Thread: Daiwa Capricorn 100H repairs

Daiwa Capricorn 100H repairs

G'Day Folks,

This low profile baitcaster has given me grief since I got it. I bought it from a mate who won it in a tournament and didnt need it so it was a pretty good price lets say. I dont think its had much work

After making a cast and the thumb bar is depressed, I go to re-engage drive by turning the handle and i get a loud ratchetting sound until eventually it clunks into gear and then turns the spool. If i turn the handle slowly it wont re-engage.

Ive had it apart and everything looks perfect??? I seems that a small plastic yoke has something to do with the drive engage/disengage system so Im suspecting this to be the culprit?? Any suggestions?

Its an older reel so parts may be difficult to source, but otherwise it works great, very smooth and 9 bearings, would be a shame to piff it when it might be a quick/cheap fix.

Thanks

DIp

Re: Daiwa Capricorn 100H repairs

Mate I recently had a go at fixing a low profile of a different brand, this unit would click into free spool but not re-engage.
    I too found that it had to do with a plastic part, that plastic yoke was able to lift up and down allowing the part that needed to engage with it to slip under it. Does that plastic yoke have two springs on top of it? I rectified the issue by making the two spring apply more pressure to the plastic yoke. Maybe a couple of small spacers (tiny washers ??) under each spring and give the springs a little stretch.
    It worked for this reel, who knows for how long.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Meterplus View Post
    Mate I recently had a go at fixing a low profile of a different brand, this unit would click into free spool but not re-engage.
    I too found that it had to do with a plastic part, that plastic yoke was able to lift up and down allowing the part that needed to engage with it to slip under it. Does that plastic yoke have two springs on top of it? I rectified the issue by making the two spring apply more pressure to the plastic yoke. Maybe a couple of small spacers (tiny washers ??) under each spring and give the springs a little stretch.
    It worked for this reel, who knows for how long.

Steve
    Yeah mate thats the one, two springs which sit inside small seats at either end of the yoke.

Will give it a try, cheers

Update,

I used an office hole punch to make two small spacers out of an old store loyalty card (BCF actually). Glued them to the rebates that the springs sit in and presto, problem has gone away.

Good onya Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dipster2 View Post
    Update,

I used an office hole punch to make two small spacers out of an old store loyalty card (BCF actually). Glued them to the rebates that the springs sit in and presto, problem has gone away.

Good onya Steve
    Hey thats a top idea. Nice work.