Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Broadwater in a small boat?

The Broadwater in a small boat?

Hi guys. I'm heading back to the Gold Coast again for holidays in July, and as a coincidence, my son and his new bride will also be honeymooning there - (different locations, though!)
    They've both expressed a desire for me to take them fishing one day, either on the Seaway, or up a river. Given that I always fish up there landbased, I' have no clue about the Seaway - just what I've read on these forums, observed whilst fishing landbased, and the fact that I don't think it's the place to take a couple of newbies in a small boat!

So the question is - do I hire a boat, and run up one of the rivers, or do I charter a pro guide to put us onto some fish?

I'm sure that my passengers will be thrilled with bread and butter species - but even then, I'm not sure I could find them without a lot of trial and error.

Any suggestions will be appreciated - (providing they're not rude, but hey...I may even consider them, too!).

Re: The Broadwater in a small boat?

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Brad was my other choice...

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I've since spoken with Brad, and have yet to hear back from coastal Sportsfishing, but opting for one of these two sounds more like a plan than hiring a boat and fishing blind ourselves. Given their reputations and experience, I'm sure that they could put us onto fish far quicker than on our own. I had a hunch that this would be the way to go - normally, I like to suss out a location myself, but with limited time, guiding's the best option.

Local knowledge will get you onto fish, trying yourself in unfamiliar territory can be a disaster... It's a busy waterway, lots of things to watch out for, and 6 knot zones to be careful of. My daughter got married recently too, have already taken the new son in law out fishing twice... Or should I say crabbing, fishing was ordinary!

Good luck!
    Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to wet your appetite caught these on Saturday night around wavebreak island(fish) and crab island (crabs)
    Attached Images Attached Images

So you got some bait and crabs good going.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    So you got some bait and crabs good going.
    Geez Wayne that is a bit rough.
    All whiting except the 5 diver whiting across the bottom went 28cm or bigger. They were caught during a fishing meet targeting whiting. Half were caught by my four and six year old kids.
    Sorry they aren't jew like you catch but seaway was out of bounds for the meeting.
    It is sarcasm like yours that stops people posting

whiting taste way better than jew anyway :
    Wayno must have got out of the wrong side of the bed today lol
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Haha...ROTFL my fish is bigger than your fish... Actually, it's been too long since I settled for a "tranquil " fish of broadwater tings. Might be the next trip, the sand crab are obviously still there too. Paying for a local charter is a great option, but hey, I'll throw my hat in the ring and suggest a M&G. "Some" of us obviously know this area, it would be fun making sure the bride and groom have a good day out. I paid obscene amounts of money getting my daughter married off, it's still in my blood to help out another couple.

Opinions?

Scalem

Hi all - sorry to drag up an old thread, but we are soon heading up (in the next two weeks), and the son and (nearly) DIL have decided they just want to fish out of a small tinnie, and kick back at the same time. Can't talk 'em into a charter - bugger!
    It appears that hiring a boat at Southport will be the go, and drifting and trolling along the channel behind Wavebreak Island, around Loders Creek seems to be a plan - I'm hoping that most of the ginpalaces use the main channel, anyway.
    I'll be using small h/b's and s/p's, while the others soak some baits. I'd assume some flatties, whiting and bream may be a possibility? Tailor should be on the cards as well, methinks. !'m only taking 1-3kg tackle away for them, so bread and butter species will keep them happy and occupied.
    Anyway, it will be extremely pleasant to get out of Melbourne's 10 degree weather for a couple of weeks!

So now I know why they are predicting a cold snap next week, someone is bringing Melbourne weather with them!

Last time we fished Wavebreak with yabbies, we timed our arrival perfectly at the change. The next half hour was mayhem as we were kept busy. So they are happy to hire a little tinny? If they want to go fishing in someone elses boat as well, just say so. I for one might be able to swing a day off and help them out, others might also be willing to skipper for them.

Scalem

Wow! Thanks for the generosity, Scalem! I'll put your offer to them - after all, fishing with a local is pretty much guaranteed to turn results for them. They'll be up there for two weeks from the 20th, as will I. The cold weather will be preceding us, and we have every intention of leaving it behind! I have transport, so can we can easily meet you wherever you launch. As I said earlier, they'll have their own tackle, as I'm bringing along some kit, and I'll insist on paying for juice, bait and whatever else is needed on the day.
    I'll PM you when I know more. Thanks again for the offer!

Ausfish members are bloody tops - last trip up, Nathank put me onto some top landbased Jacks!

Quote Originally Posted by robfish 1 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the generosity, Scalem! I'll put your offer to them - after all, fishing with a local is pretty much guaranteed to turn results for them. They'll be up there for two weeks from the 20th, as will I. The cold weather will be preceding us, and we have every intention of leaving it behind! I have transport, so can we can easily meet you wherever you launch. As I said earlier, they'll have their own tackle, as I'm bringing along some kit, and I'll insist on paying for juice, bait and whatever else is needed on the day.
    I'll PM you when I know more. Thanks again for the offer!

Ausfish members are bloody tops - last trip up, Nathank put me onto some top landbased Jacks!
    I'll do my best, it still revolves around the major speed bump called work, hoping for a new contract or something else to happen, but can't rush these things! I won't pretend to be the guru of southport /broadwater, but I usually give it a good shake and come home with a fish or three. I'll PM you my mobile.

Scalem