Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 146
  1. #91
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Yep that is the general idea. I wish it was as simple as the one shown. Doing the change on the cruisemaster is a little more involved due to one being fiberglass and also the many different curves and angles designed into the stern. I also have a swim platform which will also need to be reconfigured. I am looking at making the top section removable also which will give access to the stern area to do any maintenance and also if the engine needs to be pulled out you have plenty of room. I will do some brainstorming with Jim before I make a plan on what I will do.


    Quote Originally Posted by snatchy View Post
    Following your project with interest.
    I saw photos of a "podded" sterndrive recently. Something like this maybe;

  2. #92
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Mate I just can't wait to put a fishing report up LOL.

    The wife wants me to have a drug test as she is pretty sure I am on something or should be.

    Every time I think I am having a win something else goes ass up and always involves more work. I am determent to make sure I get everything completed before I go in the water and no short cuts. I am keeping this boat for many years and will be decked out with everything I need so I only have my normal maintenance to preform and enjoy some trouble free boating.

    The satisfaction will be sitting in Fitzroy lagoon late afternoon with a couple of red fish in the box and sharing a cold beer with my son and having a laugh.


    Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    I tell you what Brett, you're a bigger man than me with your dedication to this project boat! From the trailer, to the tow vehicle, new motor and all that entails, all I can say is I hope when it's done you get a huge pay day of satisfaction!!

  3. #93
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Time to report in on this long project.

    Made a deal with the wife that I would get the projects around the house sorted out before I got stuck into this refit. Said she has waited 12 years for me to finish the house/pool/deck projects and I really had no come back to this statement as she was correct. So I had saved up for the re-fit for some time which is called the NDMF (New Diesel Motor Fund) the wife's projects grew and have chewed into the NDMF so back to saving. I still have a couple of items to complete for the wife but the list is near completed.

    In between the work around the house I did start doing a few tasks on the boat. Wife suggested that I get the boat under cover to make it easier for all the work I need to do on it. I had all intentions of putting a shed up to store the boat down the track but she was right again. Bloody hard trying to do it out in the open. So out came the jack hammer to build retaining walls for a shed pad and ordered a shed. Laid the slab last time I was home and erecting the shed when I get back home this swing. All these cost have also come out of the NDMF which is looking very sad at present.

    Once I get the shed up it will be game on. Had plenty of time researching the different items for the re-fit and planing the attack. First job will be modifying the engine bay which entails removing the engine beds and cutting out the forward transverse bulkhead to gain the necessary room. I also need to do some work on the stern due to poorly installed transom plate allowing water in behind and the fact that no drain bung installed which had the bottom of the transom plate sitting in water most of it's life.

    Still looking at the Yanmar as the pick of motors to install but have done a little research on Steyr diesels. Anyone got first hand experience with these ?. Well here is a couple of photos of the boat sitting on concrete. A couple of photos of it sitting in the water would be nice.
    One.jpgTwo.jpg

  4. #94

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    very interesting watching this project, has it been a good percentage of a hobby as well as a cost saving measure? one could make the argument it would of been easier to start with something else first off. still! its very exciting to watch

    Moose

    Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

  5. #95
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    very interesting watching this project, has it been a good percentage of a hobby as well as a cost saving measure? one could make the argument it would of been easier to start with something else first off. still! its very exciting to watch

    Moose
    Moose where would the fun be in that

  6. #96

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Yep that is the general idea. I wish it was as simple as the one shown. Doing the change on the cruisemaster is a little more involved due to one being fiberglass and also the many different curves and angles designed into the stern. I also have a swim platform which will also need to be reconfigured. I am looking at making the top section removable also which will give access to the stern area to do any maintenance and also if the engine needs to be pulled out you have plenty of room. I will do some brainstorming with Jim before I make a plan on what I will do.
    Don't worry Brett. We have some truly skilled people in the Australian marine industry - the impossible they can do......and miracles - they just cost more. . Just don't let the financial controller in on just how miraculous it is when you are finished. Safer that way.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

  7. #97
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Well doesn't seem that anyone has a Steyr Diesel in their boat. That answers my question on that one.

  8. #98
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Not sure if you have seen this or not? http://www.redbook.com.au/boat-revie...?csn_tnet=true

    The D3 seems interesting power to weight wise.

    What are you considering engine wise so far?

    Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

  9. #99

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Theres a few around just possibly not ausfish members. They seem ok.

  10. #100
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Thanks Chimo I had a read of the review.

    Engine wise I am looking at the Yanmar 4LHA at this stage and have looked at most of the others since making the decision to install a diesel. Have read a few reports on the Steyr diesel motors but you only get the sales pitch.

  11. #101
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Is that motor give you enough flexibility with its optimum revs at or above 2200 and lots of potential for glazed pots if you don't work it hard for most of its hrs.

    It does not seem to offer much flexibility revs wise and maybe will be good if your just going to run hard all the time your moving. ie above 2200 and up to close to max.

    C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

  12. #102
    Ausfish Silver Member brett62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Caboolture
    Thread Starter

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    [QUOTE=Chimo;1631193]Is that motor give you enough flexibility with its optimum revs at or above 2200 and lots of potential for glazed pots if you don't work it hard for most of its hrs.

    It does not seem to offer much flexibility revs wise and maybe will be good if your just going to run hard all the time your moving. ie above 2200 and up to close to max.

    Yes you have hit one of the issues that i am a little concerned with. I was not really wanting to go with a engine with more electronics then the space shuttle but control over fuel delivery and other functions has it's place when you are not sitting on that optimum band. In saying that they have been used for a very long time and hard to find to much negative about the 4LHA.

    Chimo I have plenty of work to do on the boat before I make the final call on the engine so I shall continue talking and researching. As you would know every engine has good and not so good features no matter what the badge is but sometime soon I am going too have to make a decision.

  13. #103
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Given that your not doing anything for a while one wonders if the new diesel outboards like the OXE and mounted on a pod rearward of the transom would do the job with a lot more flexibility and a lot more space in the boat for all sorts of things including as many extra fuel tanks as desired to give large range?

    C
    C

    https://www.facebook.com/OXEDieselOfficial/
    What could go wrong.......................

  14. #104

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Have you considered fitting 300 or 400 hp of outboard(s) on a pod?
    Much bigger cockpit, probably better performance, redundancy if you go for twin 150's or 200's, significantly less initial outlay, especially if you buy 3yr old ex-VMR or commercial engines with perfect service history, only slightly less fuel economy - the current lean burn Suzuki's are very economical -
    I like diesels, but, with respect, I think the modern outboard is a pretty good alternative for your boat, especially when you gain a meter of cockpit...
    There was a pair of counter rotating 200 Suzuki's at Hamilton Island recently for sale for about $15,000. They had 1750 hours up, but perfect service history and supposed to be in exceptional condition.
    Add $4000 for a pod and another $5,000 for steering, floor repairs and general "boat" sundries, and you have a fast reliable boat which can go wide and you just saved the best part of - what - $50,000?
    Just a thought...

  15. #105

    Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

    Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    Have you considered fitting 300 or 400 hp of outboard(s) on a pod?
    Much bigger cockpit, probably better performance, redundancy if you go for twin 150's or 200's, significantly less initial outlay, especially if you buy 3yr old ex-VMR or commercial engines with perfect service history, only slightly less fuel economy - the current lean burn Suzuki's are very economical -
    I like diesels, but, with respect, I think the modern outboard is a pretty good alternative for your boat, especially when you gain a meter of cockpit...
    There was a pair of counter rotating 200 Suzuki's at Hamilton Island recently for sale for about $15,000. They had 1750 hours up, but perfect service history and supposed to be in exceptional condition.
    Add $4000 for a pod and another $5,000 for steering, floor repairs and general "boat" sundries, and you have a fast reliable boat which can go wide and you just saved the best part of - what - $50,000?
    Just a thought...
    I have a diesel stern drive and tend to agree with the above (though would prefer to go new). The main reason I went diesel was due to the long runs we did out of Townsville, but the latest four strokes are getting so close that I don't think the diesel is that much ahead anymore. If my engine ever dies then I will be doing a lot of thinking before bolting in another diesel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us