Thread: Anyone using fans under boat storage cover?

Anyone using fans under boat storage cover?

I store the boat in the driveway in full sun under a storage cover that has a small opening at the bow and a larger one at the stern, and I may add some vents higher up but don't really want to add any more possible water ingress points.

Anytime I have to get in it during the day it is extremely hot and if it's not completely dry before the cover goes on I'm sure the humidity/moisture will start the mildew process eventually..

Anyone using solar powered fans for airflow under their covers like this? - http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...station.html#b

Did it help with heat and moisture?

Any setups available ready to go? All the ebay solar powered fans ready to go I've seen are tiny and would have very low cfm.

Any other ideas?

Cheers.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: Anyone using fans under boat storage cover?

Hi Triple

Been using fans on a number of boats for years with great results.

No more mildew or mould and they also cut down on moisture levels too.

A mate had a solar fan and it was just OK in that it only moved a little air compared to the ones I've used for years.

If you in your driveway why not go the 240V route and be done with it? My 20 odd year old fans are 240 V units that started life as computer cooling units. They are simply mounted in old ice cream tubs with a hole cut for the fan and a hunk of wire suspends them so they blow where required ie one forward into the cabin and one facing rearward to cover the area under the stern seats and batteries. They run 24 7 and have done for many years except when the boat leaves the 240 v power.

Go for it; it works well.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

i used to do that... just un-rig, wet the floor and just drove away then park in the font... use to have that damp smell on the carpets.. however when i stated to angle the boat on drive way ( my drive way go up on hill) it should be fine... well for me anyway... but since i got plastic boat now, with no carpets it dosent matter i just get thoses yellow stains lol now and then that u can wash off.. otherwise just leave it to burn for 1 day then cover it; no point in wasting extra $$$

Hi guys.
    I have my boat covered with a heavy tarp also,i just use a couple of Damp Rid Containers, one on the deck and one in the cabin,

I've had no problems with mildew or mould, its suprising how much moisture is trapped in those things.

col

what are you covering it with? A thick waterproof poly tarp that does not breathe? Thats why proper boat covers are made of breathable water resistent canvas type material so even when i cover wet its dry by next day with no moist air
    has to rain ALOT before any water penetrates it slowly

G'day

On the larger moored boats its common to see dehumidifiers running in the cabin. They just drain down one of the sinks as moisture is taken out of the air.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au