Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Somerset

Re: Somerset

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Good rat is a dead rat, damn vermin, another imported pest like the cane frog.

Never caught a platypus in the traps in damns either , they don't exist in dams , too many bs artists who say platypus are easily caught in OHP.
    You know very little bondy99.

Native water rats are protected and platypus exist in most SE Qld dams. I have personally seen them at Borumba, Monduran and in the north at Eungella.

Perhaps you should research more and mouth-off less...

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    That's why they've changed the laws regarding hole size in redclaw traps Bondy. Better check the regs before you go.
    no change to the hole size in SEQ dams

yes seems to apply more to the rivers and streams in between.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    You know very little bondy99.

Native water rats are protected and platypus exist in most SE Qld dams. I have personally seen them at Borumba, Monduran and in the north at Eungella.

Perhaps you should research more and mouth-off less...

Peter4,
    I'm not talking about the mongrels with white tails, I'm talking about the all grey mongrels they are not native to Australia

There are no platypus in Wivenhoe Dam, none in North Pine Dam, None in Wyralong Dam, None in Hinze Dam either, none in Maroon either. I don't give a toss about the other dams, not my concern, don't go there, I've been to all of the ones I mentioned. Rivers and creeks are different matter, inside the dam walls never seen one.

Why are you so passionate about water rats?

How do you discriminate which breed of Water Rat your pots kill?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    no change to the hole size in SEQ dams
    Sorry, I was going back to the original change that brought in the fixed ring openings.
    Dale

no probs dale
    cheers snap

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    I'm not talking about the mongrels with white tails, I'm talking about the all grey mongrels they are not native to Australia

There are no platypus in Wivenhoe Dam, none in North Pine Dam, None in Wyralong Dam, None in Hinze Dam either, none in Maroon either. I don't give a toss about the other dams, not my concern, don't go there, I've been to all of the ones I mentioned. Rivers and creeks are different matter, inside the dam walls never seen one.

Why are you so passionate about water rats?
    There is only one species of water rat in Australia and that is the Rakali (or native water rat) which is protected. Unlikely that you would catch any other type of rat in the locations you describe. Black, brown and polynesian rats (all introduced) prefer areas of human habitation rather than lakes, though brown rats like sewers.

And just because you don't see a platypus doesn't mean they are not present. Recent surveys have discovered that they are much more widespread than what was suspected.

I'm not passionate about rats, just a bit tired of your incessant meaningless nattering and lack of respect for other living creatures...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    There is only one species of water rat in Australia and that is the Rakali (or native water rat) which is protected. Unlikely that you would catch any other type of rat in the locations you describe. Black, brown and polynesian rats (all introduced) prefer areas of human habitation rather than lakes, though brown rats like sewers.

And just because you don't see a platypus doesn't mean they are not present. Recent surveys have discovered that they are much more widespread than what was suspected.

I'm not passionate about rats, just a bit tired of your incessant meaningless nattering and lack of respect for other living creatures...

I've been in touch with previous National Parks as well as other Agencies such as SEQWater. no reports of any platypus in the dams I've mentioned, I'm very certain a lot of surveys have taken place by various entities for one reason or another and none have reported any platypus.

How does a large Platypus enter a locked opera house trap with a such a narrow opening?

I bring to your attention the front lines of a newspaper and follow up on Television about an alleged platypus caught in an opera house trap.

Sun is shining, trap is not wet, no signs of moisture and the platypus was large.

After investigations the person who perpetrated the topic is from an animal activist group and admitted it was faked. Never heard or seen this person get fined or punished for creating a public nuisance.

Definitely a brown rat in the trap, perhaps I should have taken a photo of it and post it here for those non believers or scoffers, however, that was some time ago.

Lol, I've got a lot of respect for other living creatures but I'm not a religious nut like some people, that wont eat cows because they are sacred. I'm not a vego either, I like meat, Its a world of eat or be eaten. Dog eat dog world.

Bondy we were talking about Water Rats and you said a good rat is a dead rat. They are protected buddy. Now, if you are getting common rats in your pots I would suggest you stop setting them on land and put them in the water. Don't try to change the subject to Platypus mate, I've seen one in Wivenhoe so you really don't know what you're talking about.
    Dale

“If you have the power to change the world for the better, you should do it. That's why people who do nothing are idiots, but idiots who do nothing are life-savers.”
    James McGregor

So then, how's somerset going?........

anyway, we caught plenty of good redclaw around the snags in 1-3mtrs, nothing really in anything deeper.
    barely got any fishing in due to poor weather or beer getting in the way.
    the boys fished from the bank and caught loads of little grunter and tilapia.
    Caught shrimp off the rocks at the campground at night. Gotta keep checking and get them out though or the little buggers get out.
    Possums koalas and rabbits everywhere at night around camp
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.