Thread: Downrigger question

Downrigger question

I have given up using yamashita boards, drives me nuts constantly coming on to surface. harder to manage than my wife.....

I only occasionally troll for mackerel in the bay, nothing sophisticated or complicated needed.

I was looking at Escapin Tackle downriggers Handerson brand for $99 including the ball.
    Looks like would match my needs of cheap, sturdy but nothing complicated, hoping it would survive for basic trolling.

Problem is I wont screw anything else to boat.

How can I make this unit to fit in to my existing rod holder?

http://www.escapin.com.au/shop/index...654e913ffa2a58

Re: Downrigger question

I have the model up from this and brought a gimbal that fits into a rod holder. You can get them from the same mob or most tackle shots.

Works a treat - Holder just screws into the base.

I was having the same trouble with the Yamashita ones too. Shortened the line between it and the spoon to about 2m.Problem solvered.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by blairv70 View Post
    I have the model up from this and brought a gimbal that fits into a rod holder. You can get them from the same mob or most tackle shots.

Works a treat - Holder just screws into the base.
    just had a look at gimbal holder, exactly what I needed, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Callop View Post
    I was having the same trouble with the Yamashita ones too. Shortened the line between it and the spoon to about 2m.Problem solvered.
    is your hook up rate still similar spoon being closer to board?
    I had 4-5 mt leader previously

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    is your hook up rate still similar spoon being closer to board?
    I had 4-5 mt leader previously
    Honest answer is I don't know as the only way I could get the boards to stay down was to shorten the leader.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION