Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dads weekend away

dads weekend away

Guys,
    Once a year my wife and a few of her good mates have a mums weekend away. they all have kids and us good husbands encourage them to do this so they have some time out and can think only of themselves (god we are good husbands!) Well the wife's have got together and told us that it is about time that the boys went away and did the same, if we don't organise something, they will.
    So we thought we better get onto it. I live in Northern NSW, one bloke lives in Brisbane, the other two live up near Bundy, so we are looking at a central location to keep travell fair between us all, some where between Harvey Bay and the Gold Coast maybe. Will have boats. I will take my 4.2m runabout if needed, and my mate Matty will be taking his new Haines Hunter wont you Matty !!!!!
    Wont be camping, going to lash out and get an apartment, house, or something along those lines as when we normally go away, us husbands spend more time setting up camp, taking kids fishing, organising food etc etc and don't want to deal with any of that, its ab0ut us this weekend, that's what its all about. problem is where to go. Of course fishing is high on the agenda, offshore/bay with a back up for bad weather be it a seaway or river system. Want to be near pubs, restaurants, and a Golf Course nearby for one of the mad boys golfing addiction. Looking at a Thursday to Sunday trip. Was thinking the Goldy, as we can go offshore, estuary and seaway itself if crappy weather, golf course etc. Also hitting the Bay and Moreton Island is also an option. What are some thoughts please...........will be going sooner than later, before Easter i would say. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated......
    JN

Re: dads weekend away

Good on you for taking some time out!

So many great options between GC and Hervey bay. Personally though, if you have the 4wds for it nothing beats Fraser Island. Period!

Apart from that I'd give some thought to Mooloolaba or Noosa, they both offer some great options for both fishing and accommodation alike!

Skulljug,
    Have 4bys and
    thought about Fraser but don't want to do the camping thing. Where would we launch from to get to Fraser if we were to consider to stay at Kingfisher Bay Resort, and can we tie up the boat at the resort. As i said, this will be a treat for us Dads so dont mind paying a bit extra for some comfort. The idea of being out on the water all day and returning to some where nice, jump in the pool, head to bar, restuarant etc etc......
    JN

So far Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser is the pick. Offshore fishing if conditions allow or inside Fraser if to rough out wide. Can get a 2 bed room apt for $228 a night, sleeps four (in separate beds!). Chic on the phone said no mooring charges if we are staying there, just need to pull boat up onto the beach. ....
    Anyone stayed there and would like to comment....
    JN

Hey JewieNewie (Such a good name!),

You can rent houses on the eastern side of the Island. We had some mates out from England we took over there, we rented a house at happy valley that was fully setup for a blokes fishing weekend. Filleting board with tap, twin chest freezers, bar on the ocean side of the house and a deck on the roof with ocean views and a ton of bedrooms with HEAPS of beds! Not terribly cheap from memory.. but it's FRASER!

If I get a chance tonight I'll try to track it down for you.

Here you go. Currently $208 a night or $52 a night each - Minimum 4 nights though. There are quite a few other places like this.

http://www.fraserislandaccommodation.../parker-place/

Thanks mate,
    But on speaking to a mate who is coming about going to Kingfisher, he has a client who has a two bedroom villa in kingfisher and its available so all good there !!
    Gunna put the boat in from some where in harvey, yet to research, then jet over.
    Where is the best place to launch ??
    JN

Isn't there a ramp at Kingfisher? Would save having to leave the boat in the water if the weather turns nasty. Would mean extra barge cost getting the trailer over though.

We do a dad's weekend every year. Two years in a row we go to Moreton Island then the next two years we go to Straddie we do it that way to get at least two trips on the beach permit.
    Would be reluctant to leave the boat on the beach and be so far away from it. Might find things missing

Still_dreaming,
    dont know what to do about that one......I am hoping hoping he can lock up the cabin of his boat and we can just put all gear that we can in there over night........Any other options.....Dont really want to take a 4by and trailer over on the barge, trying to keep costs down.
    JN

Hey JN, right in the heart of the broadwater is the often overlooked broadwater tourist park. The villas are right on the water, and if you score the right one you can nose the boat up onto sandy beach at your doorstep, unpack there before retrieving the boat on their own ( very good quality) boat ramp on loders creek. Cleaning tables right next to amenities which are very good quality, a treasure trove of all you want and can eat within walking distance. Tell me a blokes week away isn't occasionally Maccas for lunch or dinner? Located on the other side of the park! Taverns are a few mins drive away. It's my favourite place to stay on the goldy if boating, and many others book way in advance.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wash your mouth out Scalem, Maccas is a dirty word in my house hold....We are locked in to Kingfisher but have checked out the Broadwater Tourist park and it looks the goods. Def gunna take the family with my boat and give it a run......And our blokes weekend away wouldnt be complete with cooking half a cow supplied by one of the boys.......Gotta love those Bundy boys....
    JN

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    So far Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser is the pick. Offshore fishing if conditions allow or inside Fraser if to rough out wide. Can get a 2 bed room apt for $228 a night, sleeps four (in separate beds!). Chic on the phone said no mooring charges if we are staying there, just need to pull boat up onto the beach. ....
    Anyone stayed there and would like to comment....
    JN
    Mate it is a long way to go for offshore fishing if you are staying at kingfisher. Long run up to roonies and you still have go across the bar north of sandy cape. Most people I know do a run up, fish return to roonies for the night then head out again before heading back to Urungan. Plenty of options in the straits and bay though just watch out for all the bloody green zones

Thanks mate,
    As its not my boat and my mate just bought it a week ago, he is keen to fish the straights and bay as you have suggested so he can feel her out. He said we will look at the offshore option after we have had a go around the straights and suss out the weather. What are the options in the straights, hoping to have a chance at some pelagics...........Have we made a bad call????
    JN

Mate I have had limited success up there but lucky Phil on here knows the area well. Send him a Pm he is very helpful sort of fella