Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu Dmax 2013 and or Mitsubishi triton 2.5L help please.

Isuzu Dmax 2013 and or Mitsubishi triton 2.5L help please.

How's it going fellers.
    I am about to purchase a duel cab auto DID for work and also for play(towing boats etc between 1.5 and 2ton).
    I've narrowed it down to these two ute's mainly because of price.
    My questions are the usual, what type of km when towing and around town and are these two utes good quality as i keep cars for many many years.
    One thing I've heard of with the 2.5L triton is they get a carbon build up but no one seems to say what it actually means or how it can be fixed or avoided.
    Any help would be great thanks.
    I've done heaps of research and I've done a search but could not find specific information.
    Thanks heaps guys.

Re: Isuzu Dmax 2013 and or Mitsubishi triton 2.5L help please.

Mate you cant go wrong with the dmax, I have the 2014 model auto (same thing) and they just have got everything right! strong, reliable, great towing, heaps of torque/pulling power. Tritions are ok for what they are I guess but the dmax just ticks all the boxes and super reliable especially if you want to keep it a longtime. As for towing economy im not exactly sure as I haven't had a chance been to busy with work but you always hear good things from Isuzu not often you hear a bad comment. Go onto the 4wd action forum and check both utes out youll see what I mean.

Anway all the best with the decision.

J

Thank heaps j_man.
    Your information is very reassuring.
    Just one question, where can I find the 4wd action forum.
    Thanks again.

Mate I have the 2013 dmax and it's been faultless unlike my sons triton wich has been in for recalls and problems 4 times but they are cheap ,my max gets around 9.1 lt 100 k with a load in the back or not it's way good . I have a mate who actually fits in the back seat comfortably and he's a big boy , I would suggest you put the words dmax problems and then do the same with the triton and make your own mind up but I won't be selling mine anytime soon . I also tow a caravan and a boat all too easy ..Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Personally I am not a fan of the small capacity diesels that they put in a lot of the utes now. Not that they are bad engines and in the right application they would be fine but the reliance on rpm to develop power in a load carrying vehicle means everything is working harder than it needs to IMO. For this reason alone I think I would be swayed to the Dmax. As for carbon build up - if it is EGR (exhaust gas return) that is creating the problem (and it probably is) this is not just particular to the Triton but most if not all modern diesels. The exhaust gases are fed back into the inlet manifold under certain conditions to satisfy pollution requirements. This typically combines with "blow by" (oil residue from the crank case ventilation) and forms a horrible looking black carbon gunk that in extreme cases clogs up the air intake manifold. There are ways to prevent it from happening or minimise it - some are legal (catch can to seperate the oil from air in the crankcase ventilation line), some are not so legal (EGR Blanking Plate) and anyone who gets caught with one is subject to substantial fines.

Thanks guys.
    Excellent info and I'm pretty much sold on the dmsx or if I can find a cheap bt50 it would also sway my decision.
    And thanks for the explenation Scottar I really appreciate it.

I had a 2012 manual Triton to tow the 552 evolution and a Jayco Expanda caravan 17.56.1
    It was a good bus around town however the springs in the arse were to soft, and it didn't have the grunt to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

D max are the pick of the utes at the moment I reckon, having said that I have an 08 BT-50 with 130k on the clock and it goes great and have never missed a beat. If I were buying new today I would go a D max, steer clear of the triton's they are good for the price, but got nothing on the higher end utes.

I'll throw a vote in for the Triton, and won't bad mouth the Dmax or others as I have never owned or ridden in one. Yep, the Tritons are cheap and that is what swayed me toward them (actually, the price dropped on them for what I was led to believe was a short period but has never gone back up much, maybe again when the new model comes out this year or next year?). I have owned a 13 and 14 model and both have been faultless, including hitching up the tinny and driving 6000km across Aus. The 13 cost me 29k delivered to my door (well, a km down the road) with factory tow bar fitted. I regularly tow the boat 250km round trip, have had it on the beach and it is my daily commute now I have offloaded the tired old Courier (which in itself was a great vehicle too). I have not had one issue with it other than 1 factory recall at the end of last year for an ecu update and replacement radiator cap, which was painless. That said, I would hope a brand new vehicle performs to specs effortlessly and trouble-free.
    When I bought it I was in the position that I did not want to spend 39k+ on a new ute, and the only cheapies were great walls which were a no go for me. I was looking at 25k secondhand ones then Mits dropped the price and I couldnt go past a Triton for sub 30. It has things I like about it and things I dislike about it but overall is a good vehicle and I'm sure the step up to a high 30s vehicle (or higher) would result in joy relative to the pricing. If I was to spend that kind of money I would be looking at an Amarok but hey, half the fun is looking. I could not see any reason you wouldn't be happy with a Triton but if you have the extra $$ and want one, get a Dmax.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

I have a 2013/14 Triton and have owned it just under a year. It is a work car purchased for me which makes it good no matter what it is. I have done around 35000k in this first year. A couple of issues I see are the rear suspension as mentioned. Leaf springs just too weak and starting to sag even though I don't carry much weight in it. The other is towing my boat. I have a Yalta 555 which I,m guessing comes in around 1500ish kgs. Once going on the road tows fine but pulling up the ramp needs a bit of clutch riding or deploying low range to make it easier on the car. This is was worse in my last work car, a D22 Nissan. The most disturbing thing about the Triton was when I took it to a mates property and did some very steep bush work with it. Going up no probs. Low range plenty of poke. Coming down, holy crap!!!!! Low range, first gear, and the car is running away on you. Luckily it was dry and not dangerous but in a muddy situation you could get yourself into real strife. By comparison my mate Ranger would nearly require a little acceleration in low range to speed things up a bit going down the same hills. On the road I cannot fault the triton. It drives well and gets around 9l,100 around town and down into the 8s on the highway.

Thanks guys.
    I sat in a Triton the other day with my family and we all loved the space and a fairly new up to date interior.

I've pretty much set my heart on the Dmax and i'm going to see one on the weekend which is the 2012 model but in the new shape.
    Pretty exited actually.
    Thanks again.

Just one more question please.
    If the factory tyres are 245x70x16 can I fit 265x70x16 legally? .
    Thanks again.

I can't see why not Gozz

Yeah mate they would be fine, 90% of dual cab utes when people get new tyres the 265/70/16 old size 31" is a safe and legal option. Police and insurance companies wouldn't look at them as they actually look like the size tyre utes should have instead of those pizza cutters 245's.