Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with sale of a boat.

Re: Help with sale of a boat.

Yeah thanks sharkie.

The price will be dropping each fortnight at this stage. I've just got to accept that I will be making a loss on the boat despite all the hard work.

Yes the boat continues to be used regularly. And I am past the "don't scratch it" stage.

A boats value is only justified while being used 100km offshore filling Eskies. Not sitting in the yard as a lawn ornament.

If I lose money then I can justify it by the hours of enjoyment that the project has created. In the end it's only money.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Have you tried going to a car/boat wholesaler? Either someone from a dealership or independent? I recently sold off a quintrex coast runner, the wholesaler gave me $2500 more than my highest private offer. Had the boat advertised for $18k, got offers between $12-15k, wholesaler snapped it up for $17500.

Never heard of such animals there chuss.

Can you supply the details of the person/company you used. This might be worth a look into.

Cheers

can you post your link of the add

Can't you sell it on consignment at John Crawford marine or the like? I think the boat needs to be in Brisbane, thats where most people come to look on the whole. You have a great brand boat & as you say a great trailer, yes the 2 stroke brings the whole lot down but not worth changing. I bought a Whittley Impala 5.3 with a 90 Merc 2 stroke both 2005 models with a mackay trailer (which I am in the process of replacing as back has rusted out) for $19,000 18 months ago at Dolphin marine Maroochydore on consignment. The guy was trying to sell it for $25,000 then $23,000 then $21,000 etc but people thought it was too small, or too big etc etc. It was perfect for me as it's an all rounder & we can sleep in the cuddly cabin. I'd love a 4 stroke but the 2 stroke it so good I can't justify the cost. How old is your hull? There is a lot of competition of course but having said that patience is a virtue. Maybe take it off the market for a while and try again in a couple of months. Can you muster up the deposit for the house in any other way, think outside the square. Good luck, Rossy

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glads...30f/1054606993

Don't know the work you have done, apologies if the following have already been done and I am preaching to the converted. It might just be the time of year when people are still licking their wounds after a big Christmas credit card debt.

My last boat was a tad smaller glass runabout, but I had Arnold's do a written report of the seaworthiness of the hull. It was helped by the fact they replaced floor and tyranny a few years prior, so they would have been confident in their own work, but if you can get a glass repairer to do an inspection I think it would help. Any potential glass buyer would respect that you have obtained a professional assessment.
    Same with the motor, all receipts of work were neatly filed in date order, oldest to the most recent service where I asked the dealer to clearly state compression check results and anything that a potential buyer would want to know. The motor was the grey 70hp Johnson 2s.
    You might want to then include "all workshop service receipts available"

Cut and polish all exterior paint work.

Good luck,

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate, first off I will say you have done a great job on the rebuild.

Second, I'm a huge fan of the older Haines boats.

Without being negative, the boat is 22 years old with a older 2 stroke engine that is located 6 hours from brisbane.

In my opinion, your price is optimistic.

The engine and location of the boat is against you.

Reality is a buyer would be wanting to re-power your boat. Let's say a new donk at $10k brings the boat up to $35k.

Again mate, it's only my opinion and I hope you get what you are after.

Tony.

I am happy to receive the critic of the package.
    I based my price on other similar boat packages from advertised prices on other site.

I thought the hull shape and restoration was enough to carry the old outboard through. As I can not fault the motor apart from its fuel economy.

What I find strange is that I can not get anybody to even throw a stupid lowball offer on the table. Most people know what money they want spend and want to negotiate a higher price down.

I think it's a reflection of the nervous luxury toy market with not many sales.

I have stumbled across a 2009 115hp Yamaha fourstroke. For $6500. Would that create better market value.
    To be able to sell for 25k plus?

Just have to ask, why do you have Damo's dodgy boat building factory or boat repairs on your posts.
    Just curious because from your posts sounds like you do pretty good work and that short sentence would put anyone off.
    Darren

Hey Darren that sentence is a signature I put on every post. Because I do a lot of cashie work at home for dodgy boat repairs.

And if someone was to be concerned about the boat's condition because of a signature on a forum. I don't think they really should be buying a used boat.

Yeah most people on this forum have read your previous posts on different subjects and like me probably think you seem to know what your doing. Most likely who ever ends up buying your boat will indeed get a good buy and there's a high chance they wouldn't have ever been on this forum anyhow.
    Wasn't having a go at ya i just thought it was a shame to put that on ya signature when you give good not dodgy advice.
    Darren

Yeah thanks darren. The signature is a little comedy take on the questions I face on a daily basis. I have often thought of creating a small business using a similar catch phrase.

Damo

Ive been trying to buy a good second tinny for a while now and basically given up and will most likely go new…also most on gumtree who are negotiable are not, ie a couple of hundred bucks, they also consider that a 1000 buck sounder 5 years ago is still a thousand buck sounder today?

Ive found sellers seem to have an unrealistic value of it compared to a new package…. Ive tried to break it down on ads that interest me and wont bother if i feel its too close to a new package price,

ie a good hull, trailer is worth x and then usual issue is the motor. Where the issue arises is motor which often you need to think about a re-power, factor that in and your in new boat territory with an old hull and why bother as you have an old hull which you dont know how its treated.

How much is that old Jonno really worth if you sell it privately? take that off the price and then ask what your really asking for the hull/trailer is worth and also its a private resto no offence.

Even looking at a tinny im looking at what is the sounder, motor etc and what do i need to do to personalise the the boat, if thats too much bucks then look for the next one..

personally whats the hull/trailer worth and then motor, it has to make sense to a guy who will re-power it and i'd let them do it, i wouldnt spend the bucks on that re-power , because even with a nice re-power its still an older boat privately restored and i reckon you wouldnt get your money back.

Cheers
    Mike
    Tangles KFC