Thread: Offshore in 2.7m kayak?

Offshore in 2.7m kayak?

I will be using a 2.7m kayak. Is it reasonable to think I can paddle to a reef about 2.5km from the shore in central queensland (small swell) assuming the wind is down?

Thanks

Re: Offshore in 2.7m kayak?

i would be more woried about the 3.6m tiger shark thats patroling the waters between launch point and destination lol. as long as you have a backup plan incase something goe's wrong you shoud be fine
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Thanks. What is a normal back-up plan? I would have no radio. Would be wearing a life-jacket though. I figure there is enough boat traffic in the area to call for help.

PS location is Bargara to Two Mile.

Yeh the thought of sharks isn't too nice. More worried about them stealing fish though.

maybe take your mobile in a waterproof bag in your top button up pocket as you should still have range there at least you could contact someone
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Symetre View Post
    Thanks. What is a normal back-up plan? I would have no radio. Would be wearing a life-jacket though.

I figure there is enough boat traffic in the area to call for help.

PS location is Bargara to Two Mile.

Yeh the thought of sharks isn't too nice. More worried about them stealing fish though.
    Don't rely on others for your well being.

Honestly mate I would not go offshore in any kayak that is less than 4 meters. Maybe a Hobie outback at 12 foot but it is high sided.

Sorry but but that is just me. You would be just a floating live bait in something that small.
    Cheers

Steven

Bottom line is its the wrong boat for the job. However if you are a fair way under the weight limit and are a strong paddler who can keep it going somewhat straight there's no reason to think you are going to die. You will however be working harder than a one armed painter with crabs compared to an offshore kayak paddler. Short boats close to or over their weight limits generally lose their primary stability once the Chines go under, and there isn't generally any secondary stability to speak of. Also bear in mind the safety regs in the waters you are heading to.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

That kayak is way too small, fine for around a marina, or mangroves etc - not off shore.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Blog Entries

+1 on its too short. Are you paddling with others or by yourself? If you are in a group then maybe but personally I wouldnt. 2.5klms is a long way to swim if you tip out and lose contact with your yak.

I have a similar sized yak that I use for bass fishing or in sheltered waters near land. Once the wind gets up I simply cant keep momentum and will push to land, get out and drag my sorry arse home..... you wont have that luxury out there.

I am well under the weight limit, a strong paddler and a strong swimmer but giving it some more thought and listening to the helpful suggestions here I agree it isn't a great idea.

Even if everything goes well and there is no wind the current along will make it hard to stay on the mark.

Might stick to the creeks.

Thanks

i have to agreed to live bait on a float... i've done afew kayak on the lakes and u smell kind nice with all the dead fish... however like i was saying on another post and some1 mention.. u might wanna bring a shark repellent for the wrost

Quote Originally Posted by mitc69 View Post
    i have to agreed to live bait on a float... i've done afew kayak on the lakes and u smell kind nice with all the dead fish... however like i was saying on another post and some1 mention.. u might wanna bring a shark repellent for the wrost
    This sort of stuff is so far off the mark it's not even funny anymore.

My standard response nowadays when somebody asks me if I'm worried about sharks when I'm fishing offshore on my kayak is "I'm more worried about the dickheads driving the cars beside me on my way to go fishing", they are much more likely to cause me a problem, including a horrifying death. They soon stop talking about sharks.

For the record I only fish open water now chasing reefies & pelagics such as mackerel, tuna cobia etc. Sharks are there, always there, simple fact, but I have never been threatened by one, nor has anybody I fish with and we have all had encounters with them at some point. It can be unnerving, but it's not something I worry about.

https://www.bitre.gov.au/publication...bulletins.aspx

http://www.australiangeographic.com....ia-a-timeline/

Please note, that not one of the shark deaths recorded in Australian history is that of a kayaker.

Seriously, these insecurities about sharks & kayaks are pathetic. It really isn't a reason for this particular kayak to not travel offshore. The real reason as noted above previously is that this kayak is not suited to this application and it would be a poor decision o make this trek.

There are much better yaks for this type of thing if you want to go that way. Lots of second hand choices on the market in both plastic and fibreglass that paddle better, handle open water conditions better, provide storage for gear, fish and water better and are just, well.....better. You don't need to spend a bomb and buy the latest and greatest, but a 2.7m yak just doesn't cut the mustard and you will simply just put yourself in danger.

I would strongly encourage you to follow this path and get into the offshore stuff. It's a heap of fun and well worth the effort, but just try and do it right, starting with a suitable yak, and safety gear.

Kev

i dont mean to offend any1 if i have, in the end it still upto you... to do it or not... anything that is risky... i like to risk manage first, before considering... likewise the morons that drive like that.. you can always reduce the risk.. by slowing down and let them go by, drive a bigger car.. various this you can do to reduce the risk.. has i see it in the water... the risk avoid is limited... likewise if and when i ever decide to hit the bay and leave the lakes i guess.. my biggest problem would be... what happen if u caught a shark that bigger then your own ride? knowing the possible is... but i guess sometime it better to drive head first and not think about it

Didn't mean to single you out mitc69. Just used your post as an example. Caught me at the wrong time I suppose as I'm just a bit over the whole shark thing cause they really aren't an issue worth devoting too much time towards.

As for catching a shark that is bigger than the yak, well let's just cross that bridge if / when we get to it, because my kayak is 4.95m long.

Kev

I have a 2.8 Dragon sit on. Brilliant stable little yak for bassing rivers etc. I would be happy to use it in Raby Bay canals. However a sea kayak she is not. Vic point with my 100kg plus frame saw her flounder with little baby whitecaps. It just fills with water basicslly. They sell a 4m Sea Hunter which looks nice and of course there are a truck load of other and more expensive brands...i had a mate at Rosco and he did a lot of offshore yaking taking tour groups. He wouldnt take them until they could demonstrate proficient rolling etc and these were purpose built ocean yaks around 5m.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing