Thread: Pajero new build

Pajero new build

I am buying a new Pajero later in the year. Not sure if it is a male thing but even though a have a few months to go before ordering I spend far too much time looking at options and checking out every Pajero I see. Our primary use for the Pajero will be Moreton Island, Teewah and Fraser with a a trip to Cape York at some time. So beach work mostly which is what we do with our current 4WD. I want to kit it out from day one with all the bits. Anyone have one and what should I include and what brands of gear? It will be a GLS and we tow a boat locally. We have a Chescold dometic fridge as we tend to base camp rather than tour. Tenting only.

Re: Pajero new build

Have one. 2010 model. Took it to cape this year. Quite capable and underrated. I drive cruisers and patrols for work and they get used to there capabilities and pajero compares favourably although doesn't cop the treatment the work vehicles do. Definitely need a lift and suspension upgrade. Ideally 3". I think a winch bar is nearly a necessity up the cape if doing the tracks. An EGR(?) blocker would be good to. I think mine is gradually starting to lag slightly under load and use a bit more fuel as it gets a bit older. There is a pajero forum to look through too

Are you planning the cape solo or with company?

Gday Mate,
    I own a 2009 NT turbo diesel (ex police, smartbar, rear diff locks), i live in Kununurra so do a bit of 4wd, bought this in 2013. These are pretty capable 4wd but definitely need to upgrade suspension and fit biggest tires you can i have 265/65/17 BFG but i think you can go 1 size up which i will definitely be doing when the time comes. If you want a second spare you can use a normal sunrayser (saves having to buy another alloy) but you can only use it on the back wheels not the front, I cant remember the reason but my local tyre bloke knew all about it. I put after market bash plates on from Bushskins and side steps from same place can highly recommend them i took a big hit on the front plate on weekend bent it right back but hate to think what would have got damaged if i had the factory one on. I also got into a bit of a situation where i had to go way to hard or get stuck for a long time, this incident caused the gearbox to flex on its rubber mountings a bit which caused a couple of wires to be pulled out of harness that runs along top of gearbox resulting in me being stuck in low 4 with my diff locks on (slow drive home), have to drop the box to access the harness (thats what the mechanic told me anyway). I have a smart bar on mine which i think is good for these cars due to being a bit lighter than steel or alloy, i dont have a winch fitted just use a hand winch but would definitely fit one if i had the spare coin.
    I have removed the back seats that fold into the floor at the back and use this as a tool box, have also removed the back seats for more storage room.
    My biggest complaints;
    1 - Fuel tank to small, you can fit long range tank under the back but i think this hangs down to low for where i go
    2 - The spare wheel setup
    3 - As in all newer cars, plastic fantastic and electrics
    What i like;
    The engine goes hard and is reliable from what i have heard
    Comfortable and economic, mine is starting to lag a bit and think i might upgrade exhaust and chip it in future
    From the 4wding i have done seems to definitely hold its own, i think diff locks are a big plus