Thread: batteries

batteries

hi guys and girls, new to yaking and at the moment I need some info on a battery to power my sounder [dragonfly].pic of the install o batteries and transducer would be great as well

cheers

ian

Re: batteries

Hi Ian

Cant help you with the install pics but i run a 40 AH in my tinny that runs the sounder,bilge pump and nav lights and that is more than enough.
    Do a search for Mr Battery Value. Good batteries at good prices.

Cheers Dazza

It depends on how long you want it to run before you need to charge the battery. Look up the specifications on the sounder. You want to know what max. current it draws ( or the power. If they give the power, e.g. 6 watts, just divide by the voltage - i.e. 12, to give you a current of half an amp)

From a small 9 amp-hour battery Jaycar sell
    12V 9Ah SLA Battery

Rated capacity: 12V 9Ah
    20 hr rate: 600mA (12Ah)
    10 hr rate: 486mA (4.86Ah)
    5 hr rate: 864mA (4.32Ah)
    1 hr rate: 3.24A (3.24Ah)

So, if your sounder draws half an amp, this battery will keep it running for 10 hours straight. (actually maybe longer because, if it's like my sounder, it will run on a partially flat battery) If that isn't enough, just buy a bigger battery to suit your needs.

I use a 12V 7 amp-hour battery in my tinny to run my sounder. Like this:

I don't use my tinny much but only have to charge it every few months. Most kayakers run one of these.

My garmin will run for a day on an old ryobi 12v cordless drill battery. Photo of the transducer setup in sikaflex as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    nil carborundum illegitimi

You can pick up a battery from the likes of Jay Car or similar for around $30.

Check out youtube for install vid's on kayaks.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

thanks gentlemen...

Ian

I just did a trial run on the weekend with a 35 Amp hour Full River AGM battery. I used my whitesnake 18 pound leccy motor and Garmin 178 C all weekend. Probably used the motor for about 2 hours in total (about 1.5 hours at full speed) and the sounder for probably 10 hours in total and the battery still had 12.5 volts so pretty good.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing