Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Mupster View Post
    Looking good mate, but I'd be looking in those nooks and crannies before you go any further. You don't want to be doing things twice!
    Mupster had the scope in and around a few areas today and all looks good so far. I will need to drill a couple holes in the deck to have a gander in the other compartments which I will do very very soon as you are bloody correct with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Things they don't tell you at "boat refit school" - they always take longer than expected, they always cost more than budgeted and there will always be more to do than first thought. Be worth it in the end though - stay strong. Looking good so far.
    Hi Scott,

So true. Just got out of the boat after a day of sanding and sanding the inside of the transom where the transom shield fits and the son and I have removed and installed the gimbal bracket and transom shield 5 times today and have it down to less than 5 minutes. I picked up the engine jig today so I could fix the issue of 25 mm run off to portside from the center line of the engine. This is typical of the unexpected you spoke about and bloody hard to foresee things like that as you would expect the boat builder would give you a stern that was square to the center line of the keel. Anyway I have fixed it and rant over.

I will be filling you in box very soon as I start the re-wire so be ready

by far the most intense 700 refit thats been attempted !

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    by far the most intense 700 refit thats been attempted !
    Yes Moose I have lost my mind and need to seek some medical attention.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Yes Moose I have lost my mind and need to seek some medical attention.
    Way too late Brett - that happened the day you bought it home with intention of doing the refit. Best you can hope for now is something to control the itching so no one else notices
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Packed up the tools ready to return back to work and gave the boat and shed a good hose out to get the fiberglass dust out. I spent much time getting the transom flat and square to the center line of the boat so I didn't get to making the new bulkhead before heading back to work. Basically had to remove all the fiberglass from inside the transom where the transom shield fits and re shape. After checking the outside with a straight edge she was not flat either so back out with the sander and glass to shape and blend. Glassed both sides and the cut out and reinstalled the gimbal bracket and engine jig and have now have it within 2-3mm and that's the best I will get as I am getting close to the maximum tolerance of the thickness.

After removing the water out of the engine compartment after the big clean I noticed that water was actually coming out of the gelcoat inside, just small drops so I sponged up again and left it for a couple of hours and water back in the bilge again. This was from towards the stern and then noticed some drops coming from the area where the old bulkhead was and after getting a good look at it it seems that the fiberglass shows signs of delamination. So its another one of those unplanned jobs again which will have me removing the glass back in the engine compartment and re-glassing. You can see from the photos the dark areas and you may be able to see where the glass is not bonded. Always one to wonder why thing happen so going back on events fiberglass/gelcoat are not water prof so this boat had water laying in the bilge most of it's life so there is that to consider. I noticed the bulkhead I removed had moisture where it joined the bottom of the hull and in fact the fiberglass was coming off in the same area (delamination). This was caused by the thru bulkhead fitting to drain the shower and ice box which I removed by hand. The water has been happy for many years running through the timber into the fiberglass and causing delamination. The only way to find out the extent is to get out the sander and start removing the gelcoat and glass which is what I will do next time home.

Other than the unplanned jobs I am happy with the progress of getting the engine compartment ready and look forward to picking up the new engine next time home so I have a real item to measure off instead of a CAD drawing. The plan was to dry fit the engine and drive next trip but now with all the extra glassing I think that will be Christmas. i would like to thank several Ausfish members who have contacted me asking to drop around and have a look at this circus. All have been great blokes and most have been contemplating doing the conversion also and interested in all the other changes underway. Pretty sure some leave wondering what drugs I may be on.
    Attached Images Attached Images