Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

See exactly what you mean

Even if you have to do a little mod to fit it, on the rear of the boat it can be best described as "The Power Bulge"
    What could go wrong.......................

If I need to change I will take it right across the engine bay with a step out. I will have to take the swim platform back off to do any modification which is a step backwards. I hope to get time today to take some measurements.

So reinstalled the transom shield this morning and did some measuring and it will just make it. Not as much clearance one would like but enough.

I may still get the saw back out when I get back and cut out the old recessed section from the old boarding ladder at the stern. I looked at it before and decided that it won't bother if I just left it. Looking now at getting the most room for equipment down the back it's back on the list. The benefits will be much greater for the amount of work involved to cut it out and glass a flat panel back in. As you can see from the photos it does take some very useable area which I can use to install a blower.

I really need to stop modifying, but then again that's what this project has turned into.

Rehashing the helm area is going to be an interesting project and very itchy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back from work and a couple of days just to relax then got out with the saw and cut the ladder recess out and into the wheelie bin. I looked at it for an hour trying to convince myself not to do it but lost.
    Certainly has given me some more needed space at the stern. 3 liters of resin, 13 layers of 450 gram CSM and Cloth and 5 layers of 600 gram CSM and about 2 more to lay down and then sanding and fairing.
    This time home I would like to get most of the glassing finished at the stern but will see how I go as plenty to do and I am getting slower. Mate came around when I was attacking the stern with a saw and said "Well looks like another 12 months before we get out fishing". Just love a smart ass.

IMG_20180917_073355.jpg

Some people worry about putting a hole in their boat for a bung

IMG_20180918_074637.jpg

Used 12mm ply as a backing inside and it will have a bracket glassed in for the engine blower it will also support the trim tab motor out of the road.

IMG_20180920_162243.jpg

Photo from inside which may be hard to see the extra room.
    IMG_20180920_162149.jpg

Couple of more layers to go. I give the builder top marks for not skimping on the glass. The stern was 13 mm thick which explains why this boat weighs so much.

Well it's been a while since I worked on the boat as work and home duties have kept me busy.

Last trip home from work the plan was to do some mulching the first few days home and get stuck into the boat but second day home I decided to drive a pitch fork through my foot which had me down for the rest of the 3 weeks home unable to do much. Anyway the wife thinks it was funny and hasn't let me forget it.

Well the Steyr diesel is due for some preservation so on Wednesday I am running it into the dealer to bench run and get it sprayed in side. Thought I would do it now instead of having to tow the whole rig in. I have had the drive hanging off the engine hoist for some time and now was a good time to make the rolling stand as I need the hoist to lift the motor into the trailer. Knocked it up in a day and I will give it a coat of paint later. Something else off the list and also started fabricating a rolling gantry for the engine install which is not far off once I finish off the glassing and modifications around the stern, this is what my main focus is this trip home.

A couple of photos of the rolling stand which will make installing and removing the drive much easier.

IMG_20190309_151931.jpgIMG_20190309_151947.jpg

So have decided that on the starboard side at the stern I will raise the deck level the same as the port side which will help keeping the area dry. Before the crank battery and other equipment was always subject to water and the plan is to keep the stern area dry.

InkedDSC01526_LI.jpg

Also will install fairing blocks on the stern for transducer mounting since I installed bungs in the stern I lost mounting positions and I plan on completing sanding and gelcoating from the removal of the boarding ladder. That will have the outside stern completed ready for reinstalling the transom shield, gimbal bracket, trim tabs etc. Once I get the inside stern area finished it will be time to install the engine and all the bells and whistles.

I was a little pissed off with myself for not tackling the boarding ladder and the transducer mounts while I was rebuilding the stern first off. It's funny sometimes when you say to yourself "I should do this" and talk yourself out of it only to change your mind. Gelcoating and sanding the stern was pretty time consuming the first time and now I am about to do it again.

InkedIMG_20190309_152001_LI.jpg

man shes coming together for sure!

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    man shes coming together for sure!
    Hi moose,

Very slowly tho.

Ran the engine into Steyr for a run up and came back home without the engine. The Steyr gents are putting a boat together for the upcoming boat show and motor delivery from the manufacturer won't arrive in time so they asked if I would given them my engine and will replace once the next motor shipment arrives in July. With my progress and the amount I need to do I had no problem with it.

Was happy to help out as they have been good to deal with and have looked after me. I was going to trial fit next but now I will head on to that dash area and get it out of the road.

You seem to have a spelling issue Brett. There was no "H" in Boaht.....until now. Doing a top job mate. I'm surprised your missus hasn't stabbed you with the garden fork. Mine would have .

Time to head back to work so here a couple of photos of the progress this time home. Got a few more items under way with the weather not the best for glassing. It was either hot as hell or bloody raining with nothing in between.

Glassed up the transducer mounts and got the first coat of gelcoat on ready for sanding when I get back next time and also first coat on the old ladder recess.

Cut in inspection ports and glassed in the raised deck down the stern. Also made the rest of the brackets required for mounting various equipment but have not glassed in as yet due to the weather.

Cut in the 6" inspection ports gave me a good look under the deck and she is very clean and in good condition. I could really get the scope in and have a good look and can now reach right down to the stern to get any water out and now the hull can dry out when stored. Have to get the rauter out and recess the ports so they are flush with the deck and also lay a couple of layers of glass down to seal them up. I will be also mounting a 1 kw transducer thru hull which I now have access for.

I am thinking I will probably sand and re- gelcoat the lower section of the stern as I don't think I will get the colour match right. A little bit of a pain in the ass but it's just time sanding and will look better. Much happier having the the transducer mounts part of the stern instead of having bolt on brackets. Much more appealing looking as part of the boat I think and now they are away from the drive which can only be better for readings.

The plan next time back is to have the stern completed inside and out ready for fit out in that area anyway. There is quite a few panels and trims that are associated with the ass end and some are carpeted and upholstered which I will need to modify so that will keep me out of trouble.

One thing I would like to put to the forum is that there has been a lot of people rebuilding boats and doing many changes to lay outs and lots of great things. During my rebuild I just want to make sure that people are not turned away from the the builder of my boat. They have done a great job of putting this boat together and must remember they need to meet a market which is all about price and all the things I am doing are just coming from my head being a boat builder and cost is not a issue as very cheap labour.

Some may think " He has just spent thousands and could have brought a new boat" this would be correct to a point. But ask a builder to do what I am doing and the price would go through the roof. No one wants to pay the price of doing things these days. We all look for the cheapest everything, and I am no different, but the old saying "you get what you pay for" is so true.

I was about to say to save the money for this project to upgrade the boat ... too late

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    One thing I would like to put to the forum is that there has been a lot of people rebuilding boats and doing many changes to lay outs and lots of great things. During my rebuild I just want to make sure that people are not turned away from the the builder of my boat. They have done a great job of putting this boat together and must remember they need to meet a market which is all about price and all the things I am doing are just coming from my head being a boat builder and cost is not a issue as very cheap labour.

Some may think " He has just spent thousands and could have brought a new boat" this would be correct to a point. But ask a builder to do what I am doing and the price would go through the roof. No one wants to pay the price of doing things these days. We all look for the cheapest everything, and I am no different, but the old saying "you get what you pay for" is so true.

Don't think it will be too much of an issue round these parts Brett. Anyone who has been around production boats long enough knows that finding one that suits your wants and needs perfectly can be a very tall order. I have seen people spend half a mill on custom 26 foot tenders and these days 250k would be pretty "normal" for a custom build of what you will end up with. There is also a great sense of personal satisfaction for some of us in watching a concept in some dark little corner of our head become reality by our own hand. At the end of the day if was really about the money - none of us would own boats period. We do it because we love it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Don't think it will be too much of an issue round these parts Brett. Anyone who has been around production boats long enough knows that finding one that suits your wants and needs perfectly can be a very tall order. I have seen people spend half a mill on custom 26 foot tenders and these days 250k would be pretty "normal" for a custom build of what you will end up with. There is also a great sense of personal satisfaction for some of us in watching a concept in some dark little corner of our head become reality by our own hand. At the end of the day if was really about the money - none of us would own boats period. We do it because we love it.
    Correct Scott I agree with all of what you have said. I am taking a production boat and customising for what I want in a boat. My boat building has been with aluminum so tackling the fiberglass has been and still is a learning curve for myself but in some sick way enjoying the experience.

The dark little corner of my head is really messed up at times

Thumbs up Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
    I was about to say to save the money for this project to upgrade the boat ... too late
    Yep to late.

What made you go for a steyr engine? They make good guns but chainsaw type engines