Classifieds

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Ausfish Gold Member

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Err, are you confusing Stehr with Steyr? Steyr build heavy diesels.

Stehr? Never heard of them
    Steyr make real good top notch guns.
    They also used to make diesel engines and cars and motorbikes but that is ancient history.
    Their modern diesel engines are called "Chainsaw" engines because of high revs and light construction. Also the concept of no head gasket may seem great to the novice, but good luck if you need to do any work on the head.
    Time will tell, they do look nice.
    i would have gone for a Yanmar. and a V drive and dump the stern drive. Sure, some mucking around with the hull required.

No it's a Steyr diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
    Stehr? Never heard of them
    Steyr make real good top notch guns.
    They also used to make diesel engines and cars and motorbikes but that is ancient history.
    Their modern diesel engines are called "Chainsaw" engines because of high revs and light construction. Also the concept of no head gasket may seem great to the novice, but good luck if you need to do any work on the head.
    Time will tell, they do look nice.
    i would have gone for a Yanmar. and a V drive and dump the stern drive. Sure, some mucking around with the hull required.
    The Yanmar is also a high revving chainsaw. The Yanmars are certainly great motors and proven their reliability over many years. I certainly didn't choose the Steyr because it had no head gasket. There is a lot more science behind my decision.

Having to do work on the valves is not a issue to me and pulling down the engine is also not a issue to me. As with any engine do the correct services and maintenance and you will be rewarded with a long service life before requiring any major repairs unless you have a really bad day.

If I was leaving the boat in the water a V drive would have been my choice also. This is a trailer boat and both stern drives and V drive have pro's and con's and for my setup stern drive ticked the right boxes for this style of boat and its intended use. I am not a fan of stern drives permanently in the water.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Progress???

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    Progress???
    Hi Giddy,

Have been doing some long swings at work so not much progress on the boat.

Last time home I found myself doing a full bathroom rebuild at the daughters house and still need to complete it when I am home again in a week.

One thing I did do a couple days before returning to work was purchase a tinny so I can do some fishing while the project continued on the big boat. Was going to wait until I finished but project has grown as you know.

Will update when I get back home with some photos.

You must be ready to take on another project with the latest one near completed ?

Ausfish Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Hi Giddy,
    You must be ready to take on another project with the latest one near completed ?
    Mate, I'm champing at the bit, but I'm out of room. The Mustang, Ventura and the 16 Haines take up the whole diveway, to the point where I can't get 2 cars out of the garage without going to a lot of effort.

But I'm pretty keen to do a Formula Haines or a yank Thunderbird or even a Donzi...

Maybe I'll just renovate the bathroom instead ;-)