Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ft...le_butane.page

Had this link emailed to me from a mate. Very concerning given I use one of these type burners all the time...in hindsight $15-30 should have sent alarm bells ringing a long time ago!

I wonder if QLD will follow suit?
    "Pimp A Shrimp" 7.0m Offshore Marine Master Jaycat. 2 x 175 Zuks

Re: Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

Crap I had better get out and buy a couple of spares just in case!

I hope they don't. It's one of the best forms of cooking used on a boat. That's if they don't slide off the esky.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

What a load of crap. These burners have been around for years, I have been using them for well over 12 or 13 years and still have my original 'bell' brand bought from crazy Clarks before they became the rage in camping stores. I quote the article, the cases of explosions were linked to 'misuse'....another fine example of nanny state tactics intervening due to lowest-common-denominator idiots.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

$12 from Kmart, on the we cooked up rice, lamb chops, veg , in the am coffee,
    bacon & eggs, brilliant.

"Double post"
    Last edited by Crunchy; 07-03-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: double post

They must be real concerned if double canister ones are still on sale.

I'm with you Feral, get a couple of spares and also butane cartridges.

Have been using them since they came out without any problems.

I know of one double canister ones going. Luckily it was tipped in the drink before burning the boat
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I was in a local K Mart at 3.30 today and they had been taken off the shelves.

I hope they fix the problem they are to handy not to have. I guess at the end of the day there will always be risks when you mix gas and fire.

so the ones with lots of money say chuck away.if they don't comply why aren't the importers off to jail or are they immune. also a return off all moneys to owners who take in.because if they stop importing them will mean no more gas canisters so makes them useless.

You will still be able to get gas canisters as they are used for lights,water heaters and other sorts of stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmcjim View Post
    so the ones with lots of money say chuck away.
    You are drawing a long bow with that assumption. They have a proven fault in the gas mechanism as well as being dangerous if used under a large pot or frying pan. Its up to each individual to determine the risk they want to be exposed to. I haven't thrown mine out and may continue to use them but I certainly won' be letting my kids or wife near one
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

They were banned in our house for a few years after one blew up on my Mrs. She was lucky the can blew out the back end away from her, blowing the carry case, used as a wind break, into tiny pieces and knocking her on her arse. A trip to hospital followed.
    After a few years the lure of their handiness was too strong and we got another. But are still very cautious with them. Any sign of corrosion and they are turfed.