Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Election Candidates Responses on Recreational Fishing - STATE

2015 Election Candidates Responses on Recreational Fishing - STATE

CAREFISH & Queensland Recreational Fishing Network

Recreational Fishing Industries StakeHolders - 27.01.2015

QLD Election 2015

As promised, we've collected responses from parties that responded to our election questionnaire. These were LNP, Labor, Greens and PUP, and their policy announcements are attached. Responses from sitting MP's were unfortunately almost non-existent, however if any would like to make relevant late announcements, we'd be happy to distribute them.

Please note, these attachments are copied verbatim, some are extracts from much larger announcements, and these extracts should be read in context.

CAREFISH does not seek to promote, endorse or otherwise any particular political party or ideology, nor are we beholden what-so-ever to any. However, we are happy to pat any candidate or party on the back for job well done (as we see it) when it comes to recreational fishing and marine health issues. The opposite also applies, and rightly so. We make no comment on issues outside of fishing and marine ecosystem health (clearly closely related subjects).

There is a LOT of work to be done on water quality, harvest, science,management and community engagement/stewardship, and those wheels turn slowly, as do the political wheels, (alas). As voters, we may not be able to solve the world's problems today, but it is vital that we keep those wheels turning, and in the right direction, and reward those that take the lead.

In a Nutshell

We've made a quick summary of recent party directions and positions below.

LNP

*2012 election. Put up the promise to buy out 50% of east coast gill net capacity with a $9m industry buy back with "A FOCUS ON HIGH VALUE RECREATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL AREAS". This recently finalised with all money spent, resulting in 117 of the 397 issued gill net endorsements returned to the state (which is good) but leaving 81 to go by those numbers (note NT has 16 total as a comparison). No FOCUS ON HIGH VALUE RECREATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL AREAS was attempted making those parts of the promise broken.

* As soon as elected LNP discarded two important plans that had been long in the making and had involved considerable community involvement and investment. They were 'The Qld Coastal Plan' and 'Stage Two of the East Coast Inshore Fin Fish Fishery Review'

* Faced up to UNESCO with a 'Strategic Assessment' that was roundly condemned as inadequate, putting the World Heritage listing of the GBR in peril, still not resolved. It barely mentioned fishery related issues.

* Commissioned an independent 'Fisheries Management Review'. This is welcomed (and long overdue), however the findings and recommendations are secret, nothing has been announced (or even leaked) so we have no idea of its direction.

* Have gone into this election with policy announcement regarding Net Free Zones they call ROFA's "The LNP believes best management of our fisheries can be achieved in a portfolio that does not operate uniquely or separately". Sadly this tells us that LNP DO NOT support Net Free Areas close to community centres, going against community will and even against LNP's own coastal MP's.

* Have done nothing to resolve the allegedly rorted PPV/RUF levy (approx $5m pa) that all private boat owners pay via rego to reform the fishery especially commercial over allocation and to establish Net Free Zones.

* Did not answer CAREFISH election questionnaire. Does not appear to be listening very well to the electorate.

LABOR

* Pre 2012 election. Local MP Steve Wettenhall (Barron River) had worked with CAREFISH for well over a year to assist in the implementation of 'Trinity Bay Net Free Area' (False Cape to Nth Trinity Beach) but did not achieve it in the end resulting in a backlash at that poll.

* 2012 election. Put up the promise to allocate $12m to a gill net buy back.

* 2015 election. Announces a further gill net buyback "The health of the Great Barrier Reef also depends on the health of key species including native fish, dugongs and sea turtles. There is also growing evidence that these populations are being harmed by commercial netting practices. A Labor Government will reserve up to $10 million of our additional Great Barrier Reef funding commitment to fund the buy-back of net fishing licences in key areas".

* STOP PRESS/ Bombshell from Labor: CAREFISH has been in negotiations for some time regarding our Net Free campaign. Today Labor have responded and announced Cairns, Mackay and Keppel will finally get proposed net free areas! Please see the attachments/ letter from Tim Mulherin (Deputy Leader Labor). This is a major breakthrough!

GREENS

* Pre 2015 election. Have not worked well with any fishing groups. Had ideological agendas and caused many rifts in the community.

* 2015 Election. Issued statement supporting Gill Net Free Areas.Announced in its policy... The Queensland Greens support the requests for New Free Areas, and for making these areas off limits to gill net fishers.

* Also announced Create Local Marine Fishing Councils that would participate in research and education activities that would provide input into the creation of in-shore fishing legislation.

* Have taken a more sensible approach to fisheries matters aligning themselves to many of our philosophies. Good on them for that! Their recreational fishing policy looks close to what we'd write. Hopefully we can work toward common goals.

PUP

* 2015 election. Issued statement supporting Gill Net Free Areas "Our position is clear in that we will support the creation of recreational-only fishing areas near major population centres in Queensland. We believe recreational fishing contributes substantially to the tourism sector and we will work closely with recreational fisherman to ensure it has a healthy, prosperous and robust future".

KAP

* Pre 2012 election. Was first party to publically support Net Free Areas in Qld and provided catalyst for the recent Net Buy Back

* Still awaiting response to our questionnaire or a policy announcement. CAREFISH understands that KAP still supports Net Free Areas.

Independents

* No independents have responded from FNQ, however others from aroundthe state have supported Net Free Areas. None have rejected them as yet.

Finally, a quick summary to show parties that support GILL NET FREE AREAS

LABOR YES
    PUP YES
    GREENS YES
    KAP YES
    LNP NO

Please distribute this information throughout your networks. Media, feel free to reproduce any/all of this document. Candidates, you can contact me as you wish, as below.

This is a forum and all views are welcome.

Best regards
    Paul Aubin
    CAREFISH

Bog Out / Cairns Bed n Boat / Rent a Reef Boat

www.qrfn.org
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 29-01-2015 at 07:04 AM.
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Re: 2015 Election Candidates Responses on Recreational Fishing - STATE

The Fraser Coast Fishing Alliance has also asked ALL our local Candidates/Parties the following Questions and will post the responses to these 1st thing tomorrow morning.

Dear ..........

We are writing to you to confirm your position recreational fishing related issues effecting the Fraser Coast.

Visitor Expenditure generated through Recreational Fishing in the Fraser Coast equates to approximately $39 million per annum figure. It is important to note that this figure is based on visitors only, and it does not take into account the value generated by recreational fishing by keen fisherman who reside within the Fraser Coast - this figure would be significant.

The figure of $39 million is compiled by the International Visitor Survey (IVS) and the National Visitor Survey (NVS) which is collated by Tourism Research Australia. This data is then distributed to the State Tourism Organisations and then distributed to the regional tourism organisations.

Through the Fraser Coast Destination Tourism Plan, it is estimated that if the Fraser Coast is to increase its share of the Queensland recreational fishing market by 8% by the year 2020, the value of visitor expenditure generated purely through recreational fishing would equate to approximately $107 million per annum by the year 2020. Again this does not include local expenditure – purely visitors. Information C- Fraser Coast opportunities .

We need our decision makers to truly realise the value of recreational fishing both socially and economically and “correct” our Great Sandy Marine Park by fairly compensating the commercial fishers to be removed and make our GSMP a NET FREE AREA !

The follow is also a questionnaire that we would appreciate your response on at your earliest convenience please. All responses will be then shared with our full membership and contact lists.

Fraser Coast Fishing Alliance Inc & the Queensland Recreational Fishers Network

Weipa, Cooktown, Douglas Region, Cairns, Mackay, Keppel region, Fraser Coast, Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay
    And The Fraser Coast Fishing Alliance Inc.

We note the calling of a snap election for January 31. As a Queensland wide association of regional recreational fisher groups reporting to a large e-network and membership, we request urgent information to assist voters to decide who they’ll vote for.

Queensland has a strong and undeniable history of over allocation in all of its commercial fisheries dating back decades. Depletion of fish stock has diminished community involvement in healthy fishing activities and almost annihilated tourism opportunities.

From a recreational fisher point of view, last election was marked with the bi-partisan recognition that the commercial net fishery was heavily over allocated resulting in diminished fishing profits and reduced fish stocks causing community unrest. Election promises were made after an agreement was reached and signed off on between SUNFISH, QSIA, WWF and AMPTO, this agreement requesting a 50% reduction of gill net permits.

LABOR offered $12m to reduce the gill net fishery via a buyback. LNP offered a $9m net buyback with a focus on high use recreational areas and areas of high conservation value, plus $1m for better monitoring/enforcement. Other minor party’s also made promises.

LNP honoured the commitment to spend $9m on a net buyback however less than 30% was removed from the fishery (around 117 out of 397) and no focus on high recreational use areas or high environmental importance areas (which was a key element of the original election promise) was attempted.

Q/ LNP

It is clear that the election commitment made previously has only been partially completed. Please comment on this and perhaps make direction as to where your party would head on this issue if elected.

Q/ LNP

consultants (MRAG) recently completed an extensive review of Qld’s Fisheries and that report has been handed to LNP. QRFN supports this review and it is of major interest to stakeholders and interested parties. We request that the report and recommendations be publicly released asap along with the LNP intention re implementation. Please comment.

Q/LNP/Candidates

Great Sandy Marine Park ( GSMP ) is THE ONLY marine park in Australia ( possibly the world) that allows commercial netting to continue in the YELLOW Conservation zones ! What is the LNP’s plan to “correct “ this anomaly ?

Q/ All parties/candidates

How will voting for you benefit recreational fishers if you were successful?

Q/ All parties/candidates

Communities all the way around the Qld coast have repeatedly requested waters close to their community centre be made off limits to gill net fishers. The practice of allowing industrial size gill nets in the middle of towns working right through the barramundi closed season has decimated fish stocks and affected recreational experience and tourism opportunities. There are 11 small areas identified and documented state wide requesting Net Free Areas (NFA’s). Other states and the Northern Territory have long recognised the importance of maintaining healthy fish stocks, Queensland has not. What is your position on this?

QRFN & FCFA will be compiling answers and posting them widely in the last week of January, so a timely response will be appreciated.

Regards
    Scott Mitchell
    PO Box 1882
    Hervey Bay Qld 4655

M 0428 484 499

Chairman FCFA

http://www.frasercoastfishingalliance.com.au
    https://www.facebook.com/FraserCoastFishingAlliance

Board member

https://www.keepaustraliafishing.com.au

Committee member

http://www.qrfn.org

Fraser Coast Fishing Alliance - Home

www.frasercoastfishingalliance.com.au

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

For Labor Fishing policy just ask Greens - they decide how much more lock out areas for rec fishers - but they will tell you after the election

Bahhahahah have a look who has finally turned up WHERE is YOUR policy , pffffft and the joke goes on . Be careful Mark because after Cando loses his seat you'll be giving yours up , what a joke .. MattImageUploadedByTapatalk1422503403.387062.jpg

It is incorrect to say that the LNP is against ROFAS or NFAs. We are considering it in the light of the recent review. The minister has NOT said NO.
    And I have publicly given my support to the Rec Fishing Haven for Moreton Bay in the waters of my electorate - Cleveland. The impact on any commercial fishers must be properly considered and mitigated though - that is the only caveat for me. I cannot speak for other electorates. And we now need to see what happens in the election. But a vote for the ALP or minor parties will bring more lockouts and less rec fishing rights because the Green masters have probably already got it through the Green preference deals. Only the LNP will keep delivering for rec fishers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    It is incorrect to say that the LNP is against ROFAS or NFAs. We are considering it in the light of the recent review. The minister has NOT said NO.
    And I have publicly given my support to the Rec Fishing Haven for Moreton Bay in the waters of my electorate - Cleveland. The impact on any commercial fishers must be properly considered and mitigated though - that is the only caveat for me. I cannot speak for other electorates. And we now need to see what happens in the election. But a vote for the ALP or minor parties will bring more lockouts and less rec fishing rights because the Green masters have probably already got it through the Green preference deals. Only the LNP will keep delivering for rec fishers
    RUBBISH...Matt.

I'm sure Mike will be right along to discuss this with you but in the mean time read the labor policy above and read Scotto s response he received . MattImageUploadedByTapatalk1422503811.642259.jpg

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...38#post1540638

Haven't seen you for awhile... Is there an election or something coming up?

A little birdy in the LNP told me you were instructed to stay away for fishing forums this election Mark.
    I say good on you for defying your party and showing up here again.

Mark, you and I have often spoken about rec fishing and I know you're well aware of the proposal to establish a world class recreational fishing haven in Moreon Bay, and are supportive of it. The proposal recognises the potential for having to deal with the pro effort in the proposed area. I also know that as my local member, you are supportive.

But let's not beat about the bush. As my local member you can't deliver SQUAT on this unless the LNP makes a public policy commitment to it prior to the election. we beat the bush about the Marine Park changes and despite your support, got nothing.

So in similarly straight terms, please tell us what is the official LNP party position on the Keepfishingaustralia proposal for the Moreton Bay recreational fishing haven?

Yes or no? Supported or not? If supported, bywhen will it be done, because we are sick of promises to "investigate" this or that, and nothing apart from a report is delivered. Waste of time.

So, please post a link to the party's policy document where it's recreational fishing policies are outlined so we can vote in a more informed way on Saturday.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Mark, you and I have often spoken about rec fishing and I know you're well aware of the proposal to establish a world class recreational fishing haven in Moreon Bay, and are supportive of it. The proposal recognises the potential for having to deal with the pro effort in the proposed area. I also know that as my local member, you are supportive.

But let's not beat about the bush. As my local member you can't deliver SQUAT on this unless the LNP makes a public policy commitment to it prior to the election. we beat the bush about the Marine Park changes and despite your support, got nothing.

So in similarly straight terms, please tell us what is the official LNP party position on the Keepfishingaustralia proposal for the Moreton Bay recreational fishing haven?

Yes or no? Supported or not? If supported, bywhen will it be done, because we are sick of promises to "investigate" this or that, and nothing apart from a report is delivered. Waste of time.

So, please post a link to the party's policy document where it's recreational fishing policies are outlined so we can vote in a more informed way on Saturday.
    Yeah let's see it ,you would think that is the first thing he would put up here before bagging everything else around . Don't hold your breath waiting ... MattImageUploadedByTapatalk1422522474.399934.jpg

Well, it seems that the LNP aren't very interested in the recreational fishing vote, or presume we will give it to them in the basis that they are the lesser of the available evils. Pretty pathetic attitude, IMO.

Mark responded to an email I sent him in similar terms to the above post, and said:

Hi Grant.
    Thank you for your email.
    The minister has responded. He has said that he is considering it as part of the current fisheries review and that he has not ruled it out nor agreed to it. I am arguing the yes case and will hope to have much support in the next Parliament upon our re-election.
    Regards
    Mark

I have told him to inform the Minister, on behalf of us recreational anglers, that that response is not good enough, and we want an answer before the election one way or the other, and in the absence of a reply, will have to assume that their response is NEGATIVE.

I await his further reply.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Mark

Quote " The LNP believes best management of our fisheries can be achieved in a portfolio that does not operate uniquely or separately and our current arrangement where our fisheries are managed equitably while recognising the interest and needs of all, is the best approach."

Straight from your media release .... And we could get either of our local LNP sitting members to even engage with us - very disappointing !

Thanks Scott

I am hoping that the LNP will be a little less arrogant once Noddy loses his seat and they regain power with a considerably smaller majority. It might be time for them to take the initiative and do some good like Tom Burns did in the 90's
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

With your qualification in Marine Science it is hard to see how you could back a 400 berth marina at Toondah Harbour in a "Recreational Fishing Haven".

Party Politics must be a difficult thing.