Thread: Solar trickle chargers

Solar trickle chargers

Got a Hilux in NQ that only gets a run every 6 to 9 months and then only to pull my boat in and out of the water. Currently have a N70ZZ battery that I have to hump 150 metres up the beach to start it. Have tried to leave it there but they don't last.
    My question is how good are the the solar trickle chargers sold by Jaycar or Supercheap. What size and extra gear do I need to prevent any damage to the battery.

Re: Solar trickle chargers

Last time I looked these, they seemed to have more info on the sites selling them , now they don't say much at all.

From memory, a few claimed have a built in regulator, but most just seemed to say that if your battery is in the range of sizes quoted (i.e. a car battery, not a small SLA like I had), then it won't hurt it. I guess they figure that they don't put out enough juice to cause a problem.

Also, I had my doubts that the materials they are made from would survive continual exposure to the sun.

Ive got a 120watt one on my car to keep my batteries charged as my fridge runs all the time. It only cost $170 off fleabay and has a regulator. Surely there is other smaller models the same for. What u want.

My problem I'm over 1000Km away from it so can't check if the battery has boiled dry or is loosing charge. Guess I might have to try one and see how it goes.

I run a 5w on each of my boat batteries and the batteries are now 7 years old and still going. Yp getting a bit long in the tooth now and will probably replace them soon as I don't want to be stuck 100 odd kays of shore. The only thing I can put it down to is the little solar panels which I got from BCF when they were on special. The boat only went out once every 2 to 4 months so something was working there. I also used to have one on the patrol as it was only used every 3 to 4 weeks as I was given a company car. Actually did 7000klm in 4 years. I put a 20w on it as it seemed to drain and the 5w couldn't keep up. I think it was the alarm system draining it.The 20 was great always charged and the battery is just on 5 years old now

Might be better off with a 5 stage mppt and a proper panel. Like a ctec 250 or a redarc bcdc. They are going to last better in nq and will maintain a battery rather than just float charge it. Run an intermittent drain like a small light as well, to give the charger something to do. I run that setup on my current car, the drain being a beer fridge. It works well.