure do like punishing yourself with messed up engines
    its coming along mate i havent been able to do any more glassing because of the summer heat just waiting for cooler weather and ill get stuck in again