Thread: Snapper lead size

Snapper lead size

I need to get a mould for a bigger sized snapper lead for fishing 150-200 meters. Does anyone know what's the most common weight used in that depths?

Re: Snapper lead size

If I go out to the shelf I generally use some of my 2 1/4lbs that I have that have a hole drilled in the bottom of them cable tied together.

I made mine from axle stubs. And welded a washers to them. These are 1.5kg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will check with my uncle I think he might have some larger moulds.

It all depends on the current and wind 16oz will do if its calm up to 32 if your drifting quick.

Ive got a 16oz mould so make heaps of those up and duct tape them together if I need more wieght.

Work on average 1kg per 100 meters of water.
    Eg: 2kg - 200meters, 6kg - 600meters.
    Obviously current has an underlying factor but the above seems to work fine for me.

Thanks guys. Might get a 16 and a 32oz mould.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

I have all size droppers up to 32oz. 16oz is $2.50 each and 32oz is $5.00 each.

Cheers
    Barry

Also depends what you are fishing for. I regularly fish 140m with a 10 ball for snapper and pearlies. If bottom bashing the same ground we can get away with 8-12oz snapper leads. This all depends on wind and current, but I don't normally venture out there unless I know conditions will be favourable.

We used to use 4oz snapper bombs fishing off the rocks.
    When we became boaties we found that they lifted off the bottom at very low drift speeds. (usually we are after flathead.)
    Swapped to 8 oz, which seem to hold the bottom for a wide range of wind speeds.
    Chuck out an Alby McCracken parachute anchor when the wind gets up a bit, which extends the time they stay on the bottom and still get bites.
    The parachute anchor quite often means we keep fishing when every one else buzzes off back to the ramp.

I couldn't even hold bottom with a 32ounce snapper sinker in 50 meters of water last time I fished Fraser.
    Even still struggled when reversing up against the current.
    Seemed to be running at 20knots that day

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    I couldn't even hold bottom with a 32ounce snapper sinker in 50 meters of water last time I fished Fraser.
    Even still struggled when reversing up against the current.
    Seemed to be running at 20knots that day
    I had a day like that. Dropped the 1.5kg down in 60m out off DI. Couldnt hold at all haha. Lucky I was usin the electric to wind the bastard back up

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Work on average 1kg per 100 meters of water.
    Eg: 2kg - 200meters, 6kg - 600meters.
    Obviously current has an underlying factor but the above seems to work fine for me.
    1kg of weight in 100m, u must have serious current isues where u fish.