Thread: Help! Trout fishing!

Help! Trout fishing!

Hey guys, I have never been freshwater fishing and on Saturday I'm going fly fishing with a friend at Thompsons creek dam up in the blue mountains, I need some tips if anyone has fished that dam, or similar dams. I'm also bringing a spinning rod with some soft and hard bodied plastics, so if anyone has any tips for me, that would be super! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Help! Trout fishing!

I haven't fished that part of the country, but generaly speaking, I have done a lot of Trout fishing. Alway's with spinning gear, mostly use CELTA's, a small blade spinner, with good returns. As for fly fishing I am very ammaturist at it, it is an art on it's own. People I know that fly fish generally don't have the catch rate of spinning. Being a dam shouldn't be a problem, are you fishing from the bank or a canoe? Have caught trout in dams of varying size again with spinners. Another good lure for dams is the Tassie Devil. Alway's allow your spinners to sink before you start to retrieve. With your Fly rig, see what type (if any) of insects are hanging around the banks and water surface, and try to match your fly to that. Hope this help's, good luck. Trout are a great sport fish, and don't give them ay slack in your line or you will lose them.
    Cheers
    Rob T/Red C

Fly fishing can be more productive than spinning in some situations, but it takes a lot of experience to get to that stage. I don't have it.

In addition to the lures Rob mentioned above, my number one favourite is a Rapala CD 5 or 7, in the Rainbow trout pattern. The floating one too, not the sinking model.

Thank guys, you have helped me a lot in choosing what to take, I'm also going to my local tackle shop now, one of the guys there have fished the dam before, so hopefully he can also help (:

Hey bud, done well on zip baits there, khasmins! Gulp flick baits, atomic hardz! Could do it tough if it's hot, but worth a try! Monster trout in there! And don't fish of the dam wall, big fines if you get caught! Good luck mate

Hey JuzzyRawrs, how did you go

Quote Originally Posted by rob tranter View Post
    Hey JuzzyRawrs, how did you go
    Hey Rob, haven't gone yet haha, we had problems with the rental car, so rescheduled until this Saturday, I will update when we go

Keep an eye out for snakes to bud!!! Hopefully trout are the only ones biting.....

Will do toddo, thanks!

Just an update, a few things have come up and we haven't gotten a chance to go yet, we will probably wait until it gets a bit colder since it wouldn't be very good seeing as it's been pretty hot up there lately.

I'll post a report when I've gone (: