Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four stroke back to two stroke

Four stroke back to two stroke

Anyone ever gone back to a two stroke after owning a four stroke?

Re: Four stroke back to two stroke

Mercruiser back to 2 stroke does that help?

It would be hard to do I reckon.

I had both for a while, and damn that little 15HP Merc (American) stunk.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Seriously! Why revert from a 2 too a 4 then revert back from a 4 to a 2? Two strokes might be great on torque but they smoke (old carby model I'm referring to) there shit on fuel consumption, noisy at high rpm and can be very temperamental when starting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Well technically I fit into this category, I had a mercury two stroke on a tinnie that blew up , I then replaced this with a 40Hp four stroke Yamaha.
    about a year after that I upgraded to a larger boat (second hand) that has a 150 Etec on the back so I have gone 2 stroke to four and back to to 2 stroke.
    In my opinion I would have preferred that I had a 150 four stroke as opposed to a smart 2 stroke but beggars cant be choosers.
    I still have the tinnie with the 40 hp on the back and its an awesome little motor the only problem is its so quiet I have tried to start an already running engine a few times.

I have purchased a new boat and now deciding on the motor. I would prefer a four stroke but unfortunately on a budget and may have to opt for a two stroke. I am also of the opinion I may not recoup the thousands difference in fuel savings.

never had a issue starting any 2 stroke i owned and that would be over 20 engines from early 70s seahorses to new yamaha 30hp 3 cyclidners and everything in between
    good servicing clean fuel and clean carbs and never a issue

ive just bought my first 4 stroke a 50hp yamaha tiller and loving the no oil in the mix an smooth idling etc
    noise has never worried me enough to make it a concern

use what you can afford
    there is no point upgrading to a four stroke if you have a older 2 stroke and dont do a lot of hours
    50-100 hours a year the fuel savings do not off set the purchase price

One other point that can be forgotten is the cost of the oil associated with a 2 stroke, on my Etec its $85 for a gallon and I seem to need to fill the reservoir up on a fairly regular basis . Probably around every 300-400 L of fuel uses a gallon of oil depending on what speed I am doing.
    its one thing to get 170 fuel and have a full tank of petrol its another to spend $170 and get 8L of oil!

as the old argument goes, you can put in a bit at a time, or change it all at once with a filter, and have to get rid of the old oil to land fill, your choice....

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Mercruiser back to 2 stroke does that help?

Same here! I downsized from a Twin Mercruiser 4.3 V6 to a 150hp Mercury 2-stroke. Annual service & repair cost went down from $9000 to $300 That is mostly due to the fact that the outboard is on a trailer out of the water.

I have a Yamaha 150HP HPDI 2 stroke and starts like a dream every time even after sitting for a month or two. Has heaps of tourque and runs pretty quiet. Previously had a honda 4 carby model and always had issues with the carbies.

It depends a bit if you're talking about an injected 2 stroke? If not, Hmmm, I reckon it would be really hard to go back from a four stroke! Keep in mind that boats with 2 strokes are much more difficult to sell, so when that time comes you will recoup the extra cost of the four. Combine that with superior fuel consumption, range, no oil use and the fact that modern four strokes are lovely in all running, and for my money, it's a no brainer.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

As Fishard said, I am on my second four stroke and love them, quiet, no smell, troll for ages and no worries, cheap on juice.In saying that ,just bought a tinnie with a 25 Yammy 2 banger for a song, reliable old donk.

I could never go back. My new 225hp Yamaha V6 offshore uses very little more fuel than my 4 year old 2 stroke merc did.