Thread: 60 Miles Out Monster Snapper, Ling, And Tuna

60 Miles Out Monster Snapper, Ling, And Tuna

Fishing 60 miles offshore with charlie lawless at the falcon rig, we found some huge snapper, tons of blackfin tuna and had a few shots at ling and amberjack. i broke a 100 pound braid on a big grouper and bent out a hook on a 7 once flutter jig on a big amberjack with 100 pound braid. i cant wait for the next time i get to get out in that deep of water again, there are some big fish out there..i have an invite to bring the kayak next time as well..not gonna lie that makes me nervous but maybe..
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"

Re: 60 Miles Out Monster Snapper, Ling, And Tuna

Thanks for the post

Nice fish there. Good cobia (ling I take it you call them)

Those red fish you call snapper, they look very similar to our saddle tail sea perch - from the lujanid family. If so they are pretty damn good eating!

Do you know the actual species name?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

northern red snapper, Lutjanus campechanus looks like the official name they are good eating
    unfortunately we were in international waters and its illegal here to keep them passed 10 miles offshore unless in season so they had to be released, it is difficult to find them anywhere near that big in state waters..

im honestly not sure why we call them ling, pretty sure its mostly a Texas thing i know up on the east coast of the US they call them cobia.
    we get them really big here, i have broken off 5 in the last 2 years from my kayak that were near 100 pounds that i fought for over an hour only to loose trying to bring them up on 65 pound braid..it has always fascinated me that cobia can be caught in australia, africa as well as the US and south america, you know they gotta be tough to live in so many extreme places. the biggest one i have landed from my kayak(about 80 pounds) had about 8 inches of stingray barb stuck in the roof of its mouth and it was going about business as normal no problem eating a 3 pound blue runner whole..my kayak friends started calling me the ling whisperer because i always seem to find one of two..kinda upped my game lately with 100# braid tired of breaking off fish..buying an Avet 50 today too for that pesky grouper..gonna put some 200 pound braid on it or something...

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"