Thread: Outer Rock, The wrecks, Lamont and Fitzroy.

Outer Rock, The wrecks, Lamont and Fitzroy.

Wanted to catch up with Jsmfun las weekend, but had to work Saturday morning and headed up to 1770 mid morning. Arrived in town about 5 and made the decision to stay at the Captain Cook Park for a dawn departure.
    Sunday morning we (Shark Poker was able deckie) shot straight up to Outer Rock, hoping for a GT, but no luck. We set some hard bodies and trolled up a school sized Spanish and his baby brother.
    Next stop was the Barcoola an we got a couple of Bludger Tree ally and rat Kings on the jigs. It wasn't going off, so I headed to Lamont.
    I hadn't been there before and found it a beautiful complex with some fishy ground. We trolled popped and bottom bashed, but only had a few successes. It is mid arvo by now and I wanted to create a track on my new gps into Fitzroy before it got too dark.
    We played around in th lagoon and found a big school of long Tom, queenies and misc, but they wouldn't chew. Before settling down in the lagoon for the night, we headed back out and trolled for a while and bottom bashed, but did no good.
    Right on Sunset in the lagoon, the first Spangled Emp found the bait and it was a slow but steady stream of them and mowong till about 9 ish.
    It was a pleasant night in the lagoon!
    Next morning consisted of more trolling for a few Tuna and we also got a nice Trout on a X rap in 15 m of water.
    We hit the Shannon wreck on the way back and scored quite a few sportfish here, but when we rocked up to the Barcoola, we found a solid bite going on, with 1-2 fish every drift. Nothing over 5 kg mind you, but fantastic fun on light jigging gear.
    We got a bouncy trip home with a freshening SE breeze, but not too bad.
    Not the best ever trip to 1770 but still another dose of paradise. Can't wait to get back to Lamont with some good tides and chase more GTs.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031(1).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	107820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001(1)(1).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	107821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007(1)_edit.jpg 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	107822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010(1)(1).jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	107823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021(1).jpg 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	107824  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	029(1)_edit.jpg 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	107825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	036(1).jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	107826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	041(1)(1).jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	107827  
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: Outer Rock, The wrecks, Lamont and Fitzroy.

nice report mate thats a nice trout trolled up and a good feed of spannish to boot.
    I like the bommi in the background of the spannish photo is that near lamont?
    happy days ahead summer is coming

No bud, that's outer rock, couple of ks off Bustard Head. Very fishy ground too!

How hard was it to get into the lagoon? And how deep once in it?

It's not difficult, there are beacons marking the entrance. Not a lot of room for error though. The lagoon itself varies up to 13+ m but there are scattered bombies and reef sections to avoid. Fantastic anchorage.

Nice pics mate! Wish I headed out.

Great report. I remember my first trip up there years ago with similar results. Great part of the world and very addictive. Totally enjoyed the post. I'm heading up at Easter with my boat for the first time in almost year.. Lamond here I come!!

Good to see your spelling skills have not improved bannana!! LOL

Great report & pics guys. Are there anchor points in the lagoon, or do you just drop anchor??

Tony

I think there are moorings, but it's good sandy bottom, so I have always just found a spot in 6-7m and anchored. I use a decent Plough, and run the chain of the head of the anchor, cable tieing the chain to the usual pulling point. Don't want to lose the anchor if it finds a bombie. I'd be happy to spend a day just in the lagoon chucking lures and exploring the territory.

Thanks for the report and good to see ya deckie paying his way with that nice trout.

If you're after more areas to play, send me a PM.

The lagoon is a great place for a snooze with a good sandy bottom for anchorage in all weather. The Buoys there are National Parks markers and I have seen folks anchor to them, but no need. I like to anchor near a bombie.... for obvious reasons.

The sunset bite around there can be good and I don't usually head into the lagoon until about 8 - 9pm, but if the weather and forecast is less than 10knots, I anchor outside on the spot I want to fish in the morning and start dropping baits about an hour before sunup.... bazinger

I also find for an over-nighter, it pays to pull into the lagoon and have a mid-day snooze as the fish there usually shut down over the middle of the day, but... if you haven't got a bait in the water, you can't catch fish

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thanks Phill. I will hit you up for more marks next time. Looking at the weekend of May 16 for some good tides. If it comes through, I will put up a post in the M and G section if anyone else wants to tag along.