Thread: Overnighter at Shallow Tempest 7th/8th March

Overnighter at Shallow Tempest 7th/8th March

So the forecast wasn't great, but it wasn't too bad either, so I waited for my mate to finish work and headed offshore around 2pm from Scarborough.
    I expected it to be much crappier and we actually had a good run out. We jigged up some livies to float down for those big silver jewies then anchored on the spot.
    Pretty slim pickings though. A few undersized snapper on dusk then.....not much. Hooked up a decent snapper though the night and a pretty bloody big Moses Perch. A couple of bust offs, and that's about it. No current AT ALL. We were floating baits down with no lead.
    Before dawn we pulled the pick and trolled some Halcos for Spanish macks and after five minutes, bang! double hookup. Lost them both right on the surface Always the bloody way. They shut down after that and we couldn't get them on the chew again. Picked up a nice 65cm or so Amberjack (I LOVE those sashimi!) so that was a result at least.
    To sum up, we struggled to get good fish, but it was still better than TV, and a I did get a good feed in the end. AND I got to see how my boat handled some pretty sloppy conditions (first time I've taken her out overnight offshore). Awesome by the way, she handled it awesome. She's a 17ft cuddy cab ally plate JBS with a 100hp yammy fourstroke with about 1500 hours, and she eats that heavy offshore weather up! It was supposed to peak at 15knots but it was twenty plus for a good portion of the night, and we both STILL slept like babies. Babies that snore like un-muffled tractors, but babies Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0764.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	107891

Re: Overnighter at Shallow Tempest 7th/8th March

Wow that moses makes the AJ look like a bait fish.

Re: Overnighter at Shallow Tempest 7th/8th March

I know! I've heard they can grow big and I've caught a million small ones but I've never seen one THAT size before.