Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much would you trust a pre 90's outboard?

Re: how much would you trust a pre 90's outboard?

auxiliary engines are more trouble than they are worth (in my opinion) on a small boat, they throw the balance way off (being on one side at the back) most are too small, and short shaft that barely reaches the water when needed, are way too small, and never get used, so when/if the time comes, chances are you will near kill yourself trying to start it.

I'd trust it if it looks good under the hood, ie. not a big blob of rust and still original aside from the VRO removal.

Not so sure about the penetrene I guess if it makes you feel good then I'd use an OMC recommended decarbon product maybe once a year? It seems to be more of a yankee thing along with their magic fuel treatment stuff.

Personally I'd rather break down 30Ks out than 3Ks out as I have a fear of magnetic rocks. I'd also have more trust in a 30 year old 2 stroke than a brand new hi tech motor.

No problem if you have all the required safety stuff plus extra battery/jump starter/pull rope... get a rope & learn how to use it.

It's a bit under powered so you're probably flogging it pretty hard and those motors had a value added feature of gudgeon pin faults which I found out about when the needle rollers got out & migrated up into the cylinder jamming a piston at the intake port.

Pod & twins would ruin a good boat IMO, I simply put a newer old tech 90HP (1988) on mine (old viking) and the difference was amazing.
    27Knots went to 35Knots so you can imagine the improvement throughout the rev range.

BTW what prop pitch are you running, touching 30 Knots loaded is pretty good for that rig.

I though the same a few years ago with my mate's new, second hand 1990 150hp. Ended up going 60km offshore a few times, no worries. Alas, on around the fourth go, the hull split her guts. Not fun at all. I guess my point is to make sure your hull is also up to the task.

Cuzza

Wow. That sucks. Split her guts? As in opened right up ?

It's all about confidence, if you trust your motor and skills you'll be fine. Obviously you have all the regulated safety equipment. I often do solo trips 70km offshore in my haines sig 520C , an 08 model.
    I don't go out in conditions more than 15kt forecast or 1.7m swell. As soon as there is white caps I reassess the weather.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kennzo View Post
    Wow. That sucks. Split her guts? As in opened right up ?
    No, not quite. One of the stringers had rotted, and she gave a way whilst we were out there. Managed to keep her half afloat (apparently unsinkable due to foam) until the rescue came two hours later. Was pretty nuts, especially with a big tiger shark hanging around. Throwing your mates a life jacket on a sinking vessel with no one in sight is not a good experience.

Cuzza

tohatsu 9.8s with a sail prop on them workwell
    only 26kgs in long shaft very light for the hp compared to others

rig up someone way to connect to main when in use so you can steer from helm on long trips back

lol i dont trust nothing with machine nowday anything could happen anytime LOL no matter how new or old... sometime it just bad luck... my new with off shore fishing is... always bring paddles LOL and wait for high tide to come back to land if it south!