Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labor talking about banning het fishing in Moreton bay

Labor talking about banning net fishing in Moreton bay

The Queensland government's plan to ban net fishing in three areas could put the local seafood industry at risk, commercial fishers say.
    Labor has promised net-free fishing areas in Trinity Inlet near Cairns, St Helens Beach near Mackay, and parts of the Capricorn Coast.
    The government has proposed talking to commercial and recreational fishers about banning net fishing in Moreton Bay.
    A spokesman for Fisheries Minister Bill Byrne says the policy will encourage recreational fishing and have have trickle-down benefits the tourism sector.
    He says only small areas are being considered for bans and compensation packages will be offered to fishers.
    But the Queensland Seafood Industry Association (QSIA) says net bans will hit the local fishing sector.
    "We already import 70 per cent of our seafood and by closing these vast areas of ocean to net fishing we will greatly reduce the availability of local catch," QSIA president Karen Collard told AAP.
    Ms Collard said as commercial fishers were the only group licensed to sell seafood caught in Australia waters, the bans could deprive some people of seafood.
    "We provide a community service for people who can't catch seafood by themselves but still have the right to eat it," she said.
    Ms Collard said the new Labor government was also hiding an independent review of the seafood industry commissioned by the former Liberal National Party government.
    "Taxpayers have paid for it, so I can't see why the government doesn't want to use it," Ms Collard said.
    Opposition fisheries spokeswoman Deb Frecklington said Labor's policy was clearly "made on fly" and pitted commercial and recreational fishers against each other.
    "It's quite distressing and shows Labor's negative attitude toward primary producers," she told AAP.
    "Let's listen to the industry first, we need a more wholistic approach."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/2643...-net-ban-plan/
    Last edited by Bobpen; 26-02-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: Labor talking about banning het fishing in Moreton bay

Ms Frecklington would be well placed to look at the economy/society wide implications of such an approach. I wonder how much money the commercial fishing sector donated to the LNP. If it was like other primary industries it would have been a fortune. It is well documented that recreational fishing is a far larger industry than commercial fishing and it's about time that we saw a government that is more interested in the greater good rather than protecting another unsustainable industry.

Lets see some investment in seafood farming for those who can't/don't want to catch it and have a buy back of commercial licences in appropriate areas.

They took that policy into the election.

Would much rather see the areas that are already subject to national park status or recreational area use be designated as net free zones first as these areas are already used for tourism purposes, getting rid of the nets will only just bolster their appeal and increase the tourism potential for these areas. The spots that I'm thinking of particularly are those that I can relate to or have visited myself such as Noosa Northshore / Cooloola / Double Island Point, Inskip Point, Moreton Island etc. I think the fishing tourism of these places suffer somewhat because of the pressure of both rec and commercial fishing activities.

If the rec fishers know that they have an area within reach that is designated as rec fishing only then there is a greater chance of accepting commercial operations in other areas and seeing both sectors a little closer to being happy. Although I think there will always be a massive divide between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    Would much rather see the areas that are already subject to national park status or recreational area use be designated as net free zones first as these areas are already used for tourism purposes, getting rid of the nets will only just bolster their appeal and increase the tourism potential for these areas. The spots that I'm thinking of particularly are those that I can relate to or have visited myself such as Noosa Northshore / Cooloola / Double Island Point, Inskip Point, Moreton Island etc. I think the fishing tourism of these places suffer somewhat because of the pressure of both rec and commercial fishing activities.

If the rec fishers know that they have an area within reach that is designated as rec fishing only then there is a greater chance of accepting commercial operations in other areas and seeing both sectors a little closer to being happy. Although I think there will always be a massive divide between the two.
    accidental dislike, I agree whole-heartily.

A brave government would close both Moreton and Hervey Bays to commercial net fishing. The economy would gain greater rewards from recreational usage than it does from the commercial of the resource
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

well said horse

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    A brave government would close both Moreton and Hervey Bays to commercial net fishing. The economy would gain greater rewards from recreational usage than it does from the commercial of the resource
    Could you please expand on the last sentence with some figures created by recreational fishing as opposed to commercial?
    I don't have any ideas about which is better for the economy but would like to gain some understanding of it. Thanks

economy would benifit form sustainable tourism from rec fishing over commercial any day

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    economy would benifit form sustainable tourism from rec fishing over commercial any day
    sorry but with no explanation or supporting figures that statement carries no weight.

Quote Originally Posted by stockhorse View Post
    Could you please expand on the last sentence with some figures created by recreational fishing as opposed to commercial?
    I don't have any ideas about which is better for the economy but would like to gain some understanding of it. Thanks
    Good point Stockholders. Statistics statistics and pure lies. You can make numbers support your point of view if you work them enough. Back around 2000 I was active in fishing politics on the peninsula. Doing surveys for government departments etc. At that time I saw a statement from Sunfish ( at least i think it was them) that for each commercial dollar spent on the peninsula recreational spent 3. This was an all comer survey ( % rego car, boat rego, insurance bait fuel equipment) I have often wished I had kept the report as I haven't been able to find it since ( insert conspiracy theory). The short story is the info exists, I have held/read it, but can't show it to you.

sorry but with no explanation or supporting figures that statement carries no weight.
    Over a 12 mth period, the Government will pocket approx $1.2 ml from commercial fishers via GST fuel taxes etc. In the same period they would pocket approx $5.6 from rec fishers boat rego, trailer rego, shop bought tackle , bait etc etc etc. Whilst no $ go back to the commercial guys, $ do go into boat ramps etc, but only a minimal amount.

I'm not exactly sure of the figures but I read (about 10 yrs ago) the recreational fishers invest about 100x more dollars per kg of fish they remove from the system than commercial fisherman. That's probably an important consideration because it's not only pure investment that needs to be considered but investment vs impact. Think about how much we've all got tied up in boats alone.

Gon Fishun thanks for the figures. Since Bowen area alone has a turnover of 28.8 million per year for commercial fishing the figure of 1.2 for the whole state going to revenue does seem very low though.

Do you know if the figures include wholesale and retail fresh seafood outlets or is that just directly from fisherman?

Current figures are not available, but will be soon.

The " attributal expenditure " by recreational anglers in Queensland was just over $1bill a couple of years ago. That is.... we put that amount of $;s into our States economy.

How is this done ?

Obviously there are things like regos, boat purchases, Trailers,, repairs to all of those, fuel, accomodation, food, bait, tackle , competitions, accessory expenditures, and of course the numbers of people employed in the associated industries, charters, magazines, DVD's, club costs, and so much more.....

From memory it sits 3rd on the list with Mining being number 1 and tourism Number 2 . ( although the tourism numbers aren't quantifiable at the moment ).

This BS of the QSIA shits me.... they dribble on about them being the supplier to our state for those that can't fish, yet gushingly send their best catch overseas for a grab at the mighty dollar. Australia IMPORTS about 70% of it's retail seafood products.... why ? because the QSIA members send OUR fish OS.

Commercial and recreational fishing can work side by side with best practice on both sides.

What is contencious is trawlling and specifically non-selective netting. Creek, river and estuary netting is another area that needs looking into. NSW have been onto this for a while with good results for rec anglers and fishing havens.

More on this later..................

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here