Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Re: Re-power Cruisemaster 700 with diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Mupster View Post
    Looking good mate, but I'd be looking in those nooks and crannies before you go any further. You don't want to be doing things twice!
    Mupster had the scope in and around a few areas today and all looks good so far. I will need to drill a couple holes in the deck to have a gander in the other compartments which I will do very very soon as you are bloody correct with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Things they don't tell you at "boat refit school" - they always take longer than expected, they always cost more than budgeted and there will always be more to do than first thought. Be worth it in the end though - stay strong. Looking good so far.
    Hi Scott,

So true. Just got out of the boat after a day of sanding and sanding the inside of the transom where the transom shield fits and the son and I have removed and installed the gimbal bracket and transom shield 5 times today and have it down to less than 5 minutes. I picked up the engine jig today so I could fix the issue of 25 mm run off to portside from the center line of the engine. This is typical of the unexpected you spoke about and bloody hard to foresee things like that as you would expect the boat builder would give you a stern that was square to the center line of the keel. Anyway I have fixed it and rant over.

I will be filling you in box very soon as I start the re-wire so be ready

by far the most intense 700 refit thats been attempted !

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    by far the most intense 700 refit thats been attempted !
    Yes Moose I have lost my mind and need to seek some medical attention.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Yes Moose I have lost my mind and need to seek some medical attention.
    Way too late Brett - that happened the day you bought it home with intention of doing the refit. Best you can hope for now is something to control the itching so no one else notices

Packed up the tools ready to return back to work and gave the boat and shed a good hose out to get the fiberglass dust out. I spent much time getting the transom flat and square to the center line of the boat so I didn't get to making the new bulkhead before heading back to work. Basically had to remove all the fiberglass from inside the transom where the transom shield fits and re shape. After checking the outside with a straight edge she was not flat either so back out with the sander and glass to shape and blend. Glassed both sides and the cut out and reinstalled the gimbal bracket and engine jig and now have it within 2-3mm and that's the best I will get as I am getting close to the maximum tolerance of the thickness.

After removing the water out of the engine compartment after the big clean I noticed that water was actually coming out of the gelcoat inside, just small drops so I sponged up again and left it for a couple of hours and water back in the bilge again. This was from towards the stern and then noticed some drops coming from the area where the old bulkhead was and after getting a good look at it it seems that the fiberglass shows signs of delamination. So its another one of those unplanned jobs again which will have me removing the glass back in the engine compartment and re-glassing. You can see from the photos the dark areas and you may be able to see where the glass is not bonded. Always one to wonder why thing happen so going back on events fiberglass/gelcoat are not water prof so this boat had water laying in the bilge most of it's life so there is that to consider. I noticed the bulkhead I removed had moisture where it joined the bottom of the hull and in fact the fiberglass was coming off in the same area (delamination). This was caused by the thru bulkhead fitting to drain the shower and ice box which I removed by hand. The water has been happy for many years running through the timber into the fiberglass and causing delamination. The only way to find out the extent is to get out the sander and start removing the gelcoat and glass which is what I will do next time home.

Other than the unplanned jobs I am happy with the progress of getting the engine compartment ready and look forward to picking up the new engine next time home so I have a real item to measure off instead of a CAD drawing. The plan was to dry fit the engine and drive next trip but now with all the extra glassing I think that will be Christmas. i would like to thank several Ausfish members who have contacted me asking to drop around and have a look at this circus. All have been great blokes and most have been contemplating doing the conversion also and interested in all the other changes underway. Pretty sure some leave wondering what drugs I may be on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok Moose here is what I have come up with for the re-building of the helm. I have everything fitting but it is going to be a bit of work fiber glassing but certainly can be achieved . The more I look at it with the extra space it will also give me behind the dash to mount the auto pilot pump and other modules I think it will be well worth the extra work. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok Moose here is what I have come up with for the re-building of the helm. I have everything fitting but it is going to be a bit of work fiber glassing but certainly can be achieved . The more I look at it with the extra space it will also give me behind the dash to mount the auto pilot pump and other modules I think it will be well worth the extra work. What do you think?
    I think you better take up yoga now LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I think you better take up yoga now LOL.
    This is the creativity from my Led Zeppelin and rum night.

Wish I could read my writing, Not sure how I didn't cut myself with the Stanley knife in the process.

yep some nice hot showers will be the go after working on that. but i love the enthusiasm! getting in there and just doing it the way you want. re glassing is a PITA. but!!! opens up to some really fun stuff. would you consider tinting the gellcoat to have less glare? "or painting if you cant be bothered?"
    Space is everybodies friend.

i say go for it! D:

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    yep some nice hot showers will be the go after working on that. but i love the enthusiasm! getting in there and just doing it the way you want. re glassing is a PITA. but!!! opens up to some really fun stuff. would you consider tinting the gellcoat to have less glare? "or painting if you cant be bothered?"
    Space is everybodies friend.

i say go for it! D:
    Hi Moose, I will keep it the same color and will be using gelcoat. I have now cleared my head from last night and what I will do is lay up panels in glass with the gelcoat already on and then I will do joins and reinforcement required in the boat. This will leave me the lest amount of sanding and polishing in position. The cruisemaster didn't have the greatest amount of dash space as you know but after I cut the crap out of it you are right it does open itself to some toy's. Not sure if you can read the tags on the templates I stuck on and photograph due to probably having 6 more rums then I should have but pretty much what you recommended except sticking with the ICOM and also the Steyr engine display as I spoke to the people that make the interface box and they said that I will only get the bare engine information. Also found out that they make the display units for Steyr and many other engine manufactures so read between the lines on that one. Not blaming them as I would do the same.

I will get the engine bolted in and sorted out and then I will start the helm rebuild. Hope you are having some New Year sales so I can fill the holes up

i had a fantastic evening out early morning and last night....with some rum............in Richmond, Melbourne...........it was tricky to escape
    lol well yeah the company you speak of... have their hands in lots and LOTS of pies but they are alright. never had much of an issue with them

Moose

www.moosemarine.com.au

Well back home again and picked up the new motor and drive today. All unpacked and sorted out ready for the next stage. Doing our deck ceiling for the wife this trip so won't get a lot done on the boat this time. Good to have the motor in the shed so I can get real measurements and a visual look at what I need to do for fitting. Have already come across a few issues I need to look closer at for access and the sea water pick up may need some thinking over.

The boy's at Steyr were great to deal with and offered their advise at anytime. Spoke with one of their installers when I picked the gear up and really was full of information on very thing diesel and gave me lots of tips and can see myself speaking with him a lot more. Anyway been a long time but now have the power plant and getting closer to wetting a line.

Spending some time back on the boat this break and removed the last of wires and equipment from the stern area, parked the boat out on the foot path and sanded the engine compartment and stern area for 2 days removing the entire suspect fiberglass and flow coat. Filling all the screw holes and any other redundant holes like rod holders and blower outlet, thru hull pickups that will not suit the new install. Glassed some supports under the stern gunnel for the new hard top post to bolt and installing an extra wall in same area which will give me a mount for the trim pump and fuel filter. Adding a few other mounting supports for other equipment and replacing several others that look like they are at the end of their life. My glassing work is growing with the usual unseen or unplanned finds. Removed the trim tabs with 50% of the screws snapping off inside the transom so I will need to dig them out and repair. I am presently glassing up the engine beds and will have completed in the next several days and will post a couple of progress photos. I had a fight with the sander and lost with a few layers of skin removed from my leg and now have some type of rash on my arms and legs which is driving me crazy.

Having all the equipment for the engine and drive is making life easier with planning what needs to go where. I don’t have a lot of room down at the stern and the previous install was terrible is all I can say. The good thing about doing this myself is you can really plan and take the time to get it right although I sometime think to much.

One thing I can advise on if you are ever doing a petrol to diesel change out is have a good look at the engines and what they are designed for. Now if you have plenty of room for your engine this is not so important but if not be aware of engines that are converted vehicle design. They are just not very friendly for performing maintenance and keeping things out of the bilge. If you are installing a petrol inboard there is really only a couple of bands available. Diesels on the other hand is surprising what is out there and I certainly found the purpose marine engine stands out from the rest.

Anyway back to glassing

I had a fight with the sander and lost with a few layers of skin removed from my leg and now have some type of rash on my arms and legs which is driving me crazy.
    Anyway back to glassing
    Hi Brett, looks like things are coming together, you didn't hold the sander with one hand only by any chance did you? Regarding your rash, last time I saw you, I think that you were using dust overalls when sanding so it could be just some stray dust in them and with the heat and humidity possibly causing the rash. Are you using Polyester resin or epoxy? I don't know it you use compressed air to blow off excess dust off exposed skin but it is not advised to do that as that can embed the the glass fibers deeper into the skin causing irritation.

Cheers
    Ed.