Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Try again,

join the words boat and test, no space.
    Still doesn't work for me. Any chance of PM'ing the link?

the Yanmar 315 is the Toyota 1HD-FT with a larger turbo and mechanical injection from the last of the 80 series.
    This engine is arguably the best 4wd diesel ever built, certainly the most reliable considering the power output.
    But it isnt a light engine, so weight may be an issue that needs addressing, but could be as simple as moving your batteries up the front, theres 50-70kg straightaway.

Hi Brett the BY260 is a new boat install and the 6LPA is a re-power from a V8 petrol just like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello brett62,
    have a look at these results.
    Same boat petrol V diesel on a similar weight boat to yours.
    http://www.########.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=1893
    http://www.########.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=1894
    Have a look at this website, they have actually installed and tested a very similar setup.
    http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pub/index.php
    I am glad that you have got over the $$$$ because from a financial position it make no sense at all for a recreational user. You will never recoup the startup costs and maintenance on a high-tech diesel will be heartbreaking.
    If you don't believe me on that talk to a mechanic who services modern diesel cars.
    I see that you are at Caboolture so finding a competent mechanic should be easy enough.
    Diesel is safer from a fire, but if it ever does catch alight, stand well back.
    I assume that you have an LP gas bottle on board, I would be more worried about that.
    From the range figures above there would be no need to increase the capacity of the fuel tank.
    To test for the extra 100kgs, have some crew members sit on the engine box for a while.
    Make sure that the Yanmar is not made in China because I drive a work vehicle that has a Chinese diesel and it is hugely temperamental and no-one knows how to fix it.
    Your point on the high tech diesel is correct. That's why I am going with the Yanmar 6LPA as they are simple. As in one of my post I mentioned that I had spoken to marine diesel mechanics and all said stay away from the high tech engines.

I have a friend who comes in at 110kg and has broken a few chairs in my house I may add. I am not to worried about the extra 100 kg as I have had 8 people aboard and all but two of us where forward and no problems.

If I am unlucky enough to catch fire at lest I have time to jump in the water instead of being catapulted at great speed looking like a burnt sausage. LOL

I do carry a LPG bottle but is stored on the swim platform off the transom which is the safest place for it out of the boat.

I wont be increasing the fuel capacity but may-be moving the tank further forward. One of the reasons for going diesel is to give me the range I need with out having to carry drums of petrol with me which is something I have done before but don't like it.

Yep it's going to cost me and will never recover the cost but when the day comes to sell on I will certainly get a far better price for her. Really don't see me selling for a very long time as it has and does all that I need and as I move onto retirement I will be using a lot and will certainly be clocking some hours up.

Thanks for those links, was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by captain rednut View Post
    Hi Brett the BY260 is a new boat install and the 6LPA is a re-power from a V8 petrol just like yours.
    I can see you getting VERY busy Jim.

I only wish that was my boat you were doing now. I am looking forward to the results on this one. It would seem that there are a few of us now willing to part with the money to get what we should have at the start. When I was upgrading to what I have now I really wanted a diesel power plant but just nothing available on the 2nd hand market at the time. The other mistake I made was not thinking hard enough of what I was going to want from the boat down the track as with regards to where I wanted to fish etc. At the time I was happy fishing and boating just around the local area so range was covered pretty well with the petrol no problem. I have changed now and wish to travel further for longer.

Looking forward to the day you drop in the Yanmar.

I think if you are happy with the boat it will be money well spent and it will transform the boat.

Yanmar has always had a good name in the smaller diesel market.I wouldn't be surprised if you get better usable performance due to the better torque curve of the diesel also,

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

gotta be a good thing that you can use toyota parts/ fitlers etc. i dont have first hand experience but everyone who has one speaks of how expensive volvo parts can be. Dont know about resale. i reckon it would be a good thing. it would transform the boat from a bit of a caravan (small tank) to a more serious bluewater contender.

Quote Originally Posted by captain rednut View Post
    Hi Brett
    Ive got two yanmar installs on now that i can give you accurate speed and fuel data statistics on when complete and one boat is nearly a sister ship in size and weight but a different brand to yours with the same choice of engine 315 Hp Yanmar with a bravo Three drive and the other one is the same size and weight with a 260 hp BY ZT370 Drive so ill compare speed and fuel figures for you for curiosity.
    Cheers JIM
    Hi Jim,

How are the installations going?

Brett62
    well done on decision
    you will not look back at all
    I believe you will love your diesel ones u experience economy .Maintains is the key for any engine regales of the brand.
    I got small diesel (isuzu) in my boat and I love it .
    looking forward to see photos of the progress .

G'day Brett, good luck with the re-power.
    Have you considered the extra (significant) noise factor of the diesel under the hardtop of the Whittley, especially as you are planning long voyages?
    There is going to be a fair bit of re-customising the engine box/rear berth-lounge arrangement also, the extra long rear seat base will make it arkward to sit on.

Quote Originally Posted by mal555 View Post
    G'day Brett, good luck with the re-power.
    Have you considered the extra (significant) noise factor of the diesel under the hardtop of the Whittley, especially as you are planning long voyages?
    There is going to be a fair bit of re-customising the engine box/rear berth-lounge arrangement also, the extra long rear seat base will make it arkward to sit on.
    Hi mal55,

Noise I will be ok(wont hear the wife) with as they are no worse than the what I have now. Been in a boat with 2 of them thumping away and was impressed of how quite they are. With regards to the engine box and seats I have looked at it and worked out what I need to do. The engine bay needs to be 100mm longer, I need to move the fuel tank forward and the seats will need to be re-shaped to fit. The engine box itself will only need to be made longer as is ok for other dimensions. I have a bit of work ahead of me as you know but I am in the process of basically bringing the rig up to new. Well the amount of money I am spending would seem like that.

Once I get right in to the changes I will post photos. I also have to re- arrange the helm dash to accommodate the new gear. But you are correct mal555, there is a fair amount of work but I will have something that will service me for many fishing years to come.

Don't sweat the extra coin. If you spent it on flash electronics you would lose that much in depreciation in only a few years

Hi Brett,
    Do the new-gen common rail Diesels need a return line back into the tank like the old oilers did?

If so do the Whitley tanks have them as standard (capped off for petrol donks)? Otherwise can you get to the tank to fit?
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Brendon,

Yes a return line is required. I will be moving the tank forward and yes it can be removed. I will be having a close look at the tank and pressure test as the pervious owner said he had it repaired due to a leak. It is a stainless steel tank and if its one of the light gauge tanks I will be throwing it away. I have repaired many of that type before and they are a on-going issue.

rHi Brett

My ss tank in my Vagabond developed pin holes in the bottom because when the boat was built and assembled someone forgot to fit teflon spacer strips between the tank bed and the bottom of the tank. Miniscule amount of moisture and 12 volts from the sender unit and bob's your uncle.

May I suggest you check for teflon or similar spacer strips under your tank when you get to that stage.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................