Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

I'm sure she'd appreciate the $5k saving by doing a deal now.

After all, the Mercruiser is coming out whichever way you look at it, and it's not going back in.

I'd be advertising that sucker now too just quietly so a buyer can see it's a good runner. It will be worth a whole lot less once it's sitting on a concrete floor because;
    1. The buyer will know you want it gone.
    2. Can't see the package run.
    3. They just always look like a bunch of junk when separated into engine/transom shield/leg even if really nice examples.
    It could feasibly sit around for a while too so best to get it advertised sooner rather than later.

All good points Woo. Time is not something on my side at present. I am still finishing the trailer off(nearly there) so I can get the boat on and get the motor removed. I am only home every 3 weeks so I need to work around that when I am trying to sell also.

I am making up a stand to fit the old motor on and will be able to run on the stand all together. The new owner can have the stand with it. I want to get the drive soda blasted to remove the anti foul off also. I will also have Jim do a complete mechanical report (compression test etc) on the motor. There are a couple of jobs I want to do on it also so the new owner can just install.

Agree having in bits won't look the best so it will be assembled in a stand running. Agree that it may take sometime to sell another reason for the stand so I can run it up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    I'm sure she'd appreciate the $5k saving by doing a deal now.

After all, the Mercruiser is coming out whichever way you look at it, and it's not going back in.

I'd be advertising that sucker now too just quietly so a buyer can see it's a good runner. It will be worth a whole lot less once it's sitting on a concrete floor because;
    1. The buyer will know you want it gone.
    2. Can't see the package run.
    3. They just always look like a bunch of junk when separated into engine/transom shield/leg even if really nice examples.
    It could feasibly sit around for a while too so best to get it advertised sooner rather than later.

Ahhhhhhhhh I see I see....
    Is yours the Cruisemaster I saw moored for a time on the end of one of the Newport Marina fingers?

Nah, parked up on a pontoon at Bribie for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhh I see I see....
    Is yours the Cruisemaster I saw moored for a time on the end of one of the Newport Marina fingers?

I toured the Whittley factory recently & viewed the diesel engine that goes in their CR2600 & the CR cruise master as an option. Neville Whittley said it costs about $$6500 extra for the diesel option over petrol but if you do it after market it costs about $14,000

Quote Originally Posted by seashawgal View Post
    I toured the Whittley factory recently & viewed the diesel engine that goes in their CR2600 & the CR cruise master as an option. Neville Whittley said it costs about $$6500 extra for the diesel option over petrol but if you do it after market it costs about $14,000
    That sounds about right.

What diesel are they using in the boat will make a big difference to the cost also.

Hi People,

Its been a while getting ready for the re-power and the boat is now ready to have the mercruiser and drive removed. I have just completed removing the anti-foul off the hull and only have the stern to remove once the drive is off. The boat is now sitting on the new trailer and I have booked the boat with Jim for next time I am home to remove the motor. Jim is picking the boat up and he will put over the weigh bridge to have the real weight of the boat so he can finish off working out engine size and props. He is pretty sure the 240hp will do what I need and I will leave that to him sort out. Jim has spent quite some time speaking with me over the last year about my project and priced up the motor and drive and also accessories that he has suggested I also install. With Jim's permission I will post a final cost of the install once we are completed. I will be doing a large amount of the prep work so giving Jim a clean install and also saving me a little coin. I have a couple of weeks off over Christmas and the plan is to get in to preparing the rest of the boat for the diesel install.

I do have a very long list of jobs to do and I will start taking photos as I progress and share what I do and problems faced with converting over. Before I head back to work I was just checking a few items out in the boat and decided to remove the carpet and open the inspection ports on the port and starboard side of the deck. They are only 150mm DIA so don't get to see a lot. What I did notice was a fair amount of water sitting under the deck which has not drained down to the stern. I will be removing the fuel tank soon and I should get a better look at why the water is not draining away. Not sure if anyone has had a look at what the set up is under the cruisemaster deck. If someone has I would be interested on what the set up is for draining. There is a shower and also a built in ice box that drain into the hull and one would think that this would find its way to the bilge and then pump out. It's near impossible to have a good look in the bilge due to the engine etc.

Have a look on Ali express or ebay. You can get a tiny USB endoscope camera for onder $10 delivered that you can hook up to laptop or phone and poke inside under hull. Also great at parties or for amatuer medical procedures

Brett

Is using a pvc pipe run or runs from the shower and the built in ice box to a sump at the rear of the boat with its own float switch operated pump worth considering. You don't need much hair or cooler crud to cause blockages that hold water in places you don't really want it.

Watching your project with interest, thanks.

Cheers
    Chimo

I like the last use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Have a look on Ali express or ebay. You can get a tiny USB endoscope camera for onder $10 delivered that you can hook up to laptop or phone and poke inside under hull. Also great at parties or for amatuer medical procedures

Chimo I like that idea. I will need to get a good look at what the set up is and work it from there. There is quite a fair amount of water that I can see. I will see if I can get a look in the engine bay tomorrow. The boat has no drain in it which I will install once I get the motor out. Fun times ahead with getting this boat right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Brett

Is using a pvc pipe run or runs from the shower and the built in ice box to a sump at the rear of the boat with its own float switch operated pump worth considering. You don't need much hair or cooler crud to cause blockages that hold water in places you don't really want it.

Watching your project with interest, thanks.

Cheers
    Chimo

I went and purchased a self priming pump today to get the water out. I was able to get my hand right down to the stern where the engine bay meet where one would think a drain hole would live on both sides to allow water to enter the bilge and was surprised to find nothing at all. The only drain I found was at the keel on the forward engine bay bulkhead. I measured what I could get out and still have more to remove but finding a little hard to get the hose down far enough. I got 100 litres of smelly shitty water out and estimate another 40 Litres still enjoying living in the stern area. Certainly something else to modify while the motor is out. Previous owners must not of realised they were carrying a fat guest around with them.

I am installing another battery for the new motor giving me 2 crank and 2 house batteries. After removing 140 kg of water adding another battery doesn't worry me at all now.

Ok here we go.

Last trip home Jim (Captain rednuts) picked the boat up and off down to the workshop to remove the mercruiser. I removed risers/manifolds and 90% of hoses and wiring and left the rest up to Jim and his lads. Jim picked the boat up at 10.30 am and on the way put the boat over the weigh bridge. I got a phone call at 5.00pm saying he was on the way back with the boat minus one mercruiser. I couldn't believe he got it out that quick and suggested that he should do it for a living.

I went down to Jim's the next morning and picked up the old motor and returned back home to start the process of cleaning up etc. Jim showed me a couple of items that would have ended the motor's life had I used it. I will take some photos of the issues and share once I get home again from work.

Ok down to the real job now and that is fitting a diesel yanmar in the hole where the mercruiser lived. As soon as I gave the engine bay a little clean up it was out with the tape to see what work is needed to fit the motor. Now I have only done a quick check and my findings are that I need some 4" of more space in length and about the same in height. Jim has a jig to confirm what is required and I will wait till he checks it out but I don't think I am to far off the mark. This will have me doing a fair amount of changes to the engine bay and the stern area. I also have water still seeping out of the transom which tells me that I will be replacing the timber reinforcing pad where the transom shield bolts.

I have been thinking hard about what I need to do and stealing another 4' of space in the cockpit is not something I really like. I am going to have a serious look at maybe moving the motor back towards the stern much like a pod. This will increase the work I will need to do but I am seriously considering doing it. If I go this way I will move the motor back 12" and gain some more room.

I see a few boat builders doing the same and I will have a few conversations with Jim on the subject. One thing that really gave me the shits with the original set up was how hard it was to gain access to the engine to do maintenance and just generally check things down the stern area. I remember Jim saying that many people that do the re-power take the opportunity to make changes to their boat at the same time around the engine area. I understand what he is saying now. If there are any cruisermaster owners reading this wouldn't it be wonderful to get rid of those support frames from the gunnels to the hard top. Well they are going and will be replaced with a S/S ladder frame off the stern and will also have a swing down bait board. Doing this will give me much better fishing room not having those side post in the way. I will have a couple of removable tubes that can be quickly installed to support the storm curtains if required.

The one problem I have come up with moving the motor is how I will set up the hydraulic steering which will take a little working out.

I knew that this re-power would not be a easy simple project from the start and certainly is going to burn many hours of my time before I can hand over to Jim so he can do the install.DSC00954 (Copy).jpgDSC00945 (Copy).jpgDSC00943 (Copy).jpg

Following your project with interest.
    I saw photos of a "podded" sterndrive recently. Something like this maybe;

I tell you what Brett, you're a bigger man than me with your dedication to this project boat! From the trailer, to the tow vehicle, new motor and all that entails, all I can say is I hope when it's done you get a huge pay day of satisfaction!!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon