Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Kluger on the beach

Toyota Kluger on the beach

Just following on from the beach fishing conditions question I asked in General Fishing. A few of us are planning a trip up to Teewah Beach at the end of the month. We have the option of taking a Toyota Kluger. Just wondering people's views and if you've had any experience with taking a Kluger or similar soft roader up the beach. Obviously it doesn't have low range, but I figure if the cuttings aren't too bad, once on the beach it should travel ok.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh and I should mention we will be towing a camper trailer.

Re: Toyota Kluger on the beach

You mention you have the option of taking a kluger,what is the other option?

My personal opinion..........if it was my Kluger and camper it wouldn't be going.

I wouldn't, first time I used my kluger on a sand boat ramp I got stuck and had to be pulled out, that one wheel just kept going round and round. Sure once your on the hard sand no problems but getting through the soft stuff they aren't up to it. If driving on the sand the kluger stays home and we take the misses prado.

We have a few other proven beach performing options - Landcruiser, Jeep etc. But the Kluger option suits me better because it's not my car, so I wouldn't need to worry as much about making sure ever bit of sand, saltwater etc was out from underneath it. Not to the degree that I would if it was my car. The Kluger option is also much cheaper on fuel as it comes with a fuel card.

But the fuel cost isn't a big deal, it's more not having to worry about the cleaning that I prefer. But that being said, no point taking it if it's not going to get us where we're going. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the first cutting was pretty good. I thought maybe with a bit of momentum and the traction control off it might be able to punch through.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    We have a few other proven beach performing options - Landcruiser, Jeep etc. But the Kluger option suits me better because it's not my car, so I wouldn't need to worry as much about making sure ever bit of sand, saltwater etc was out from underneath it. Not to the degree that I would if it was my car. The Kluger option is also much cheaper on fuel as it comes with a fuel card.

But the fuel cost isn't a big deal, it's more not having to worry about the cleaning that I prefer. But that being said, no point taking it if it's not going to get us where we're going. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the first cutting was pretty good. I thought maybe with a bit of momentum and the traction control off it might be able to punch through.
    Seriously! If the Klugar does not have low range capability I personally would not be 4wheel driving in it. Your just asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

The whole situation is summed up with one word from the last sentence in your last post Fafnir - might. I have seen old two wheel drive Falcon 500's on the beach under the right conditions. I have also seen plenty of "proper" 4wd's bogged to the axles in the wrong conditions - even had to dig a couple out myself. If you want to travel with a bit of confidence - take a better vehicle. Oh, and a shovel just in case.

My klugers a fully maintained company car too and I still don't use it in those situations preferring to use the prado where I have to pay all the costs. I must say through, one bad experience put me off so I never tried it again - its been discussed before with one report they go OK on the sand.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=kluger

I had an answer typed out but deleted it as it wasn't nice and made reference to lack of respect for others property and the misuse of fuel cards etc. I'l leave you to make your own decision on which vehicle to take,hope it doesn't rain while you are on the beach in the Kluger.

I don't own a Kluger but I have accompanied one to Fraser. It was fine on the open beach and OK getting onto and off the barge at Inskip. It did however suck completely on the inland tracks and when we tried to go to Mackenzie I ended up having to tow it about 80% of the way. It also drank fuel like crazy in the soft sand. He wasn't towing anything. And it only had one of those screw in tow points which made me very nervous but we got lucky and it didn't let go.

I still get a bit of a nervous twitch when I see a Kluger

Matt

Cheers Matt, that's exactly what I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by stockhorse View Post
    I had an answer typed out but deleted it as it wasn't nice and made reference to lack of respect for others property and the misuse of fuel cards etc. I'l leave you to make your own decision on which vehicle to take,hope it doesn't rain while you are on the beach in the Kluger.
    It's only misuse if the company has a problem with it, which they don't, they've said it's ok, so I'm glad you deleted your earlier post.

Yeah doesn't sound like it's worth the pain. But thought it was worth asking. Looks like I'll be doing some detailing when we get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    It's only misuse if the company has a problem with it, which they don't, they've said it's ok, so I'm glad you deleted your earlier post.
    +1

I typed the same thing but a bit more blunt, decided to delete to avoid the angst

Sand can be hard enough to deal with in a proper 4by not towing a trailer. I reckon you would spend plenty of time digging.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    I don't own a Kluger but I have accompanied one to Fraser. It was fine on the open beach and OK getting onto and off the barge at Inskip. It did however suck completely on the inland tracks and when we tried to go to Mackenzie I ended up having to tow it about 80% of the way. It also drank fuel like crazy in the soft sand. He wasn't towing anything. And it only had one of those screw in tow points which made me very nervous but we got lucky and it didn't let go.

I still get a bit of a nervous twitch when I see a Kluger

Matt
    Stop being nice. That thing was worse than useless.

My recollection was towing the heap of shit from just past the boards up the hill behind Eurong, all through the lakes circuit, all the way over to Kingfisher and all the way back over the Cornwalls Break road.

Ok, I'm exaggerating.....you didn't have to tow it while we were on the bitumen in Kingfisher.

In fact, in hindsight it was even more hopeless than the xtrail that I towed backwards all the way back to kingfisher.

Short version - no softroaders anywhere else other than the hard sand below the high tide mark and it will be bloody hard work getting on and off the beach.

Thinking back even harder, that bloody thing couldnt even get off the beach into camp. I remember Waz getting bogged in the driveway!