Re: Quintrex owner's. Renegade 460

Figured it out

75 km doable running down hill with a 6 Knott current

or over the edge of a cliff as previously stated
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mc View Post
    The new 2015 merc 4 stroke 75hp-115hp has an optional gear case called Command Thrust (bigfoot). This has a ratio of 2.38:1 and allows you to put on a larger diameter prop off the higher hp motors.
    Not sure whether this 75 merc has one on or not?
    Ok then, the 2.38 doesn't actually help the argument at all. This ratio gives you 57 or 60km/hr at 5500 or 5800rpm and 10% slip.

Nowhere near the 75km/hr claimed.

Those gearboxes are not designed for extra speed, the larger dia props are designed for extra low-end push for heavy boats.

I think at this stage the only conclusion is that the dude at Quintrex who is Oldie's informant was, errrr.... exaggerating somewhat.

As i said, you wouldn't want to be in that boat at such a speed anyway. It would be barely in control and if you hit any kind of wave or wake, well, who knows where you might find yourself!

And frankly, it is just a factor that no-one would have as a relevant consideration for that kind of boat anyway. Imagine blasting down a top-end river at that speed and round the corner to find a 4m sharp-toothed mud gecko floating smack in front of you! Or, you come across a submerged rock bar! Oops! Look Mum, no gearbox!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

It looks like Oldie has ran away with his tail between his legs hahaha
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Im still here just figured not worth continuing the thread as people made their own calculation that the speed wasn't achieved so no point going on with it, would be like head butting a brick wall and i see no need to do that.

i find any tinny doesnt really like anything over 50 without getting skittish
    my 420 at 55kph wouldnt need much to throw you round in the boat