Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Hi Brendon,

Mate the mercruiser fuel burn is good and the motor only has 70 hours of run. My main reason for going diesel is the range as I have changed my fishing/boating requirements. I am now wanting to spend 2 or 3 nights out and where I wish to fish requires me to do a lot more travelling. I don't want to be carrying extra petrol as that's a PIA. i will be selling the motor and drive once I get it out of the boat as a complete unit ready to go.

Going by the hours Smithy has put on his motors it will out live me. Some say you will never cover the extra cost going to diesel but after working out the difference you certainly will. I think if you have a boat that covers all that you want and need and intend on keeping the re-power is worth it and changing to diesel is even better.

I have booked Jim for June to pull the mercruiser out so I can get on to the other jobs in the boat and do any changes Jim needs. Re-wiring the boat and upgrading a few items. I need to reconfigure the helm and also stripping the boat and giving it a full detail before it goes back to Jim to perform his magic.

I will be taking photos as I get started and share the rebuild with all. It may help others with information and the cost. I am sure Jim will just get harder to book with. He has helped me so much already and is yet to put a spanner near the boat.

Hello Brett62,
    some very surprising fuel figures for that Chapperal.
    Have a look at the following link, which is a Yanmar brochure for a 4LHA-STP Series , and study the power & fuel curves.
    Is this motor comparable to what you plan?
    http://www.yanmarmarine.eu/theme/yan...r-4LHA-STP.pdf
    By my calculations;
    RPM Prop HP Lt/hr gal/hr Hp/gal
    3300 225 55 12.1 18.6
    3000 180 38 8.4 21.4
    2400 100 23 5.1 19.6
    2200 80 18 4 20
    2000 65 15 3.3 19.7
    The figures for the Chapperal 25ft sportscruiser weighing in at 3356kg.
    Cruise speed 25 Knots burning 18 lph = 80hp.
    Cruise speed 22 knots burning 13 lph = 65hp.
    Can a boat that weighs 3.3 tonnes really plane at 22 knots on 65 propshaft hp?????
    The charts do show loads of torque at those revs, maybe that makes it possible but I do not think so.

Have look at this link, Bertram 25 230hp 4LHA + Mercruiser leg, which is broadly comparable to your Whittley.
    http://www.nickpilgrim.com/newslette...newsletter.pdf
    "The Bertram 25 ran at a brisk 20 knots and used just 80 litres of fuel over the 130km journey."
    130 km = 68 nautical miles / 20knots = 3.5 hours
    80 litres / 3.5 hours = 23litres per hour at 20 knots.
    Which is 100 propshaft hp as per the Yanmar charts, which is a more believable result.
    If my figures are incorrect, please let me know.
    You may want to reconsider the fuel consumption side of the decision.

Hi crocodile,

Have read many different results on fuel burn with different diesels over the last 12 months and worked on about 23l per hour at a cruise of 25 knots for my boat. The results from the Chapperal are very impressive and far better than I would have expected. The results are real world and not from a graph. Now I don't know if I will get the same results but I should get around the same. I know Jim was very happy with the combination with gear ratio and prop size he worked out and the owner is a happy camper also. Time will tell what I get and I certainly will share the results. I originally worked on getting about 650 km range with the set up and that was working on the 315HP YANMAR. The fuel consumption is important as this of course relates to the range which is the important part of the decision for me.

My 4lha-STP when new should have produced 230hp with a 3,100rpm maximum continuous rating and 3,300rpm redline for 3.45 litres capacity in a 4cyl. In the current guise it produces 240hp, rest of the specs are the same. I can only go on the trip when I bought mine down from 1770 in one go for a bit over 12 hours on the plane in one go and 415 litres at 2600-2800rpm for 29 litres an hour. 2,800 was my old cruise for 20knots. I repitched the prop and now cruise at 18+ knots for 2,800 and probably have to push it to 2,950 to cruise at 20 but I mostly sit on 2,800 if conditions allow. Pretty much to the old formula at 20knots of 10 litres per hour per 1,000cc of capacity (well a bit worse).

Hey Crocodile Those figures on that (inboard Shaft Drive) brochure are real bad and im sure they wouldn't sell many engines if they were that thirsty?? ive just searched heaps of American sites to see what they are quoting and the very first page i found was a similar boat doing 27knots at 3100 Rpm using 16-18 L/P/H so i continued reading many other brochures claiming similar figures in real life.
    Im hoping Ausfish Member Smithy can join in and tell us all what he uses as im sure its not 40 plus LPH in his charter boat or he would be struggling to make a living.
    We have sold and fitted 5 x 4LHA series engines and they all like how economical they are so im assuming they all didn't read that brochure before buying them.
    Cheers JIM

Sorry smithy i was typing whilst you were posting. Lol
    Ill drag out the Stern drive Brochure tomorrow and see if its quoting stupid figures as well as we have put a slighly different ratio leg on this one which has been very painful to select props for speed but were great on fuel burn whilst swinging small props.
    All my other data from previous re-powers with the same engine average 22 LPH at cruise but all are totally different to each other in ratios and hull designs.
    Its impossible to accurately compare figures when there are so many variables like ratios and prop slippage on poorly designed hulls.

My prop slip is terrible. I know that from doing the calcs. Not as bad as a trawler though! A sterndrive will get the power to the ground a lot better I would say for sure. Any curves I have seen though still have fuel burn in that 20-30 lph range for on the plane sort of revs for those sub 300hp engines. Fueled up beside Xes, one of those 9m alloy crab boats the other night. He had a de-rated big block 6cyl Yanmar around 250hp in that. He burnt way less than me for similar speeds. 22-25lph shifting about 4.5T around with 1.5T of product aboard. His is the only one with a full keel like mine so was better at the dock but was wandery downsea like mine. At the dock the other ones are terrible for skating sideways. Our mate Bruce has a 500hp Yanmar in Silver Lady and was way quicker than him old mate was saying.

thought this would have got better
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunda...eyr/1074066228

Jim the sooner you do the re-power in the cruisemaster the better. When I get the boat back on the trailer I will be taking it down to the weigh bridge again and I will do that on the way home after you remove the mercruiser. The more accurate figures I can get for you the better. I have read many results on boats that have gone from petrol to diesel some have been good and some have been not so good. Very few actually tell you the prop sizes and the gear ratio that was used which is the most important part to get right. Anyway I will be flying home tomorrow and we will catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by captain rednut View Post
    Hey Crocodile Those figures on that (inboard Shaft Drive) brochure are real bad and im sure they wouldn't sell many engines if they were that thirsty?? ive just searched heaps of American sites to see what they are quoting and the very first page i found was a similar boat doing 27knots at 3100 Rpm using 16-18 L/P/H so i continued reading many other brochures claiming similar figures in real life.
    Im hoping Ausfish Member Smithy can join in and tell us all what he uses as im sure its not 40 plus LPH in his charter boat or he would be struggling to make a living.
    We have sold and fitted 5 x 4LHA series engines and they all like how economical they are so im assuming they all didn't read that brochure before buying them.
    Cheers JIM

Mate all I can say is you have a great boat there the cruisemasters ride fantastic. I drove on with a 260 diesel Volvo Penta in it and it went fantastic I have also driven one with the Petrol V6 also. I found the boat with the diesel had a more well balanced hull than the petrol and the turbo spooling up as you take off sounds awesome aswell lol. You will love it mate The Yanmars are a great engine. I have been on Smithys boat a couple of times and love the sound of that engine. Well worth the bucks and Jimmy really kows his stuff to. You are in good hands mate.
    LOVIN THE GOOD TIMES FAMILY AND FRIENDS LOVE THE SPORT TIGHT LINES PEOPLE.....

Well I was able to sit down with Jim while I was home from work and finally have worked out the package that will be installed.

The motor will be the 4LHA with a bravo III drive. Jim went through the set up with me and I walked away a happy man. Jim the new shop is great and will be one of the best set ups I have seen once you complete your dream.

Jim went through all the different boat test he conducted with the different props and the results varied a lot. I think Jim said he conducted four sea trails until he was happy with the results.

I have booked in to have the mercrusier removed in July and do the finally measure up of the engine bay etc. It was also suggested to install a sea water pick up, install a good fuel filtration system and a few other items Jim recommended. I will install whatever the man says.

It would seem that the Yanmar will have a price increase shortly which is not good for me. It will add another $5000 to the price by the time I am ready to install towards the end of the year but that's life.

Anyway I know what is going in and what I have to do so I can get my side of the project completed.

Thanks rednuts

Why not buy it now and pocket the saving? Yanmar will commence the warranty period once the installation is signed off.

Yep Woo.The minster of finance wanted me to sell the mercruiser first. I think she is concerned if I pay for the new motor now I will not be so interested in selling the old motor. She is also concerned that I have made space to store the motor in the shed when I get it out. The space I picked is next to a ford trader truck I brought to fix up and sell some 12 months ago. LOL

I have told Jim very happy to pay sizeable deposit to hold at current price and he will speak to Mr Yanmar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    Why not buy it now and pocket the saving? Yanmar will commence the warranty period once the installation is signed off.

If Jim can store it the wife won't know will she.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I had pre warning from her about trying something like that and the punishment would be swift and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    If Jim can store it the wife won't know will she.