Thread: Would you leave your boat while camping on Moreton Island?

Would you leave your boat while camping on Moreton Island?

Weather permitting I am going camping over Moreton (western calm side) in the coming weeks just for a night or two to chase pelagics.

I have a 4.5 metre (14.5’) tiller steer open tinnie with a 40hp Yamaha and will put in from Wellington Point.

I have taken it to Moreton a number of times although I am very risk averse and pick my days/conditions.

My question is, I am camping on the calm side and wonder if my boat is safe to leave anchored overnight?

I understand the westerlies can play havoc if they blow. But what about people pinching stuff from the boat?

Would you leave your boat unattended at night over there?

Also, what’s the best tent camping spot to stay at for boaties? As in close to the water and possibly keep your eye on the boat from time to time?

Thanks heaps

Danny

Re: Would you leave your boat while camping on Moreton Island?

Hey Danny

I've left my boat unattended quite a few times while camping on Moreton without any issues but I must say its always a relief to find it there in the morning. There are three issues to contend with, the current, the weather and the dickheads.

Current - I use a way big sand anchor and with a very long & heavy chain, the boat is going nowhere with that setup - I also protect the rope from the bowsprit to ensure it doesn't wear through if it got rough. Some guys double-anchor front and back but I prefer to have the boat spin around the bow into the current rather than have the current drag side onto the boat but don't anchor next to someone who is double-anchored! Another tip would be to anchor deep as I have come out at dead low to find only a few inches of water under the boat and in the chop bouncing on the sand.

Weather - you are looking for south easterly or very little wind, avoid anything westerly as even light westerly's chop it up badly.

Dickheads - just have to take your chances I guess, I don't leave anything of value in the boat and leave the anchor light on and a sleeping bag in the boat so it looks like someone is in there. Safest place is the wrecks and site 1 has the best view of the water, the downside is no camp fires are allowed so I prefer further up the island. Most boaties overnighting at the wrecks are good blokes who are unlikely to knock off anything but a few tenders have gone missing from the back of boats - stolen or come lose hard to say.

At the end of the day I do it because its a great place to go and overnighting extends your fishing time greatly so if something does happen just have to deal with it. Same goes for the car and trailer back at the ramp!

Cheers
    Crunchy

I have anchored my NC2300 there overnight with a decent single sand anchor quite frequently, let out sufficient rope and you should be fine. As for DH, motion sensor 12V lights is your best friend set it up so it only get the floor of your boat. when the light comes on, you be surprise as to how many set of eyes will be trained to it.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Thanks very much Crunchy.

Plenty of great advice and information.

For the record, also well written.

Are you in corporate communications or journalism?

Danny

Good advice from Crunchy about the double anchor. A mates boat was swamped there one night when the wind changed and the chop got up. The front anchor pulled and his boat spun around and took waves over the transom and sank. He had to catch the barge back to Bris and return with his car and trailer to bring his boat home.